International Pegasus Project

Teppodama

A Dude, playing a Dude, disquised as another Dude
@Silver
Reaction score
Pegasus Project: Why 17 news outlets are working together to cover spyware on a mass scale
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/media/pegasus-project-spyware-reliable-sources/index.html
Pegasus Project: Apple iPhones compromised by NSO spyware
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/n...ect-apple-iphones-compromised-by-nso-spyware/
Revealed: leak uncovers global abuse of cyber-surveillance weapon
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...f-cyber-surveillance-weapon-nso-group-pegasus
Introducing ‘The Pegasus Project’
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/introducing-the-pegasus-project/

Basically, company markets spy software to governments to "fight terrorism" and it seems someone's been naughty and been using it on activists, journalists, etc Oh, and iPhones aren't secure from this spyware.

Israeli software company helping regimes spy on human rights acitivists, reporters and others and no doubt having a backdoor for Israeli intel. Wonder how much focus our MSM will give this huge story.

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if other Euro nations than Poland were making use of this as well as the United States and possibly Canada. China probably doesn't really need it, nor does Russia but would be surprised if they didn't have it.

Did we think all of this technology could go any other way?

People saw this all coming a long time ago. Even wrote famous books about it.

Over in the Communism thread, @cooks1 and @JSN argued that we should not complain about spying since we sign up to use these devices. I assume they will be consistent here and will tell the journalists and activists to just get rid of their cell phones and to stop using email.

I Never said any such thing. Complain all you like. But you are not complaining. You are bitching. There is a huge difference between complaining and bitching. Complaining is what you do when you are talking to people that can impact the problem and you have already taken whatever steps you can on your own. Bitching is when you are talking to people that can't impact the problem and have taken few if any of the steps you can on your own.

What I said was I found it ironic and hilarious that people menstruated about governments wanting to track their every move on the very devices they willingly pay corporations that already track their every move and in many cases what they write and say. And I stand by that remark.

I also said I found it ironic and hilarious that the obvious solutions to this problem (Government legislation, regulation and oversight) are generally opposed by the people bitching about this the most. And I stand by that remark.

I then went on to outline the personal precautions I take to limit my exposure (Prepaid cell phone, tiny digital footprint, paying cash. Not buying things on line) These things have meaningful impact and do not really inconvenience me at all.

There are other precautions I take that I didn't mention. My cell phone is fucking ancient. And when I need a new one, I will find another ancient one. Even if I have to spend more than what it costs for a new one. I only have about 8 numbers saved in my phone. And all of them are pseudonyms. I also go through extended periods every day without my phone on my person. I spent the first 25 years of my life without a cell phone. It's not that hard.

If I were a journalist, I would take even more precautions.

Is all this alarming? Sure. Am I surprised a shady Israeli company is selling spyware to authoritarian regimes? LOL- No. I assume that's happening. I assume America already has something 10X better.

There are things that could be done. Breaking up big Tech would be a terrific start. Strict Government regulation and oversight would be helpful as well. A few Republicans like Hawley are on board with some of these things. But most seem content to do nothing while bitching about Big Tech's alleged left leaning tint.

Last edited:
sad to say, but this is quite generic.
all countries monitor their journalists, politicians, etc
all countries monitor other countries
the big powers have huge budgets to monitor their own population and foreign adversaries

this isn't news. it's the undeniable reality we all choose not to think about so we can go on through life without too much screaming.

Over in the Communism thread, @cooks1 and @JSN argued that we should not complain about spying since we sign up to use these devices. I assume they will be consistent here and will tell the journalists and activists to just get rid of their cell phones and to stop using email.
Wut?

It's Israel, guys. Nothing to worry about. Maybe throw another billion or two at them in aid just to soothe the anguish this mildly negative press is causing them.

kinda sad that in this day and age were all just like "well yeah"

If only communications could be secure and we didn't have to rely on government to choose to respect our privacy.

If only communications could be secure and we didn't have to rely on government to choose to respect our privacy.

The government is the only institution that can actually stop corporations from spying on you. It's called regulation.

If this is Important to you then support the politicians who are proposing solutions.

The government is the only institution that can actually stop corporations from spying on you. It's called regulation.

If this is Important to you then support the politicians who are proposing solutions.

Thanks. No clue why you're quoting me though.

Back