Social Pelosi tells Trump to postpone SOTU

glenwo2

Adamantium Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Pelosi tells Trump to postpone SOTU over partial shutdown

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi took the extraordinary step Wednesday of urging President Trump to delay his State of the Union address until the partial government shutdown ends, or submit the address in writing.

The president has been slated to deliver his televised annual address to a Joint Session of Congress on Jan. 29. But with no compromise in sight to resolve the standoff over government funding -- a stalemate that extended into its 26th day, with the impact deepening for furloughed federal workers and others -- Pelosi, D-Calif., suggested Trump put those plans on hold.

“On January 3rd, it was my privilege as Speaker to invite you to deliver the State of the Union address on January 29. The Constitution calls for the President ‘from time to time give the Congress Information of the State of the Union,” Pelosi wrote, but noted that “since the start of modern budgeting in Fiscal Year 1977, a State of the Union address has never been delivered during a government shutdown.”

She concluded: “Sadly, given the security concerns and unless the government re-opens this week, I suggest that we work together to determine another suitable date after government has re-opened for this address or for you to consider delivering your State of the Union address in writing to Congress on January 29.”

Pelosi detailed the need for proper security at events such as the State of the Union, citing comments made by Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen who recognized the “need for the full resources of the Federal Government to be brought to bear” to “ensure the security of these events.”

“The U.S. Secret Service was designated as the lead federal agency responsible for coordinating, planning, exercising, and implementing security for National Special Security Events…” Pelosi wrote. “However, both the U.S. Secret Service and the Department of Homeland Security have not been funded for 26 days now –with critical departments hamstrung by furloughs.”

Despite her suggestion to come to an agreement on a new date, Pelosi did not rescind the president’s invitation. That decision ultimately rests with her, as speaker of the House.

>>> Why on earth would Pelosi want Trump NOT to give a SOTU on the 29th? Her reasoning above did not give a direct answer.

Oh wait. I think I know why : CNN, MSNBC and the other fake news media outlets will have to air it where everyone else will see it.
I guess as liberals, they don't want Trump to explain his position. {<shrug}

Last edited:
Her reason is the security.
How was that missed?

Her reason is the security.
How was that missed?

Since when does she care what DHS has to say about security?

She doesn't want to have to stand behind President Trump for the duration looking like an idiot eating her face off.

She is just afraid that Trump may remember that all he has to do is mention how much Syria and Afghanistan is costing us and point out how she and other dems have no issues continuing to spend over 45 BILLION a year just for Afghanistan yet wont give 5 billion to protect our own borders...and what at least 10 or 12 of her supporters to turn against her. Wont be that much more because the whoring is strong in her supporters.

It will be a short speech.

bucket

Why would Trump do anything Pelosi asks him to do? It's practically a war now between the left and right, only with no bullets.

It will be a short speech.

bucket

Will it?
He won't mention the record high employment rates? Or the record low unemployment rates for blacks and veterans? Or our economy growing faster than anywhere on earth?
What about the US reducing more carbon emissions than any other nation, that anything to talk about?
Being oil independent, good to bring up or no?

What part is fucked exactly?

She is just afraid that Trump may remember that all he has to do is mention how much Syria and Afghanistan is costing us and point out how she and other dems have no issues continuing to spend over 45 BILLION a year just for Afghanistan yet wont give 5 billion to protect our own borders...and what at least 10 or 12 of her supporters to turn against her. Wont be that much more because the whoring is strong in her supporters.

You do realize 5 billion isn't going to build 2000 miles of wall don't you? What about the other 1800 miles of border?

"Leftists will try to silence opinions they disagree with." is as axiomatic as "Water is wet".

You do realize 5 billion isn't going to build 2000 miles of wall don't you? What about the other 1800 miles of border?
Rome wasn't built in a day.

You forget that there is a budget battle nearly every year now.

That sounds like a surefire way to make sure Trump does make the speach in case he was thinking about not. What was Pelosi thinking? She that afraid of what he would say to pin the shutdown on the Dems and get the support for them to cave and fund his wall?

Rome wasn't built in a day.

You forget that there is a budget battle nearly every year now.

So you're good with Trump just shutting down the government every time they need to pass a spending bill? You know the dems aren't funding a wall for the next two years.

That sounds like a surefire way to make sure Trump does make the speach in case he was thinking about not. What was Pelosi thinking? She that afraid of what he would say to pin the shutdown on the Dems and get the support for them to cave and fund his wall?

Trump said he was fine with owning the shutdown. What changed?

Trump, for all his off the cuff ramblings, seems to really bring it during the SOTU address. Pelosi knows how bad the Dems came off during last year's, and I'm sure that's not lost on her. Of course she doesn't want him giving the SOTU address during this little political war. It's a lay up for him.

The most recent poll I've read has it as 53% of voters blaming Trump and 29% blaming democrats, and I think that swung favorably towards Democrats from a poll that was done in December. I dunno, but based on that it's tough to see why she'd be that worried unless she knows that it's started to swing back in the other direction.

You do realize that 45+ billion dollars a year for a war in another country that doesnt do anything for mainland America is magically OK but 5 billion for part of a wall on our border is not....

Also. Math.

if its 5 Billion for 200 miles of wall.
45+ Billion a year for a war.
5/45 = 9

Do I really need to finish pointing out the flaw in your logic...are you really that derpy?

<CerseiPlotting><GinJuice><GrassoBless>

Lets find out with your reply.

She could just be using security as an excuse to bring up the shutdown again in association with Trump's name.

Like when somebody makes a passive-aggressive comment. I noticed that we didn't have to recycle any milk jugs this morning (read: you drank the last of the milk, buy some more.)

Don't listen to the wacko leftist woman. Trump should do it anyway.

The most recent poll I've read has it as 53% of voters blaming Trump and 29% blaming democrats, and I think that swung favorably towards Democrats from a poll that was done in December. I dunno, but based on that it's tough to see why she'd be that worried unless she knows that it's started to swing back in the other direction.

Stopped reading after that. <LordRoose>

Polls are never accurate, whether they're in favor or not in favor. (See 2016 election for example)

Trump said he was fine with owning the shutdown. What changed?

Polls on Fox saying more Americans blame him, and it has less support than it did when it was only a week in amongst GOP voters

Back