PC help

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by Arthur Morgan, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Arthur Morgan Blue Belt Platinum Member

[​IMG]
    OK so i have been having some problems with my PC recently. Ill try to explain the issues as coherently as i can.

I installed new ram into my PC around early December( 4 8gb sticks).
    Shortly after that, late December, my PC wouldn't read my Hard Drive, it would just go into bios.
    Tried everything in bios but nothing got it to work properly.

PC from then on would boot up properly about 1 time out of 10 times.

I thought maybe bad SATA cables. So i bought new ones and the problem continued .

So then i bought a new SSD hard drive and installed new windows on that. The problem continued.

So then i bought a used mother board from a trusted friend. This mother board was never used. He bought it about one year ago but never used it. So then i replaced the motherboard and installed into my current tower. The problem continued.

After this i gave up and brought it into a local PC repair store and then "fixed it" . they said it was a few bad drivers. The problem seemed fixed for about 2 or 3 days and the same issue again.

I have scanned all the drivers and nothing comes up as wrong. but the issue is still happening .

Has anyone had a similar issue? What could it be? Could the new ram have caused this problem?

2. Woldog Undisputed Champion of Sherdog

What Power Supply do you have, how much power is it giving ya

3. Magooglie Steel Belt

have you tried putting the old ram back in to see if the new ram is bad?

4. Synseer83 Purple Belt

you went thru all those steps when you could have checked if the old ram would cause the problem

is the ram seated all the way in? stupid question i know

5. KaNesDeath Red Belt

Did you try using a different Sata port on the motherboard?

6. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

From what I've learned, you have to look at the computer's user manual to see exactly what kind of RAM it can use with respect to capacity and speed, how much RAM it can handle, which slots can handle how much RAM. You can't just put any RAM in there haphazardly.

Dust or RAM that got slightly unseated can cause the computer to fail to start properly. My old desktop sometimes makes a click sound as if parts in there are creeking out of proper connection and several times I had to reseat RAM to get it to start normally.

7. Holic Sock Puppet Exorcist

Did you adjust the RAM timings when you installed it? It's quite possible the bios are using the wrong timings.

8. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

Damn, that sounds incredibly frustrating.
    Apart from testing the old RAM, which is the most sensible first step, I'd also look into this. Is is possible you bought ECC RAM? Alternatively, maybe the RAM you bought is fighting the system trying to reach its default factory settings, but those settings aren't stable with that motherboard/CPU. That might explain why it works sometimes, and other times doesn't. Manually defaulting to the lowest DDR4 settings (2133) ought to control that.

9. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

When I upgraded my old laptop's RAM, I think the user manual said the BIOS would automatically detect the new RAM and size. I didn't have to mess with the BIOS.

10. Senzo Tanaka Silver Belt

RAM is very specific. You have to make sure you are using the exact compatible RAM for your motherboard or you'll have all kinds of bizarre issues. You say it's only going to the BIOS. If that's the case, you should be getting some kind of error on why it isn't booting. It would be helpful to know what code that is.

If it's going to the BIOS, that means there's some kind of hardware issue and it can't proceed to boot without correcting it. Almost certainly the RAM.

Go here, pick your motherboard and see what kind of memory it suggests. Compare that to what you have and start from there:

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-info?cm_re=top-nav-v2-_-flyout-products-_-memory-info

11. jefferz Steel Belt

If the above suggestions don't work, run Memtest86. It's a free tool that checks your memory for errors.

12. Arthur Morgan Blue Belt Platinum Member

SO i couldnt test the old ram because i installed it on my work PC and got rid of the old ram in my work pc.
    But yes i checked for dust and made sure its completely seated in.
    I have also tried all the sata ports on both motherboards.

13. Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

Until you control for RAM as your problem you won't know. After all, as you said, when you changed RAM is when the problems showed up. I wouldn't assume coincidence.

14. My Spot Not my liver spot. Not my bald spot.

Like Mick said, maybe you bought RAM that’s too fast for your MoBo.

15. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

You might think the RAM is seated properly, but from my experience, taking it out, blowing on the connections, putting it back in until it clicks on both sides can make a difference between start and no start.

In addition, from the user manual, I vaguely remember something about needing to install RAM in pairs or if using just one slot, you must use a certain slot.

16. Dirt Road Soldier All Praise To The Gun!

More than likely you bought the wrong speed RAM. You gotta triple check that shit, RAM issues can wreak havoc on a system.