*Pearson a clear favorite against S

Kampmann fight had 2 swing rounds.

2 swing rounds alright. Diego swinging at air while his head swung side to side by Kampmann sniper shots.

Easily one of the worst decisions I've ever seen.

But it should have served notice to plenty of fighters: you don't really have to hit your opponent with anything, and you can be virtually destroyed by crisp counter strikes all night, but as long as you're swinging like a wild man, the W is yours. Even if you eat so many clean shots your face is about to fuckin fall off.

Pearson is probably gonna light Diego up for three rounds. Awful style match-up.
Scamrock said:
Kampmann fight had 2 swing rounds.
No, it really didn't. Brawls in the last thirty seconds of a round don't make it competitive. Kampmann is way too skilled for Diego to beat legitimately.

But it should have served notice to plenty of fighters: you don't really have to hit your opponent with anything, and you can be virtually destroyed by crisp counter strikes all night, but as long as you're swinging like a wild man, the W is yours. Even if you eat so many clean shots your face is about to fuckin fall off.
To me, that fight just goes to show that your average judge is so incompetent as to be unable to discern clean, accurate counterpunching. Kampmann jabbed Diego's face into a bloody pulp and "lost" like WTF haha it's as if they think just coming forward is a scoring technique...

Pearson would "appear" to have the skill set to beat Diego: he has better striking technique and decent TDD. However, I think his striking style actually gives Diego a good chance in this one. Ross isn't a stick and move type of fighter. He's more of a plodding striker who likes to stand in the pocket. I think this plays into Diego's hands. It will allow Diego to close the distance enough to get the take down and/or turn it into a brawl. With those odds, the smart money is on a Diego decision.
That's a great point. Pearson doesn't really have any effective footwork to go with his excellent head movement, so he needs to stand in front of people to really get going. This could go awry if Diego had the savvy to strike just enough to make Pearson fire back at him so that he could duck under for an easy takedown.

Almost seems like Diego hasn't gotten a takedown in so long now that people have completely forgotten that his grappling is actually pretty amazing.. once the fight hits the mat.

Regardless, if Diego tries to actually trade punches with Ross like he did against Melendez, he will probably get lit up, but I definitely could also see Diego's pace wearing him out for a decision or even *gasp* a late stoppage.

Love the sig btw, couldn't agree more.

2 swing rounds alright. Diego swinging at air while his head swung side to side by Kampmann sniper shots.

Easily one of the worst decisions I've ever seen.

Go look at media scores. You have a mix of people giving both Sanchez and Kampmann both rounds 2 and and even some draws for round 2. Most media seemed to score the fight for Kampmann, but were s0lit on which rounds he won other than round 1. Some media gave it to Sanchez and some had the fight a draw.

Looking at the stats, they are pretty much even in rounds 2 and 3, which further illustrates them as swing rounds.

Did Diego miss a lot of strikes? Sure. His land % was lower. But he landed about just as many as Kampmann in those rounds. They were swing rounds.

Now, Kampmann did have the only decisive round of the fight. But there where 2 swing rounds. When you have over half of the rounds that could go either way, its hard to call it a robbery.

Pearson is probably gonna light Diego up for three rounds. Awful style match-up.No, it really didn't. Brawls in the last thirty seconds of a round don't make it competitive. Kampmann is way too skilled for Diego to beat legitimately.

The strikes landed in the 2nd and 3rd were about even. They were arguably both 10-10 rounds. Round 1 was where Kampmann outstruck him by a wide margin. It was the only decisive round. People seem to be under the impression that just because Diego wasnt as accurate and missed several strikes that he was outstruck by some substantial number. That simply wasnt true in the last 2 rounds.

The strikes landed in the 2nd and 3rd were about even. They were arguably both 10-10 rounds. Round 1 was where Kampmann outstruck him by a wide margin. It was the only decisive round. People seem to be under the impression that just because Diego wasnt as accurate and missed several strikes that he was outstruck by some substantial number. That simply wasnt true in the last 2 rounds.
The numbers don't tell the actual story of the fight though, they were visibly not competitive and there is more to being outstruck than just the actual number of strikes landed (especially because FightMetric records glancing blows to the chest/shoulders)... Kampmann's strikes were clearly more effective, as they rendered Diego's face into a bloody mess, and furthermore, he stopped literally all of his takedowns.

I really don't see how you could score those as 10-10s. 10-10 is like GSP-Hendricks R1, or one of the rounds in Henderson vs. Melendez.
Scamrock said:
Did Diego miss a lot of strikes? Sure. His land % was lower. But he landed about just as many as Kampmann in those rounds. They were swing rounds.
Screen-shot-2011-03-04-at-7.21.20-AM.png

Betting odds set Pearson as a clear favorite. Is that right? Cause i fon't see him knocking out Diego or making him tap.

Pearson by decision?
Diego by decision?
Diego by RNC?

What do you think?

I think Diego is just not a very good fighter, certainly not a very bright one. So ya, if Ross Pearson has more fight IQ than a speedbag then he should definitely be favorite.

Also I'm not posting that pic in an attempt to dispute the statement that the overall number of strikes in the last 2 rounds was about even. I don't have a problem acknowledging that cause I was fairly surprised by the stats myself once I had actually looked at them.

However, the strikes that Kampmann landed were clearly far more effective than the ones Diego landed on Kampmann. So I don't think it's unfair to say that, when quantity is even, quality should win out.

I can see how Pearson is the favorite considering how crappy Diego has looked for 7 of his past 8 fights. If I remember clearly he beat Paulo Thiago without much controversy. I just have a feeling that he'll come out and look sharp and beat Pearson in front of his hometown.

The numbers don't tell the actual story of the fight though, they were visibly not competitive and there is more to being outstruck than just the actual number of strikes landed (especially because FightMetric records glancing blows to the chest/shoulders)... Kampmann's strikes were clearly more effective, as they rendered Diego's face into a bloody mess, and furthermore, he stopped literally all of his takedowns.

I really don't see how you could score those as 10-10s. 10-10 is like GSP-Hendricks R1, or one of the rounds in Henderson vs. Melendez.

Well said. There was DEFINITELY nothing 10-10 about those rounds. NOTHING. One of those rare occasions when the term 'robbery' is justified. Despite what numbers say, that was NOT a close fight, in my honest to god opinion.

I think Diego is just not a very good fighter, certainly not a very bright one. So ya, if Ross Pearson has more fight IQ than a speedbag then he should definitely be favorite.
He's awesome when the fight hits the mat, but his issue is that he has never been good at actually getting the fight there nor is his striking good enough to carry him through when he can't get a takedown.
NeverAgainPlaya said:
Well said. There was DEFINITELY nothing 10-10 about those rounds. NOTHING. One of those rare occasions when the term 'robbery' is justified. Despite what numbers say, that was NOT a close fight, in my honest to god opinion.
Yeah, I mean I haven't watched it in a while so I'm probably gonna boot up Fight Pass and do that now, but I just literally cannot see how you could score 2 rounds for Diego...

Hell even a 29-29 draw would have made more sense.

Bloody mess doesn't mean anything. There was a reason damage wasn't a part of the judging criteria. Visual damage is an indication of effective striking. But a lack of physical damage doesn't mean striking wasn't effective. So visual damage can be misleading. Furthermore, damage is cumulative, but rounds are scored separately.

Kampmann's strikes were more spread out. He was picking at Diego and countering. Diego's strikes came in flurries. You talk about glancing blows, but Diego wasn't just landing a bunch of glancing blows. He was landing some big flush strikes. He hurt and even staggered Kampmann. So it's not as though Kampmann had effective strikes and Diego didn't.

Also, for such a robbery, why were there so many media members and fans with contrasting scores?

Hell, look at the contrast in scores from the 3 who scored the fight for Sherdog.

Chris Nelson: 10-9 Kampmann, 10-10, 10-9 Sanchez (29-29 Draw)
Lutfi Sariahmed: 10-9 Kampmann, 10-9 Kampmann, 10-9 Sanchez (29-28 Kampmann)
Mike Whitman: 10-9 Kampmann, 10-10, 10-9 Kampmann (30-28 Kampmann)

While nobody gave the fight to Diego, 2 of them had round 2 a draw and they were split on round 3.

While the fans who thing Kampmann won usually call it one of the worst robberies ever, unlike fights like Phan/Garcia I where everyone pretty much agreed on the winner and the round by round breakdowns, in Kampmann/Sanchez, media and fans alike were split with many giving it to Sanchez or a draw to go along with the many who had it for Kampmann.

He's awesome when the fight hits the mat, but his issue is that he has never been good at actually getting the fight there nor is his striking good enough to carry him through when he can't get a takedown.Yeah, I mean I haven't watched it in a while so I'm probably gonna boot up Fight Pass and do that now, but I just literally cannot see how you could score 2 rounds for Diego...

What is interesting is that many gave round 2 to Diego, many gave 3 to Diego, and many had 10-10 rounds, but most didn't give both to him. But it shows that it easily could have, and the judges did.

Go back... watch all the video clips you can of Diego Sanchez speaking clearly as it will not happen again after this fight.

He's great to watch.... but the last few fights, he's been great to watch because of how much damage he can take, come back, and nearly win, and sound like your drink uncle in his post fight "interview".

Someone needs to stop him.... BEFORE he gets in the cage

He's awesome when the fight hits the mat, but his issue is that he has never been good at actually getting the fight there nor is his striking good enough to carry him through when he can't get a takedown.Yeah, I mean I haven't watched it in a while so I'm probably gonna boot up Fight Pass and do that now, but I just literally cannot see how you could score 2 rounds for Diego...

yeah, I watched it last month on a big MMA binge since I had missed a few events, just felt like diving into a violent world of entertainment. It's not like I watched it yesterday, but I feel as though it is still pretty fresh in my mind. Interestingly enough my little brother (11 years my junior) felt Sanchez easily won the fight simply because he was moving forward so much. This is the same kid who told me Mayweather beat Maidana 11 rounds to 1 lmao. For the record, I've since seen the May/Mai fight, and there's no way in hell Floyd took 11 rounds.

Back