Television PEACEMAKER TV Series (Premieres January 13, 2022)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: September 23, 2020

Suicide Squad Spinoff Series PEACEMAKER Starring John Cena From James Gunn Set at HBO Max

2J1DyII.jpg

HBO Max has given a straight-to-series order for Peacemaker, a spinoff from the upcoming Suicide Squad film. John Cena will play the title role, reprising his role from the film. The film’s writer and director, James Gunn, will also write the series and direct multiple episodes, including the pilot.

HBO Max has ordered eight episodes of the show based on the DC Comics character, which is described as an action adventure comedy. The exact plot of the series is being kept under wraps, but it is said it will explore the origins of Peacemaker, a man who believes in peace at any cost, no matter how many people he has to kill to get it. Production is slated to begin in early 2021, prior to Gunn starting work on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. The Suicide Squad is set to be released in theaters Aug. 6, 2021.

“’Peacemaker’ is an opportunity to delve into current world issues through the lens of this superhero/supervillain/and world’s biggest douchebag,” Gunn said. “I’m excited to expand ‘The Suicide Squad’ and bring this character from the DC film universe to the full breadth of a series. And of course, to be able to work again with John, Peter, and my friends at Warner Bros. is the icing on the cake.”

Cena will serve as co-executive producer in addition to starring. Gunn will executive produce via Troll Court Entertainment with Suicide Squad producer Peter Safran also executive producing for The Safran Company. Warner Bros. Television will serve as the studio.

The series expands Gunn’s role within the DC universe, having already established himself within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He wrote and directed the first two installments of the Guardians of the Galaxy films, which collectively grossed over $1.6 billion globally. He was also an executive producer on both Avengers: Endgame and Avengers: Infinity War.

Cena is best known for his time in the WWE, where he is a 16-time world champion. He has been pursuing acting more seriously of late, having starred in films such as Blockers, Trainwreck, Bumblebee, Ferdinand, and the upcoming ninth installment of the Fast & Furious franchise. He also currently hosts Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader? on Nickelodeon.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/su...ries-john-cena-james-gunn-hbo-max-1234780589/

Update: September 23, 2020

Suicide Squad Spinoff Series PEACEMAKER Starring John Cena From James Gunn Set at HBO Max

2J1DyII.jpg

HBO Max has given a straight-to-series order for “Peacemaker,” a spinoff from the upcoming “Suicide Squad” film. John Cena will play the title role, reprising his role from the film. The film’s writer and director, James Gunn, will also write the series and direct multiple episodes, including the pilot.

HBO Max has ordered eight episodes of the show based on the DC Comics character, which is described as an action adventure comedy. The exact plot of the series is being kept under wraps, but it is said it will explore the origins of Peacemaker, a man who believes in peace at any cost, no matter how many people he has to kill to get it. Production is slated to begin in early 2021, prior to Gunn starting work on “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.” “The Suicide Squad” is set to be released in theaters Aug. 6, 2021.

“’Peacemaker’ is an opportunity to delve into current world issues through the lens of this superhero/supervillain/and world’s biggest douchebag,” Gunn said. “I’m excited to expand ‘The Suicide Squad’ and bring this character from the DC film universe to the full breadth of a series. And of course, to be able to work again with John, Peter, and my friends at Warner Bros. is the icing on the cake.”

Cena will serve as co-executive producer in addition to starring. Gunn will executive produce via Troll Court Entertainment with “Suicide Squad” producer Peter Safran also executive producing for The Safran Company. Warner Bros. Television will serve as the studio.

The series expands Gunn’s role within the DC universe, having already established himself within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He wrote and directed the first two installments of the “Guardians of the Galaxy” films, which collectively grossed over $1.6 billion globally. He was also an executive producer on both “Avengers: Endgame” and “Avengers: Infinity War.”

Cena is best known for his time in the WWE, where he is a 16-time world champion. He has been pursuing acting more seriously of late, having starred in films such as “Blockers,” “Trainwreck,” “Bumblebee,” “Ferdinand,” and the upcoming ninth installment of the “Fast & Furious” franchise. He also currently hosts “Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?” on Nickelodeon.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/su...ries-john-cena-james-gunn-hbo-max-1234780589/

A spin-off based on a movie that hasn’t even succeeded yet; wow.

That’s something else.

It's a good sign for Gunn's movie (studio is liking what they are seeing), especially Peacemaker who seems to be one of the breakout characters in the sequel.

I hope you’re right dude.

I feel like Suicide Squad was a bad idea without a popular version of the JLA to pit them against; sort of like making a Sinister Six movie without Spider-Man.

I hope you’re right dude.

I feel like Suicide Squad was a bad idea without a popular version of the JLA to pit them against; sort of like making a Sinister Six movie without Spider-Man.
I guess it depends on what a person expected for Suicide Squad. For me, Suicide Squad was mainly about going against covert, high-fatality rate missions like overthrowing a tyrannical third-world government or going up against powerful bad guys.

I guess it depends on what a person expected for Suicide Squad. For me, Suicide Squad was mainly about going against covert, high-fatality rate missions like overthrowing a tyrannical third-world government or going up against powerful bad guys.

I get that. To me, that's more or less "the expendables". You don't really need a wider universe for those stories.

I feel like, if you're going to put them in the DC universe...do what Marvel did with Ant Man when he had to visit the avengers, or something along those lines. Did you watch JLU? I felt they did an excellent job with the squad in that show.

I get that. To me, that's more or less "the expendables". You don't really need a wider universe for those stories.

I feel like, if you're going to put them in the DC universe...do what Marvel did with Ant Man when he had to visit the avengers, or something along those lines. Did you watch JLU? I felt they did an excellent job with the squad in that show.

Of course, Justice League Unlimited is the best JL version on the screen, small or big.

For me, a JL vs. SS would make more sense if you build up the SS crew first. Introduce them to the audience first and then have them tangle with JL in a future movie.

Update: October 30, 2020

Steve Agee Reprises Suicide Squad Role in James Gunn's PEACEMAKER TV Series

A9G2Y9h.jpg

Deadline reports that Steve Agee, who stars in James Gunn’s upcoming The Suicide Squad movie, is making the jump to the pic’s HBO Max spinoff series Peacemaker starring John Cena.

Agee will reprise one of two of his Suicide Squad roles, that of John Economos. The character is a warden of Belle Reve Federal Penitentiary and an aide to Viola Davis’ government character Amanda Waller. Agee also is playing King Shark in Suicide Squad.

Agee is a longtime thespian in Gunn’s canon, having starred in the filmmaker’s Super, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and his horror feature production Brightburn directed by David Yarovesky.

Gunn is writing the eight-episode Peacemaker series and directing a number of the episodes. More characters from Gunn’s Suicide Squad could make the jump to the series, which explores the origins of Cena’s Peacemaker character, a guy who believes in peace at any cost — no matter how many people he has to kill to get it.

Agee’s TV credits include the Netflix animated series Twelve Forever, ABC’s The Conners, NBC’s Superstore, Fox’s New Girl among several others. The comedian was a writer on over 300 episodes of Jimmy Kimmel Live! and will also star in the upcoming Justine Bateman-directed drama Violet.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/the-su...series-peacemaker-adds-steve-agee-1234606195/

If John cena is in it i cant see it, sorry.

Update: September 13, 2021

First Official Image from James Gunn's PEACEMAKER Series on HBO Max; Freddie Stroma Revealed to Play Vigilante

Director James Gunn was in postproduction on The Suicide Squad when he came up with the idea for a TV show about one of the movie's many characters who "we didn't get to know as well" as some of the others: John Cena's supervillain Peacemaker, whose "superpower" is a willingness to commit terrible acts in the name of peace. "I loved the 1970s Captain America [TV movie] when I was a kid," says Gunn, "I thought making a really f---ed-up version of that with Peacemaker would be fun."

The problem? (WARNING: Massive The Suicide Squad spoilers follow, so look away if you have yet to see the film.) In his big-screen tale about a group of convicts sent on a dangerous mission by Viola Davis' Amanda Waller, Gunn had killed off Peacemaker — and the director is not a fan of characters apparently dying and then being brought back to life. Eventually, he overcame his reservations and added a post-credits scene to The Suicide Squad where two of Waller's underlings, Jennifer Holland's Harcourt and Steve Agee's Economos, visit a comatose but alive Peacemaker in the hospital. "I did exactly the thing I hate when other filmmakers do [it]," admits Gunn. "But I did it! I'll have to live with the repercussions, which is the most incredible TV show people will ever see."

The eight-episode HBO Max series, which premieres in January, centers on "black ops combating something catastrophic that's facing the planet," Gunn says, leading Peacemaker, Harcourt, and Economos to team up with three new characters. Chukwudi Iwuji is group leader Murn (a mercenary under Waller), while Freddie Stroma plays popular comics character Vigilante. "You may not have guessed it," quips Gunn, "but his character is a vigilante!" Danielle Brooks plays sixth team member Adebayo. "She isn't always treated the best by the people around her, but despite her differences with Peacemaker, they form a bond," he explains.

Gunn, who wrote all of Peacemaker and directed five episodes, will spend much of the next year making the third of his Guardians of the Galaxy movies, but reveals he would be happy to return to the show if it proves a success. "I would like to do a season 2," he says. "They just have to tell me that they want to do it."

https://ew.com/tv/peacemaker-first-look-john-cena-james-gunn/

Pass. I love Gunn, but... hard pass.

Didn't really like the character. Easy pass.

Back