pentagram choke?

It's a bullshit technique that's absolutely useless.

A) You won't get it on someone who is awake.

B) You give up like 100 other options (BETTER OPTIONS) to get to it.

C) It's dumb. Please don't watch Submissions101.

Oh god... I think this place might of finally possessed me... I made a cliche anti submissions101 post, god help me.

I know nothing of this choke or submissions 101 so I googled "pentagram choke" and the very first return was from submissions 101. I then decided to search the forums for anti-submissions 101 threads. You could write a book. Looks like I have some reading to do.

yeh when i saw it it seemed pretty implausible. i wondered if there might have been a more effective variation. personally i'd just go for the rear mounted triangle.

Another thread on the fucking pentagram choke, are you for real?

I don't want to see any more threads about this idiotic choke unless it's to say that they actually submitted someone with it to clown on them

sorry that i didnt take the time to read every thread in the forum before posting, bitch. :)

If you've taken your opponents back, look for the rnc.

After watching GerbJ's video on it, I gave it a shot. It's one of those things that's quite uncomfortable, but won't submit a guy in a fight (at least, not a high %). It's a neat trick, but I'd look at it more as a transitional thing, distract the guy with pain, isolate the arm, and then armbar. That said, I don't think I'll be using it much.

After watching GerbJ's video on it, I gave it a shot. It's one of those things that's quite uncomfortable, but won't submit a guy in a fight (at least, not a high %). It's a neat trick, but I'd look at it more as a transitional thing, distract the guy with pain, isolate the arm, and then armbar. That said, I don't think I'll be using it much.

thanks for the intelligent feedback. i was just inquiring because i had never heard of/seen it until recently and it had a certain 'cool' factor.

thanks for the intelligent feedback. i was just inquiring because i had never heard of/seen it until recently and it had a certain 'cool' factor.

Yeah, there seem to be a lot of moves or guards that have that 'cool' factor. Other than just a here and there mucking around with something, I tend to eschew that philosophy, and just stick more with the bread and butter moves. If you can get 3 sweeps and 3-5 subs from each position, you're gonna be a lot further along than if you've perfected the haduken hurricane dragon lock.

A lot of things you can tell are BS just from watching the videos about there, like putting your fist into the side of a guy's throat and calling it a no-gi ezekiel. Others, like the pentagram, need to be played with and felt to reach a conclusion.

lol, trust me, there is no "cool factor" to anything Ari Bolden does

exactly, like i was saying the video i saw seemed pretty implausible and in my opinion would have been relinquishing much more traditional/effective techniques, but i wasn't sure if there might have been some variation in technique that would prove more feasible and/or fruitful. cause it seems like it would look pretty bad ass if you caught someone in the pentagram lol

I looked it up but never tried it. Looks complicated.

It's no more complicated than a triangle, but you're right for not messing with it.

But from reverse? I understand a triangle's applications because I've drilled the hell out of them. When and why is this particular move advantageous, rather than say...a rear naked choke?

But from reverse? I understand a triangle's applications because I've drilled the hell out of them. When and why is this particular move advantageous, rather than say...a rear naked choke?

It's just another option, and if you're a higher belt, it could be a good transitional move, maybe. Keep in mind, it's not a triangle, I was just saying it's no more complicated than a triangle. After watching the video, I was thinking it was a modified triangle, but it's not, it's just a pain move.

It's just another option, and if you're a higher belt, it could be a good transitional move, maybe. Keep in mind, it's not a triangle, I was just saying it's no more complicated than a triangle. After watching the video, I was thinking it was a modified triangle, but it's not, it's just a pain move.

Fair enough. As a lowly white belt I'll stick to my meat and potato moves that have worked for me and train the other stuff slow and steady.

Back