People are telling me this old school Gracie pass is viable

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
if I use the "passive" arm properly.

This was the second or third pass I learned, way back in 2001. I don't think I've even tried it in the last decade.

Does anyone pull this off?

[YT]0yX8v4bVGBo[/YT]

Video isn't working for me but I'm guessing you're talking about the notorious Gracie Gift Pass. The pass works if you majorly outclass uke and don't mess up a single step . . . otherwise welcome to Triangle City, population: you.

Video isn't working for me but I'm guessing you're talking about the notorious Gracie Gift Pass. The pass works if you majorly outclass uke and don't mess up a single step . . . otherwise welcome to Triangle City, population: you.

Yeah, that's the one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yX8v4bVGBo

"Gracie Jiu Jitsu Basics Vol.2 Passing the guard - escape headlock part 1" is what it's called on Youtube. Ignore the headlock part, not sure why the vid poster titled it that.

I train under a Rickson affiliated school and it is actually one of the main passes they teach beginners and tested for on our blue belt test. However there are some huge differences in the way it is taught.

You never attempt this still in the closed guard you break the guard open first. you posture with your arm around their leg and your other arm is away is outside the guard so you cant be triangled, them basically follow the same steps. I am probably explaining something you already familiar with as I was under belief this was a very common pass. If you are only referring to following the exact steps above then, no idk how you could pull this off against someone good.

Last edited:
That's a very common pass but a highly questionable guard break.

Don't know why one would use that when there are so many better choices.

Forward thinking. That Gracie business mentality. Save the deadly secret-master stuff for the platinum DVD set.

I've seen some legit blackbelts teaching it and using it. I guess there's a lot more to it than meets the eye.
Because at first look, it almost makes me believe this was some epic trolling from the Gracies, directed towards the guys who thought "i'll watch their dvd's, then beat them!".
As in they wanted people to watch their dvd's, and then triangle them to Bolivion.

I've been trying to work it the last 6mo. It's hit or miss. Got it on whites, blues and purples maybe 1/2 times. Tried it at open mat at an open gym on a fellow brown of similar size, hes about 10yrs younger. Got triangled deep. Haha. He must've thought I was an idiot. To put my arm in between his legs. I think the trick is killing the hip, arm and grips do make a difference. The arm in lulls him into trying to shoot his hips for the triangle/armbar combo. I have had this pass done to me by a bb. It is a pressure pass.

I train under a Rickson affiliated school and it is actually one of the main passes they teach beginners and tested for on our blue belt test. However there are some huge differences in the way it is taught.

You never attempt this still in the closed guard you break the guard open first. you posture with your arm around their leg and your other arm is away is outside the guard so you cant be triangled, them basically follow the same steps. I am probably explaining something you already familiar with as I was under belief this was a very common pass. If you are only referring to following the exact steps above then, no idk how you could pull this off against someone good.

OHHHHH I know what you're talking about it. I can't find it now, but there's a Pedro Sauer vid on youtube of him breaking the guard by using posture and sitting with his hands on the uke's belt, pinning his legs/hips in place with his elbows. When the uke resists, he's naturally going to try to bring his leg into a place where he gives up the underhook, so Pedro lets him pull his leg free, the just puts the leg on his shoulder and stacks.

I never even considered that was basically the same move, but with a different guard break.

Yeah, I guess it's the guard break that I'm baffled by.

Look for vids of Joe Moreira and his student Roy Harris teaching this pass properly.

Yeah the way it's taught in that video is not a good way to pass. You need to control the hip somehow so he doesn't triangle you. Just putting his leg on your shoulder and leaving your arm out like that is asking to be triangled.

The thing is that it's very hard to controll the hips while pusing the leg down against a resisting opponent.

isn't the idea you do this on an untrained opponent...quite a lot of techniques in the Gracie system are adapted to be specific to working on untrained opponents

for example he said in the video if his legs are open he would just walk across...obviously you can't do that to a blue belt

This is a much better variation, taught by Pedro Sauer.

Seems like this relies on your opponent having a shitty triangle.

Ive always known it as the stack pass. the way I was shown it you don't leave the arm in like that? you have you elbow in tight to you and hold around their belt so they cant triangle you. your also meant to really stack them and put a lot of pressure on their leg so its nearly touching their face. Its used in judo also.

Ive always known it as the stack pass. the way I was shown it you don't leave the arm in like that? you have you elbow in tight to you and hold around their belt so they cant triangle you. your also meant to really stack them and put a lot of pressure on their leg so its nearly touching their face. Its used in judo also.

Yeah we've done something similar. I use it in BJJ and if I do it properly I don't get triangled.

Back