Peaky Blinders -- I'm tapping out

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
SPOILERS -- do not read ahead if you fear being spoiled!

This should be a show that I love. Solid actors, interesting premise, time period I'm interested in, frequent references to the way WWI impacted it's soldiers in a way previous wars hadn't.

The first episode wasn't that good, it picked up a bit in the second and third. It's a highly stylized, formalistic show which puts more effort into visuals than characters. If it was American and had a 13-26 episode season I would have packed it in, but I like to have something playing while I work out so I watched the fourth episode.

The fourth and fifth I was actually interested in what was happening, but thought did not warrant the pedestal people were placing it on. People were saying it was the greatest show on TV. It wasn't until the sixth episode that I saw a great moment. Specifically, the last few minutes where Tommy is writing the letter and the little red-haired girl gets shot on the train platform.

I loved that moment. I immediately changed my mind about not watching the next season. I was going to watch it and I was genuinely intrigued.

So the second season starts and... fucking hell... the girl didn't get shot. She shot Sam Neill's character in a trick reveal.

I completely lost interest in watching any more episodes, but I left it on while I worked out.

It was the point where Sam Neill's character is also revealed to be alive that I couldn't take it any more. I shut off the TV.

This is the least courageous storytelling that I've ever seen. I dread that if I keep watching there's going to be a scene where something amazing/dramatic/startling/moving happens, only to have some character wake up and reveal it was all a dream.

I'm done. I'm out. Moving on to a better series.

you dun goofed

s2 is AMAZING

great OP tho....love everything, great season, great ending, oh shit there is a twist, i'm out. to a better series

Hmmmm. I might not check this out now. Sounds lame.

you dun goofed

s2 is AMAZING

great OP tho....love everything, great season, great ending, oh shit there is a twist, i'm out. to a better series

LOL This. Great show.

If you decide to not check this show out because of ts, you're missing out.

you dun goofed

s2 is AMAZING

Poor summary of the OP.

Great premise, poor start, got better, last five minutes of last episode of Season 1 was brilliant and breathtaking and bold... oh shit, they turned their great ending into an okay ending... oh shit, they turned their okay ending into a shitty, gutless ending.

Hmmmm. I might not check this out now. Sounds lame.

Give it a shot. I can see why people like it.

Like I said, it was growing on me. It wasn't until they did something completely brilliant and then destroyed it that I decided I'm not interested in any story they have to tell. Imagine Romeo and Juliet popping up in the sequel. You'd be a little disgusted with Shakespeare for undermining such a powerful ending.

I enjoyed it and shedding has a spoiler option I've been bitched at a bit for not using it

I watched a few episodes, liked what I seen so far, will check the rest out soon.

Slow start to the series. But it's been amazing so far. Season two at the racetrack reminding of the Breaking Bad jail hit.

I just started watching this, just finished s1e5.

The characters is where it falls apart for me. Almost everyone is an idiot except Tommy Shelby as I`ve picked up so far.

Sam Neill who as an actor caries some weight, makes a grand entrance with his motivated speech and you get the sense that he`s a determined guy...Especially when he beats up Arthur Shelby after that. Unfortunately you find out later he`s a coward who was in reserves and that he is no match for Tommy Shelby`s wits.
Obviously he`s a character you are not supposed to like and they are not making you think twice about it. A waste of a good actor.
Billy Kimber? Idiot.
All of Tommy`s brothers? Idiots.
ANd I just dont buy Cillian Murphy`s ptsp`d war hero acting after seeing Michael Pitt portray one in Boardwalk Empire.
There are a lot of shows that sell you a story as a main plot but behind it`s a soap opera and it looks like this is gonna be one with Tommy and Grace hooking up in e5.

Boardwalk Empire eats this show alive.

Maybe Tom Hardy will bring some real grit to the show.

Back