PC or Consoles - Which do you prefer playing video games on?

PC or Consoles - Which do you prefer playing video games on?

• Total voters
I could be wrong, but I believe he's talking about updates for drivers and whatnot. Not upgrading your PC's hardware constantly.

There is so much micromanagement with PC's, and it is an issue when compared to the "one size fits all" model of consoles.

There really isn't these days. Windows will literally do everything for you now. It downloads and installs the latest updates and drivers automatically. It will even reboot your computer if wait long enough to apply the updates.

The only micro-managing you might have to do is updating 3rd party stuff like Steam which is no more than "Click here to restart Steam".

I've haven't gamed on a high end PC for years, but you can pick up an Xbox One X for like $260 these days which also has the ability to play UHD 4K Blu-rays. Wouldn't a high end PC that can run games on Ultra cost around $1300?

I played this video in 4K through my laptop and while the PC looks better the returns just don't seem like they are worth an extra $1000. Side by side it's basically a game of photo hunt with the pc having some extra trees and puddles here and there.

How many times do you need to be told that YouTube compresses graphics, and these online side-by-sides aren't useful for comparing game graphics?

PCs that render 1080p@Ultra on can be scored for ~$800-$900 these days.

I could be wrong, but I believe he's talking about updates for drivers and whatnot. Not upgrading your PC's hardware constantly.

There is so much micromanagement with PC's, and it is an issue when compared to the "one size fits all" model of consoles.

i dunno, the ps4 seemed to have some sort of firmware update once a week or so.

and with new consoles trying to be modular, it's ironic that the modularity of PCs is being touted as a con/weakness.

Even upgrading your drivers isn't a thing. At most your upgrading your video drivers and I can't even remember the last time I've done that. I really don't upgrade any drivers unless I'm forced to because of a new game. Which once again I can't remember the last time a new game forced me to upgrade my drivers.

Windows 10 updates can be a bit of a pain if they hit you at just the right time.

It really depends on the kind of game, like RTS on a console is generally trash. FPS on a console is more or less fine, but nowhere near as good as PC. I prefer thngs I play with a controller like platformers, fighting games, and driving games on a console.

PC is just better in most categories though. Backwards compatability, game variety, game prices, mods, control/input variety and it does more than just gaming.

Usually PC, but mine bit the dust recently, and have been obsessed with my Switch

I got Zelda BOTW for christmas and I've been glued to my switch. I've played as much in the past month as I probably have in the previous year.

PC but having a dedicated computer workstation for gaming is a pain. I’ve bought consoles over the past 30+ Years, but the only one that got much use was the 360.

As others have stated you don't PC game then.. Updates are not much more difficult than hit a button here or there to update when being prompted. Everything is more or less automatic. It's not like the old days of PC when you gotta figure out settings and configuration for everything and updates for this game or that game can drive you nuts from updating other drivers and such.

I'm a console guy because I like to sit back and relax with a controller in my hands. I very much dislike having to situp and play at a desk with mouse and keyboard...just isn't relaxing and I don't enjoy it at all.

This being said I'm super jealous of the performance of PC's versus consoles.

Bruh, the only game I currently have installed that I don't use a controller for is Total War Three Kingdoms. If the m/kb and having to sit at the desk is your problem, not so!!

I play RDR2 on my back in a manner that'd make that fat guy from the South Park Warcraft episode embarrassed.

How many times do you need to be told that YouTube compresses graphics, and these online side-by-sides aren't useful for comparing game graphics?

PCs that render 1080p@Ultra on can be scored for ~$800-$900 these days.

I know that a Youtube video doesn't necessarily do it justice, but it gives you an idea. How would a PC 1080 on Ultra stack up against a One X enhanced game that plays in Native 4K? Would $800 or $900 also include a UHD Blu-ray drive too?

I started gaming in the 80's, so maybe I'm just not that picky because the technology has come so far. I honestly don't really even notice 60 and 30 fps and never would have if I hadn't read about it. I'm sure high end PC gaming is cool, but I don't see the returns you get being $800-$900 Cool.

I used to be a huge console fanboy. But now? When I can have 3-400 games on demand stored on my PC my PS4 just sits around as a glorified paperweight aside from a few select games that only show up on it. It's the last console I will ever purchase.

Double whammy that with online streaming services (FLY JOLLY ROGER FLY) being just as good if not better than anything on the PS4, it gives me even less reason to use it.

PC. Especially since I like strategy and D&D style rpgs which just work better with a mouse and keyboard.

PC. Especially since I like strategy and D&D style rpgs which just work better with a mouse and keyboard.

This is one thing I wish consoles would embrace. I actually have a K/M setup for my PS4, and it works SO much better for some game types. But the hoops you have to jump through to keep it working from game to game make me sad.

I know that a Youtube video doesn't necessarily do it justice, but it gives you an idea. How would a PC 1080 on Ultra stack up against a One X enhanced game that plays in Native 4K? Would $800 or $900 also include a UHD Blu-ray drive too?

I started gaming in the 80's, so maybe I'm just not that picky because the technology has come so far. I honestly don't really even notice 60 and 30 fps and never would have if I hadn't read about it. I'm sure high end PC gaming is cool, but I don't see the returns you get being $800-$900 Cool.
I mean only you can answer whether its worth it or not to you, but let's not pretend that the difference between 30 and 60 fps is negligible. It's a very noticeable difference.

I mean only you can answer whether its worth it or not to you, but let's not pretend that the difference between 30 and 60 fps is negligible. It's a very noticeable difference.

To me it really isn't. I see it at first, but once I get into the game I kind of forget about it. I just got done beating Far Cry 5 on my XB1X and that's locked in at 30fps and I really didn't notice the difference from that and the new COD game, which runs at 60fps. I also game on a 65" TV that is less than a year old. I don't really play a lot of shooters though. I think if I had a steady diet of 60fps and then went back to 30 I would see it more.

Last edited:
Its crazy that in 2020 console gamers still act like PC's are complicated machines that need constant hardware and software/driver updates just to run games.

Its crazy that in 2020 console gamers still act like PC's are complicated machines that need constant hardware and software/driver updates just to run games.
Few replies have definitively said as much; the implication between lines that one's more intelligent for gaming on a PC datedly speaks to the opposite.

Big picture, PC play is associated with hog-wild cheating and this for console players gets filed under L for 'less bullshit' alongside what you overstate above. For those who also work day to day on computers with heads in software programmes, we find the very disassociation that console media offers to be a pro. As an example, talking to friends across in-house communities for a multitude of titles, running rare-feat side-by-sides, sharing live play, screengrabs et cetera, it feels very much its own world and something I personally find most enjoyable. Downloads or tacked-on applications whatnot to this end total zero; tick this, type that, VoIP here, share there, centralised all-party management, one handle or UID for across-the-board play or comp, done – one roof, one family.

To each his own seems an oft-expressed sentiment of console gamers whereas PC players can froth at the mouth in needing to be looked up to. Shit is embarrassing. It being 2020 framed your above passive-aggression; stop being a crusty stereotype and act then yourself the era. For PC kindred spirits, keep on and journey well, brothers. You truly get it.

Few replies have definitively said as much; the implication between lines that one's more intelligent for gaming on a PC datedly speaks to the opposite.

Big picture, PC play is associated with hog-wild cheating and this for console players gets filed under L for 'less bullshit' alongside what you overstate above. For those who also work day to day on computers with heads in software programmes, we find the very disassociation that console media offers to be a pro. As an example, talking to friends across in-house communities for a multitude of titles, running rare-feat side-by-sides, sharing live play, screengrabs et cetera, it feels very much its own world and something I personally find most enjoyable. Downloads or tacked-on applications whatnot to this end total zero; tick this, type that, VoIP here, share there, centralised all-party management, one handle or UID for across-the-board play or comp, done – one roof, one family.

To each his own seems an oft-expressed sentiment of console gamers whereas PC players can froth at the mouth in needing to be looked up to. Shit is embarrassing. It being 2020 framed your above passive-aggression; stop being a crusty stereotype and act then yourself the era. For PC kindred spirits, keep on and journey well, brothers. You truly get it.

Jesus dude relax for fuck sakes.

Consoles. For some reason I associate PC with work and I don't want it at home.

Back