PC wear and tear thread

Nameless King

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Post your stories about your system, spec, how long you got it, what happen during that time, any problems, replacements, brand of the parts ect.

I bought my PC back in 2013, i7 3820, 16gb ram (some low mhz), 690 GTX, Dell Alienware.

Somewhere in 2016 or '17 I replaced my GPU with newly released GTX 1080 and few months after my PSU died. A loud bang its all i heard. Got it replaced with Corsair PSU.

Since then no changes. New games play well, no problems at all.

I dust it off now and again but thats all, didnt touched anything else. Not even CPU to replace thermal paste, still using the factory used.

Question:

What are potential component failures I can face short and long term? I am not really in crazy urge to buy something new but I rather be prepared for something to go down.

I had a bunch of PSUs go bad in my previous place. Literally 3 in about 4 years. After the 2nd I realized it was probably the power itself. It didn't seem to affect my other electronics, so I bought an APC battery back up and haven't had that happen since.

Last edited:
I had a bunch of PSUs go bad in my previous place. Literally like 3 in about 4 years. After the 2nd I realized it was probably the power itself. It didn't seem to affect my other electronics, so I bought an APC battery back up and haven't had that happen since.

i won't use my comp without a UPS, they're a godsend.

Desktop gave problems booting and cause was RAM became unseated. Tech support wanted to charge me a lot of money to tell me to reinstall everything and wipe the computer. Assholes. Stupid assholes. It's still running and not slowed down by malware and shit.

Built this i5 system back in late 2011.

ASRock Mobo
GeForce GTX570 (swapped out for RX470)
Intel i5 2500k
Seasononic 700W PSU
8GB RAM

System still runs all the current games just fine. I've been waiting for the PC to just blow up for a few years now. Only component I swapped out in 10 years was the GTX570 (resource hog) for a RX470.

EVGA GTX 1080
Ryzen 7 2700x
ASUS Mobo
16gb GSkill ddr4 ram
700w wraith scepter(might be getting that wrong, could be the brand of the cpu heatsink) psu

No problems, and quite dust free. My case, a big nonoxia deepquiet or deepcool case has three fans I've disabled to remove noise. Temps never get into the 70s on high load and the whole thing has been pretty dust free.

The liquid cooler for my pc recently went out. I'm planning on buying a new machine soon anyways, but it still sucks.

Built my first PC in 2000. Didn't think I needed a fan since I wasn't overclocking. :oops:

I've been pretty lucky. I've been building PCs since the late 90s and I've only had one power supply burn out and one power supply issue where it had trouble powering on due to repeated power outages.

Dumbest thing I've ever done though was installing a CPU and didn't seat it properly. Lowered the little lever to lock it into place and it crushed all of the pins on the socket. Everything else has been stable. Big props to Intel as I've never had a CPU fail on me. They last me the entire build life and I end up just selling them when I'm done.

Usually the first thing to go is storage then motherboard or PSU depending on the quality. CPU's and RAM rarely burn out, it's usually other components taking them out. Video cards usually go obsolete before they crap out.
As you already found out, prebuilt computers usually have crap power supplies where a Corsair one like you bought will last 5+ years before you think about replacing it.

Your case fans might die as well but a $5 case fan is good enough for most people and easily replaced.

I've owned a whole bunch of different hardware and the only thing I've had fail on me that I can remember is an MSI RX470 and a Patriot 60gb SSD that was 5 years old. I bought 2 of those Patriot SSD's at the same time, 06/20/2012, and one is still being used in my media server.

One thing you didn't mention is if you had an SSD or not. If you don't, do yourself a favor and get one. They're cheap and will make a noticeable difference. A 256gb SSD is $31 and will hold your OS and a couple of games.

Last edited:
I have a ThinkPad x1c6 (x1 carbon 6th gen) i7-8650u w/ 16gb integrated ram 'build project' I gave up last Summer.

I got the mobo for free, & started to build on top of it. I probably spent about $150 or so on all the parts (palmrest/keyboard, bottom cover etc.).

I'm just missing a screen. I only want to get the on cell touch screen option for it, & no way in hell am I paying retail for it ($200), when I've seen it go as low as $85 on ebay before.

but now I'm seeing the i5 sells for close to 2 grand on Lenovo's site. maybe I'll finish it up & sell it.

Here's a budget oriented air cooler for $20 that will get you by. It's a Hyper 212 competitor.
Thanks, I just decided to get another $80 dollar Corsair liquid cooler. It might be a while till I get the new machine, I'm looking to spend over $1800 on the machine and a new monitor. So I figure I'll keep this running silently until then.

Thanks, I just decided to get another $80 dollar Corsair liquid cooler. It might be a while till I get the new machine, I'm looking to spend over $1800 on the machine and a new monitor. So I figure I'll keep this running silently until then.
21gr1.gif