Pendred: Croke Park and the Aviva are both fighting for Irish UFC event

Where would you prefer? I think I would prefer Croke park. The shape would suit it better, it has a larger capacity and it has a more historical context.

Dammit.. I always have to read what these guys say with an Irish accent or it just doesn't sound right

Where would you prefer? I think I would prefer Croke park. The shape would suit it better, it has a larger capacity and it has a more historical context.

I'd prefer Aviva. Croker might be just too big. Even some of the all-ireland finals with a crowd of 40k the place still looks empty. And you'd need binoculars to see the fighters from the cheap seats.

Either way would be great but I can't help but worry that croker could be a bit of a disaster.

Let him beat Aldo in Croker, the Aviva would be fine too but I find it doesn't facilitate a great atmosphere.

Could Conor really sell out Croke Park? Ive read that it is 80k seater. Could a McGregor fight fill it? How big actually is Conor in Ireland? I'm from England and he's very well known here by casual fans. One of the few fighters casuals have actually heard of along with Jones, GSP and Anderson.

Either would be fantastic, although I'd lean towards Croke Park just for the size and the history attached to the stadium. If they do Croke Park (83k seater - plus a massive pitch) I'd hope they would have reasonable ticket prices to ensure a sellout crowd, as they might struggle to fill it otherwise.

A stadium show would probably mean the sickest of cards too. Can't wait to see who will be on it.

I know nothing about either of these. Which would be the better venue for the fans?

Come on Croker. I will 100% be there to see the Goat win the world title for Ireland. We would then have more belts than Brazil. Lol.

I think MMA fans vastly overestimate the popularity of MMA in the US, Ireland and really anywhere in the world.

I think MMA fans vastly overestimate the popularity of MMA in the US, Ireland and really anywhere in the world.

Can't speak for US, but here in Ireland nearly all of my relatives knew that McGregor was fighting in a big event in Dublin. Before, they hadn't a clue what MMA was, they thought it was the WWE.

I know nothing about either of these. Which would be the better venue for the fans?

Aviva Stadium - home of Irish football and Rugby, around a 50k capacity. Very new.

Aviva_Stadium(Dublin_Arena).JPG

aviva-stadium-interior-north-west-(small).jpg

Croke Park - Home of Irish GAA, national sport. 80k capacity. Very old and with a lot of history attached to it. It was the venue of a massacre by the British Army during a GAA match and also held a Muhammed Ali fight.

Croke%20Park%20Medium%20cropped.ashx

Croke_Park_from_the_hill.jpg

Aviva Stadium - home of Irish football and Rugby, around a 50k capacity. Very new.

Aviva_Stadium(Dublin_Arena).JPG

aviva-stadium-interior-north-west-(small).jpg

Croke Park - Home of Irish GAA, national sport. 80k capacity. Very old and with a lot of history attached to it. It was the venue of a massacre by the British Army during a GAA match and also held a Muhammed Ali fight.

Croke%20Park%20Medium%20cropped.ashx

Croke_Park_from_the_hill.jpg

Thanks for the info. My guess is that Dana would go with the one with combat history so he can make that comparison while selling the fight.

Thing is, this isn't about mma. This is about McGregor and he is massive here. Everyone knows him and he could definitely sell a stadium.

Could Conor really sell out Croke Park? Ive read that it is 80k seater. Could a McGregor fight fill it? How big actually is Conor in Ireland? I'm from England and he's very well known here by casual fans. One of the few fighters casuals have actually heard of along with Jones, GSP and Anderson.

Probably not on his own, but you can bet that the card will be stacked with local fighters from both SBG and Team Ryano and some other local fighters.

Back