PEDs in MMA—which side are you on?

Everyone is on them. Legalize and regulate. Best way to an even playing field.

help guys recover from injury, train harder, and tax their bodies less when used properly (which isn't hard to do when you aren't trying to use masking agents all the time)

Always makes me laugh when people think USADA is doing anything, as if the guys aren't using and beating it every time other than the time they got caught.

I really don't care if a fighter uses or not, I'm just pissed off whenever a guy pops because it means that we won't get to see him for a year or so, and it's even worse when it involves and scheduled fight or one that already happened and gets overturned to a NC. Let them use whatever they want, it's up to them if there are consequences later on and as professionals they can decide what's better for them

I'm against them but it's just reality. Guys are on and always will be on PEDs. It seems naive and stupid to just put in a system that will trivially punish some people over others. Jon Jones is now in a situation where he can't really risk taking PEDs and everyone he fights will be on PEDs. He will be at a massive and unfair disadvantage because of that.

Send USADA back to synchronized swimming and ice skating where the competition is easier.

1. Are you on the side that realizes life, the world, and high level pro sports are not “fair”? The side that realizes and accepts the majority of high level athletes in all pro sports including MMA are using PEDs, more so than not using.

2. Or are you on the naive side, that likes to pretend someday USADA will give us a perfectly “ clean” sport (lol) and the UFC will become a utopia of MMA and natural athletes?

neither of those sides are an accurate reflection of what people think, and they certainly arent the two opposing sides. You can be in favor of strong anti doping measures without being "naive" as you claim..

My side:

Sport will never be clean, it is human nature to try and get an edge, be it legally or illegally. There will always be people cheating especially when there is money involved. We cannot stop doping completely.

However, there are athletes that do not wish to use prohibited substances, be it for ethical and moral reasons, or be it for concerns over their health.

We have a duty of care to those athletes, however few they may be, to do everything we can to try and allow them to compete on as near to a level playing field as we can.

the fact that your two descriptions of the two sides are so far off the mark from actual reality shows how little you know..

and knowing that little, you probably shouldnt be starting threads like this..

I'm glad there's not anyone mark coleman esque in the ufc

yoel-romero-praises-gsp-header-1068x566.jpg
The secret behind his physique?
A. hard work
B. Cuban genes
C. ninja turtle
D. steroids

Personally, I'm for testing the day of the fight but nothing else. Steroids are handy for reducing injuries. We'd see more fighters making it to fight day and not pulling out as much for random injuries. Plus it allows them to train harder/longer. Sure, there might be long term side effects but the side effects won't be as bad as the side effects created by mma.

1. Are you on the side that realizes life, the world, and high level pro sports are not “fair”? The side that realizes and accepts the majority of high level athletes in all pro sports including MMA are using PEDs, more so than not using.

2. Or are you on the naive side, that likes to pretend someday USADA will give us a perfectly “ clean” sport (lol) and the UFC will become a utopia of MMA and natural athletes?

I used to think people on side #2 would just push their narrative to support their favorite fighters who got beat up by people who failed PED tests at some point. But lately I’m starting to think these guys might actually be that naive.

Which side are you on sherbros?
I am on the side that believes the sport is shady and corrupt as hell... so I don't believe the fighters are mostly clean. However I would fully support a clean sport if presented with one.

I'd rather have PEDS in our sport. Performance is everything and careers can be extended because of them.

Now I can understand and agree with the argument about having an unfair advantage if another guy is using peds and where it just forces everyone to be on them. That's a fair point. But what makes you think everyone is clean now that USADA is running the show? They aren't all clean and to top it all off people who have more money will have better access to information on how to avoid being caught and if they are ever caught they have expensive lawyers and the companies support to maneuver around a hot test. See Jon Jones and Brock Lesnar and how the UFC is working extra hard to get them back in action.

I would propose events once a year maybe twice where USADA just looks the other way and all bets are off. These cards would probably do record level of ppv's and the fights would be insane. The rest of the cards should be under strict supervision by USADA.

I used to think people on side #2 would just push their narrative to support their favorite fighters who got beat up by people who failed PED tests at some point. But lately I’m starting to think these guys might actually be that naive.

Which side are you on sherbros?

Jon Jones avatar SMH.

PED's are not good for the sport. You can't set the precedent for young fighters that they need to roid just to have a shot of becoming champ and this can lead to potential health effects etc. There is a lot more to it as well.

I'm on the side of, let's see which athletes are such total cheats that they get caught by USADA, and kick them out.

And see which ones are smart enough to not get caught, or are actually clean and doing things ethically.

I also want a cleaner sport to get a better idea of what humans are capable above without isolating chemicals that create man-monsters that rely on artificial strength and stamina to win fights. Work on technique instead, it's more interesting.

I honestly don't know enough about the various PED's that exist, nor the one's people use, nor their long-term effects. I do know that just because society says something is bad, doesn't necessarily make it so. I think generally, what people do to their bodies is their business. But realize in a paid competition this can be unfairly manipulated. If anyone could actually pro/con PED's with some sort of unbiased take, I'd be interested. But this issue tends to make people emotional so everything I read from you guys on the subject just seems like jaded nonsensical subjective garbage.

Here you go: The UFC is a US based company. It is based in a country that was founded originally by people that called themselves PURITANS. Thats why prostitution is illegal, thats why we still have dry counties (no alcohol), thats why some cities dont allow alcohol sales on Sunday. PED's are deemed immoral by the general public and thats why they are also deemed "illegal".

PED's will NEVER be legal in the UFC unless they somehow become legal in the Olympics. BECAUSE, if the UFC allows PED's it will never be an Olympic sport. Thus boxing is. Thus boxing > MMA by a casuals view point.

PED rules ARE NOT about the fighters but rather the general publics opinion of the UFC.

I say legalise juicing, not to make it "fair" but to make it more entertaining. If juicing was legal guys career becomes virtually limitless as opposed to the guys retiring at 35-40 now. also everyone would have 1 shot ko power in their jabs , but they would also have meaty strong knecks so they're chins would improve. It's a great idea and would solve the problem of the flyweight devision being so boring, if they were all mini yoel romeros it would be alot of fun.

Here you go: The UFC is a US based company. It is based in a country that was founded originally by people that called themselves PURITANS. Thats why prostitution is illegal, thats why we still have dry counties (no alcohol), thats why some cities dont allow alcohol sales on Sunday. PED's are deemed immoral by the general public and thats why they are also deemed "illegal".

PED's will NEVER be legal in the UFC unless they somehow become legal in the Olympics. BECAUSE, if the UFC allows PED's it will never be an Olympic sport. Thus boxing is. Thus boxing > MMA by a casuals view point.

PED rules ARE NOT about the fighters but rather the general publics opinion of the UFC.
Thanks for the U.S. history lesson. But I'm still left knowing very little about PED's themselves. Did you even read the post you replied to? In what way was that supposed to teach me anything about PED's enough for me to formulate an opinion as to if they're bad for the sport or not? You drunk? Or just felt like going on a completely unrelated tangent?

Let them take anything because people are slipping through usada anyway. Better fights, longer careers, quicker recovery, etc etc etc

Weight cutting is a bigger form of cheating than anything caught by USADA.

Back