People Complaining About Fighters Gassing...

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by S.D.Force, Oct 18, 2005.

1. S.D.Force

S.D.Force Blue Belt

I put this thread here instead of the TUF section b/c i think this is a more appropriate place for it.

We hear people complaining or just stating that "so and so" gassed during this or that fight. That their cadio isn't very good. Things like, "if only they worked more on their cardio they would be really good". "If only they had more stamina they could have won that fight."

If any of you watched the TUF fight between Mike Whitehead, and Rashad you will know what i'm getting at. Whitehead was considered one of the best conditioned guys on the Hughes team. Even including the welterweights. His stamina was outstanding by the standards of the other fighters and Matt Hughes. It was reported that on any of the treadmill and bike drills he better than anybody.

As we see, this doesn't always translate into fighting stamina. Other factors during a fight such as adrenaline, poor breathing control (people that tend to hold their breath or not breathe regularly), fear, poor ring management, panic, poor energy conservation and management, emotions, etc., etc. are major factors in a persons fighting stamina. Not just how well conditioned they are outside of the ring.

A person that doesn't get too emotional, and somebody who excels under the bright lights and pressure will win the "cardio" battle every time. The ability to excel under pressure is almost a god given trait, you either have it or you don't. It's a "nerves of steel mentality" that you just cannot train for or pretend to have. You can train all you want, but come game time only a few can really shine under the pressure. Randy Couture is a good example in fighting, Fedor as well. You could carry this over into almost all sports, in Football Ladanian Tomlinson on the Chargers is a good example of this.

So the next time anybody feels inclined to knock somebody for "poor cardio and conditioning", think again....That person just may have "off the charts cardio", although under the extreme pressure of a bout it just doesn't appear to be the case to the casual observer.

Having competed in many combat sports myself, i can attest to this phenomenon. It seems though that many people aren't truely aware of how significantly the bright lights and pressure can affect your stamina.

2. Stewart Kwong

Stewart Kwong Yellow Belt Professional Fighter

3. pSyKOaLby

pSyKOaLby Purple Belt

It'd be a lot nicer if you posted this in the MMA forum since a lot of the members in there are severely lacking in any real training, yet they criticize fighters non-stop.

4. Jeremy Henderson

Jeremy Henderson Amateur Fighter

Yup!!! Good post

5. S.D.Force

S.D.Force Blue Belt

actually, i wanted to put this in the MMA section for the reasons stated above, but wasn't sure about it. Anyway, i went ahead and put it over there too. Most of the people this topic applies to only post over there anyway.

6. How is the 3rd grade treating you?

7. S.D.Force

S.D.Force Blue Belt

what exactly is your point? you don't agree with the info. in the topic? are you one of Sherdogs 13y/o trolls that just wants to start shit with people?

Make an intelligent point or don't post at all.

8. dogmai

dogmai Orange Belt

I agree with this thread, people never take into account the mental game that goes into performing. Anxiety can suck the gas out of you a hell of a lot faster than anything you do physically, also you will to fight in general could be burried.

9. tf

tf Inside BJJ Podcast

good post. i think adrenaline and nerves can exhaust your system before you ever start to fight. some guys are just good practice players and some guys are gamers.

10. yomon

yomon Green Belt

maybe those people should actualy try it before they judge.

11. teep

teep Guest

Actually the Easetern Bloc countries DID train exactly for this part.

12. RizRan

RizRan Guest

Good Post. Tom Erikson once said he was in great shape but not fight shape.

13. Hamit Aktas

Hamit Aktas Amateur Fighter

Good post. People should memorize it.