People are fearful because they focus too much on self.

I think I'll put my life on the line for others especially if they are family but I cannot claim if I definitely will since I've never been in that situation. Knowing myself, I feel like I'd be brave enough but when that situation arises I may not find myself so courageous. Time will tell but hopefully I will never have to face a situation like that.

Y
People are fearful because they consider the consequences. When you act without thinking, you can get injured. Is it courage or stupidity?

You can only see that in retrospect, it depends on the outcome.

There are some seriously worrying people on sherdog

Life gets a lot easier and happier once you realize other people care about your stuff pretty equally the same amount as you care about theirs, snowflake.

It's a feature, not a bug. Now go and work your ass off to realize your goals.

Btw, good thread, TS, for once.

Yep.

It's the same as when someone may not perform or be or able to defend oneself when confronted with something dangerous but when that person's family is the focus of harm it's a totally different story.

Is being fearful then only caused by focusing on yourself?
Because your generalisation doesn't make sense. Monks are capable of conquering fear and they focus on themselves. Introverts are capable of bravery.

People that focus too much on others can be fearful for others aswel, like overprotective parents and partners, people who think society is doomed and they need to SJW the fuck out of it.

If you don't focus enough on yourself, you will neglect yourself.

The thing that makes people fearful is focusing on what can go wrong, instead on what is right to do. When someone is in danger things are already going wrong, so it's natural to focus on what is the right thing to do. The phase of what can go wrong has already passed.

Last edited:
No, people are fearful because they are focusing on self. Doesn't matter what aspect of the self you focus on. Your comment isn't wrong, but kind of ignores my OP.

So you feel that because someone was stupid and put themselves in danger, another person should put themselves in danger and possibly cause somebody else to put themselves in danger to save them. It isn't fear, it's Natural Selection and common sense.

I can see it. If I saw my trapped Mother underneath a car, that fucking this is coming off the ground one way or another.

Just pull the car forward bud..

Or, you can face fear, one cannot ignore the self except in singular occasions when the nervous system is overwhelmed by stimuli and has to shut down areas to be effective.

What you can do all the time is to push oneself and to test oneself. To work on your willpower and your understanding. To hunt out your misconception, your baseless avoidance.

Fear is a normal experience, it indicates danger. Overcoming fear where it is inappropriate is a primary aspect of becoming a well formed person.

You are just shoehorning in singular reductions of cognitive capacity into your own narrative of belief. It's quite self serving.

Love of cheese is what drives me. Cheese of all kinds. Marble, swiss, mozzarella, even the packaged kraft shit. Cheese on pizza, cheese on apples, I feel a great swell of pity for mice. If I saw a giant cheese in front of me I wouldn't think it was part of a trap either.

Love of cheese is what drives me. Cheese of all kinds. Marble, swiss, mozzarella, even the packaged kraft shit. Cheese on pizza, cheese on apples, I feel a great swell of pity for mice. If I saw a giant cheese in front of me I wouldn't think it was part of a trap either.

I hope the cheese will be the death of you.

A man sees a child walk into the street and notices a bus is going to run the child over. He jumps into action and runs and pushes the child out of the way and, in the process, both of his legs are run over. He loses both legs and in the hospital he is interviewed and asked…

“Why did you save that child? Weren’t you afraid and fearful you would die?
The man answers calmly, “No. I was only focusing on the fact a young child was about to be killed. I didn’t even have the time to think about myself. All my thoughts were for the child and I had no fear.

We’ve heard stories like this. Weak people or even teenagers lifting cars off relatives. These people are so focused on others that something empowers them.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...y-strength-lift-burning-car-off-dad/78675898/

1 John 4:18

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Perfect love empowers them.

Perfect love is learning to only focus on others rather than yourself. If your entire focus is on others, it is impossible for your body/vessel to hold fear.

The person that only focuses on others rather than themselves holds perfect love. Many people who experience more fear than necessary need to learn to be more compassionate and nonjudgmental toward others. This will open the door for them to love and appreciate others differently, and eventually, love them for who they are. The love they learn to hold for others will cast out fear if provoked.

Why does the premise of this discussion assume that fear is a negative thing?

Is being fearful then only caused by focusing on yourself?
Because your generalisation doesn't make sense. Monks are capable of conquering fear and they focus on themselves. Introverts are capable of bravery.
You should do some research on monks. They make vows, of celibacy, of silence, of poverty, of fasting, of losing all self. Monks are not associated with the word selfish, as you are implying, more like selfless. Do some research on monks and nature. Many of them want to abandon all to the earth... this is a selfless action, a life action and purpose.

People that focus too much on others can be fearful for others aswel, like overprotective parents and partners, people who think society is doomed and they need to SJW the fuck out of it.

If you don't focus enough on yourself, you will neglect yourself.

The thing that makes people fearful is focusing on what can go wrong, instead on what is right to do. When someone is in danger things are already going wrong, so it's natural to focus on what is the right thing to do. The phase of what can go wrong has already passed.
Everything you are saying about overprotective parents just proves my point. Are parents overprotective because they love their children or because they couldn't imagine life without their child. So it is really about them. Go talk to a child with an overprotective parent and the child will tell you that's the parents problem, not theirs.

I already said in another post to remain healthy you need to make yourself a priority at times. But it's how you balance everything that matters.

You said, "The thing that makes people fearful is focusing on what can go wrong..." = self focus/fear.
You said, " instead on what is right to do." = focus on others/love.

You're saying what I said, just differently.

Last edited:
Or, you can face fear, one cannot ignore the self except in singular occasions when the nervous system is overwhelmed by stimuli and has to shut down areas to be effective.

What you can do all the time is to push oneself and to test oneself. To work on your willpower and your understanding. To hunt out your misconception, your baseless avoidance.

Fear is a normal experience, it indicates danger. Overcoming fear where it is inappropriate is a primary aspect of becoming a well formed person.

You are just shoehorning in singular reductions of cognitive capacity into your own narrative of belief. It's quite self serving.
I was agreeing with everything you were saying until you said I was shoehorning. That is not true, not in the least... if anything I am shedding light on the principles of fear, by expounding on the bible. If fear has a root, it's an unhealthy focus on self. Now, what you are talking about is learning to control fear. Fighters talk about that and one even coined the phrase "controlled fear. In other words, he experiences fear, but he believes he is now driving the car. But if you re-read my post, I am expounding on fear focusing more on fear in general, not scared of fighting or whatnot. What I am saying, at the end of the day, is if you learn to focus on others more so than yourself then your vessel/body in general will run more efficiently on love rather than fear.

Last edited:
Back