PC Gamer considering buying PS4

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
PC nerds come at me!!

Despite starting the 20+ pages thread on FarCry 5 I still haven't played the game because my PC specs are a bit below the required setting and I am considering quite a few things to be able to play this game as well as other games. Will Elder Scrolls VI still be a PS4 game?

Upgrading my GPU to the recommended GeForce GTX 1080 Ti will cost more than just buying a PS4 as well as extra equipment to allow me to use my desktop monitor to play games.

Current specs:
CPU- Intel Core i-5 [email protected] GHz
Video Card- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
RAM- 8GB

Also, @SSgt Dickweed:

The i5-8400 scores 28% better in the UserBenchmark single core score and 37% better overall at stock than your i5-4460. If it can run an average of 109 fps (with a minimum of 97 fps) on Far Cry 5 Ultra settings @1080p, then I think it's fair to say that regardless of whatever theory is offered on Game Debate, your CPU is adequate to run the game at a playable framerate. Either the GPU or the RAM bandwidtth is your choke point (it's the GPU).

*Edit*
I'm trying to impress upon you how capable your CPU remains. The Intel 8th gen wasn't launched until October of last year, and even then nobody could find a damn 8700K until around January or February of this year.

So until the past six months the game developers were were effectively working with a level of gaming power that conformed to the i7-7700K or below, and they coded with the i5-7600K as the ceiling in mind:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4460/3647vs2310
In fact, your CPU is only 10% inferior to the i5-7400, which was released on January 3rd, 2017, and represents the bottom end of the gaming mainstream targeting the prebuilt market that doesn't overclock. Undoubtedly, Ubisoft wouldn't want to preclude this market:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7400-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4460/3886vs2310
Compare how your GTX 1050 Ti stacks up to the GTX 1080 Ti. The GTX 670 is its rough benchmark equal, and you can see the GTX 680 matches it in games in the benchmark jpeg I posted a few posts above-- the latter was launched in March 2012:
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/3918vs3649

Check out the Steam hardware survey:
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam
Over half the gaming market today is still on Intel CPUs under 3GHz, and that breaks down with a large number of dual core CPUs, too (6 out of 10 gamer CPUs is a quad core, 3 out of 10 is a dual core, and 1 out of 10 is something else).

Intel Processor base frequency

• 24% from 2.29GHz or below
  • 28% from 2.3GHz-2.99GHz
  • 41% from 3.0GHz-3.7GHz
    • 18% from 3.0-3.29 (you are 3.2GHz quad core w/3.4GHz Turbo)
    • 23% from 3.3-3.69
  • 7% from 3.7GHz+
You're still in the prime range. They target that middle 69%, chiefly, and mostly pander to the 7% elitists. Meanwhile, the GTX 1060 3GB, GTX 1060 6GB, RX 480, and RX 580 are the norm for GPUs, now, and all are considerably more powerful than the 1050 Ti.

I can also buy used PS4 games from FB groups for dirt cheap prices.

This seems to fit as I am not as diligent as some of you guys in researching the latest updates regarding PC specs and what not to keep up with what I need (never did).

So question is, do I buy a brand new PS4/ PS4 slim / used PS4? What problems would I encounter if I plan to use my desktop monitor to play PS4 games?

Last edited:
pros:

cheap. ok specs for the money. exclusives if there's one you care about.

cons:

couch co-op is long dead. the games aren't very good and most are on PC, anyway. ps+ subscription needed for online play (with some exceptions like f2p games)

new ones are $200 atm, so it's a good deal.

edit:

5 I still haven't played the game because my PC specs are a bit below the required setting

Current specs:
RAM- 8GB

wait, what?

PC nerds come at me!!

Despite starting the 20+ pages thread on FarCry 5 I still haven't played the game because my PC specs are a bit below the required setting and I am considering quite a few things to be able to play this game as well as other games.

Upgrading my GPU to the recommended GeForce GTX 1080 Ti will cost more than just buying a PS4 as well as extra equipment to allow me to use my desktop monitor to play games.

Current specs:
RAM- 8GB

I can also buy used games from FB groups for dirt cheap prices.

I am also not as diligent as researching the latest updates regarding PC specs and what not to keep up with what I need (never did).

So question is, do I buy a brand new PS4/ PS4 slim / used PS4? I plan to use my desktop monitor to play it.
This is one of the most demanding games ever released, currently. Think it's in the Top 10. Lengthy reply. Bear with me.

GTX 1080 Ti supply has run out. The only sealed new stragglers you'll find out there are at stupid prices (<$800 atm). Simultaneously, the only other cards that perform at its level or higher, the two new RTX cards (RTX 2080, RTX 2080 Ti), are absurdly overpriced.

That's the bad news. The good news is PC prices are spectacular right now; the best they've been since the summer of 2016. Furthermore, thanks to the core shift of CPUs, on an absolute scale, the performance:price curve of raw horsepower to dollars spent has enjoyed as great a leap in a two year span as we've ever seen for gaming CPUs. Meanwhile, AMD and NVIDIA both just crashed in the past month, with Wall Street calling it the "crypto-hangover", and NVIDIA has a massive excess of inventory with the old Pascal GPUs (the GTX 10 series GPUs). That is true in particular for the GTX 1060s, but GTX 1070 Ti sales right now are incredible. I posted about that today:
http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/146707339/

Meanwhile, last night, I just highlighted a brand new, sealed, MSI GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Armor OC card for $345 from an eBay seller retaining a 100% feedback rating with over 1,400 reviews. That went into the best bang-for-buck build blueprint I've ever been able to assemble. This build required an in-store Microcenter sale, which only those who live close to a Microcenter can enjoy, but sales on the AMD Ryzen six-core and eight-core processors have been insane the past few weeks:
So when prices get this low it really is hard not to dick around just seeing the maximum value you can assemble. I just had to see what I could do with that Microcenter combo:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J4QZvn
Holy krike that's a legit 1440p ultrawide gaming rig-- with the luxury of a 1TB SSD for pure SSD storage-- at an $883 base total after the $20 rebate is subtracted, and counting the unavoidable $3 shipping cost to any residency, but before potential variable tax is considered. Alternatively, the Samsung 860 EVO is $72.99 straight up on Newegg or Newegg Business, right now, and of course there is the cheap 250GB/256GB SSD + HDD strategy.
  • R7-1700X
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED
  • ASRock B450 Fatalt1y Gaming K4 ATX
  • MSI GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Armor OC
  • 2x8GB G. Skill Ripjaw V DDR4-3600 CAS16 RAM
  • 1TB SanDisk Ultra 3D 2.5" SSD
  • Corsair CX750W V2
  • Rosewill Challenger ATX Case, Black
  • No OS included

The GTX 1070 Ti is only ~5% inferior to the GTX 1080 in games. Wasn't it just 8 months ago that the lowest prices we were seeing on any GTX 1070 Ti model were running over $600 by themselves?
GTX 1070 Ti
trend.gpu.chipset.geforce-gtx-1070-ti.97156c1b960c430ff6f90f977c7fe065.png

GTX 1080
trend.gpu.chipset.geforce-gtx-1080.8139c2b15e3bb7c5d1c3292748653839.png
More broadly, I will point out your logic in the OP doesn't make sense. You don't need a 1080 Ti to play the game smoothly. You need that to meet "Ultra" requirements. In fact, you need two. That's what SLI/Crossfire means. Basically, it requires a baller PC to run this game at Ultra settings:
https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=31290&game=Far Cry 5

Nevertheless, your GTX 1050 Ti is nearly identical to the GTX 670 in terms of performance, though it probably has double the VRAM (which is nice), but that is barely enough to meet the minimum. Your CPU also meets these requirements. Generally, as I'm guess you have discovered, just meeting the theoretical "Minimum" sucks. Even if you turn all the graphical settings to the lowest you often will run into the most demanding sequences or areas in the game, and will suffer a framerate dip that causes stuttering or temporary freezing due to the fps drop. You can lower the rendered resolution to 720p to get a smooth framerate, but nobody wants to do that:
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-670-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/2181vs3649

Okay. So your options.

Option #1: PS4 Pro or PS4 Slim
First, understand that even the PS4 Pro will render graphics for that game that are in line with the "Low" or "Minimum" settings on a PC, and only runs the game at 30fps. What they call "High settings" on the PS4 Pro (when given selectable options) is not "High" on a PC. They correspond to "low" PC graphical settings-- if even that for the original PS4 or Xbox One. They are nerfed hard by today's PC graphics standards.
  • The PS4 Pro runs these at 30fps@1620p (a unique resolution) and either upscales to 4K TVs/monitors or downscales to 1440p/1080p TVs/monitors
    • PS4 Pro GPU is equivalent to RX 570 or GTX 1060
  • The PS4 runs these at 30fps@1080p. In spite of this, it still suffers widespread anecdotes & videos of framerate dips during challenging sequences across the web
    • PS4 GPU equivalent is an RX 560 or GTX 1050
Nonetheless, Black Friday and Cyber Monday tend to be great days for Console sales. This is an option.

Option #2: Upgrade your GPU

You rig is pretty damn close to the "Recommended" requirements. The GPU is the weak link. However, this may not be an option. Your setup appears to be a rig you converted cheaply from an office or mainstream prebuild. The reason for my suspicion is those i5-4460 CPUs were common in those builds. Couple that with the GTX 1050 Ti, which can run off the motherboard without a more robust power supply unit, and that's why I assume this might be the case. If it is you are already running the best GPU ever made that your rig can handle, and you will have to build a whole new rig with a proper PSU (because your case likely isn't ATX compliant, so you can't just buy a new PSU). If this isn't the case, and your PSU can already support a more powerful GPU, then I would recommend looking at the current midrange of cards with the supply excess. We should see exceptional prices for these until the end of the year. Sales are already fantastic:

Midrange
  • AMD RX 580 8GB
  • AMD RX 590
  • NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB
  • NVIDIA GTX 1070
High Range
  • AMD RX Vega 56
  • AMD RX Vega 64
  • NVIDIA GTX 1070 Ti
  • NVIDIA GTX 1080

Option #3: Buy a Prebuild
Simpler than building. There are a lot of prebuild sales popping off, right now, too. My recommend units for this game will start around $900-$1000. These will exceed the "Recommended" settings by a slim margin. Spend more to go big.

Option #4: Build a New PC
The good news is that if you are thinking of buying a new rig, RIGHT NOW is the time, and I'll help slap one together for you before the weekend is over. I assembled a blueprint earlier this week that could meet the "Recommended" settings for around $650 (not counting the cost of Windows which is around $100 if you don't have an "alternative" means of obtaining it such as purchasing those cheap grey market liecnsing keys from a place like Kingguin).

We could assemble a build that meets the "Ultra requirements" for around $1500, I estimate, and this includes the cost of Windows.

PC nerds come at me!!

Despite starting the 20+ pages thread on FarCry 5 I still haven't played the game because my PC specs are a bit below the required setting and I am considering quite a few things to be able to play this game as well as other games. Will Elder Scrolls VI still be a PS4 game?

Current specs:
RAM- 8GB

I can also buy used PS4 games from FB groups for dirt cheap prices.

This seems to fit as I am not as diligent as some of you guys in researching the latest updates regarding PC specs and what not to keep up with what I need (never did).

So question is, do I buy a brand new PS4/ PS4 slim / used PS4? What problems would I encounter if I plan to use my desktop monitor to play PS4 games?

Lol no way the recommended requirements to play Far Cry 5 is a 1080Ti.

Just checked the recommended requirements. It says GTX 970/ AMD R9 290X

The minimum is GTX 670/AMD R9 270

It's a really bad time to buy a graphics card right now because of the bitcoin mining craze. I don't think the prices for the GPUs have went down yet.

Can't help you with the PS4 though

This is one of the most demanding games ever released, currently. Think it's in the Top 10. Lengthy reply. Bear with me.

GTX 1080 Ti supply has run out. The only sealed new stragglers you'll find out there are at stupid prices (<$800 atm). Simultaneously, the only other cards that perform at its level or higher, the two new RTX cards (RTX 2080, RTX 2080 Ti), are absurdly overpriced.

That's the bad news. The good news is PC prices are spectacular right now; the best they've been since the summer of 2016. Furthermore, thanks to the core shift of CPUs, on an absolute scale, the performance:price curve of raw horsepower to dollars spent has enjoyed as great a leap in a two year span as we've ever seen for gaming CPUs. Meanwhile, AMD and NVIDIA both just crashed in the past month, with Wall Street calling it the "crypto-hangover", and NVIDIA has a massive excess of inventory with the old Pascal GPUs (the GTX 10 series GPUs). That is true in particular for the GTX 1060s, but GTX 1070 Ti sales right now are incredible. I posted about that today:

Meanwhile, last night, I just highlighted a brand new, sealed, MSI GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Armor OC card for $345 from an eBay seller retaining a 100% feedback rating with over 1,400 reviews. That went into the best bang-for-buck build blueprint I've ever been able to assemble. This build required an in-store Microcenter sale, which only those who live close to a Microcenter can enjoy, but sales on the AMD Ryzen six-core and eight-core processors have been insane the past few weeks:

More broadly, I will point out your logic in the OP doesn't make sense. You don't need a 1080 Ti to play the game smoothly. You need that to meet "Ultra" requirements. In fact, you need two. That's what SLI/Crossfire means. Basically, it requires a baller PC to run this game at Ultra settings:

Nevertheless, your GTX 1050 Ti is nearly identical to the GTX 670 in terms of performance, though it probably has double the VRAM (which is nice), but that is barely enough to meet the minimum. Your CPU also meets these requirements. Generally, as I'm guess you have discovered, just meeting the theoretical "Minimum" sucks. Even if you turn all the graphical settings to the lowest you often will run into the most demanding sequences or areas in the game, and will suffer a framerate dip that causes stuttering or temporary freezing due to the fps drop. You can lower the rendered resolution to 720p to get a smooth framerate, but nobody wants to do that:
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-670-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/2181vs3649

Okay. So your options.

First, understand that even the PS4 Pro will render graphics for that game that are in line with the "Low" or "Minimum" settings on a PC, and only runs the game at 30fps. What they call "High settings" on the PS4 Pro (when given selectable options) is not "High" on a PC. They correspond to "low" PC graphical settings-- if even that for the original PS4 or Xbox One. They are nerfed hard by today's PC graphics standards.
  • The PS4 Pro runs these at 30fps@1620p (a unique resolution) and either upscales to 4K TVs/monitors or downscales to 1440p/1080p TVs/monitors
  • The PS4 runs these at 30fps@1080p. In spite of this, it still suffers widespread anecdotes & videos of framerate dips during challenging sequences across the web
Nonetheless, Black Friday and Cyber Monday tend to be great days for Console sales. This is an option.

You rig is pretty damn close to the "Recommended" requirements. The GPU is the weak link. However, this may not be an option. Your setup appears to be a rig you converted cheaply from an office or mainstream prebuild. The reason for my suspicion is those i5-4460 CPUs were common in those builds. Couple that with the GTX 1050 Ti, which can run off the motherboard without a more robust power supply unit, and that's why I assume this might be the case. If it is you are already running the best GPU ever made that your rig can handle, and you will have to build a whole new rig with a proper PSU (because your case likely isn't ATX compliant, so you can't just buy a new PSU). If this isn't the case, and your PSU can already support a more powerful GPU, then I would recommend looking at the current midrange of cards with the supply excess. We should see exceptional prices for these until the end of the year. Sales are already fantastic:

Midrange
  • AMD RX 580 8GB
  • AMD RX 590
  • NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB
  • NVIDIA GTX 1070
High Range
  • AMD RX Vega 56
  • AMD RX Vega 64
  • NVIDIA GTX 1070 Ti
  • NVIDIA GTX 1080

Simpler than building. There are a lot of prebuild sales popping off, right now, too. My recommend units for this game will start around $900-$1000. These will exceed the "Recommended" settings by a slim margin. Spend more to go big.

The good news is that if you are thinking of buying a new rig, RIGHT NOW is the time, and I'll help slap one together for you before the weekend is over. I assembled a blueprint earlier this week that could meet the "Recommended" settings for around $650 (not counting the cost of Windows which is around $100 if you don't have an "alternative" means of obtaining it such as purchasing those cheap grey market liecnsing keys from a place like Kingguin).

We could assemble a build that meets the "Ultra requirements" for around $1500, I estimate, and this includes the cost of Windows.
You have some good info in there but no offense, TS is considering buying a PS4 because he doesn't have enough money for a GPU and you are suggesting him to build an entire new system for $1500 lol.

pros:

cheap. ok specs for the money. exclusives if there's one you care about.

cons:

couch co-op is long dead. the games aren't very good and most are on PC, anyway. ps+ subscription needed for online play (with some exceptions like f2p games)

new ones are $200 atm, so it's a good deal.

edit:

wait, what?

It's been a while since I attempted to play it, but below are my recent posts on the matter. I am gonna play it again on Steam to see where it is at. And btw, I couldn't play it again because it is yet again downloading on Steam with updates. This is another reason why a shift to PS4 is good for me. I don't like all this having to download for an upgrade/patch bullshit. Let me just turn something on and play.

Someone obviously better equipped to answer this will come along but I’m curious to know why it won’t run on those specs.

What resolution and screen size are you trying to play it on?

TBC, it could play FC5 with the specs I wrote, it just lags so much it simply doesn't sync with how a normal gamer plays.

1680 x 1050 resolution

Screen size is something like 24 by 16 inches.

Okay. So your options.

Midrange
  • AMD RX 580 8GB
  • AMD RX 590
  • NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB
  • NVIDIA GTX 1070
High Range
  • AMD RX Vega 56
  • AMD RX Vega 64
  • NVIDIA GTX 1070 Ti
  • NVIDIA GTX 1080

I have to give you props for taking the time to write all of that. My point still stands in that the price of a used PS4 is simply less than having to buy a new GPU.

I am not particularly fond of the high settings a PC can offer. I watch a PS4 user on Twitch and it seems perfectly fine to me. That's what I want.

It's been a while since I attempted to play it, but below are my recent posts on the matter. I am gonna play it again on Steam to see where it is at. And btw, I couldn't play it again because it is yet again downloading on Steam with updates. This is another reason why a shift to PS4 is good for me. I don't like all this having to download for an upgrade/patch bullshit. Let me just turn something on and play.

lolz. i have bad news for you...

consoles haven't been like this since the ps2 days.

You have some good info in there but no offense, TS is considering buying a PS4 because he doesn't have enough money for a GPU and you are suggesting him to build an entire new system for $1500 lol.

He also gave very good budget options to get where he needs to be.

I have to give you props for taking the time to write all of that. My point still stands in that the price of a used PS4 is simply less than having to buy a new GPU.

I am not particularly fond of the high settings a PC can offer. I watch a PS4 user on Twitch and it seems perfectly fine to me. That's what I want.

If you are cool with buying used on the ps4, then used gpu’s can come into play also.

The PS4 Pro is more powerful than most gaming pcs anyway. Join the master race bro.

No, TS made no mention of budgetary constraints, and didn't specify a budget ceiling.

I thought maybe he just didn't have a realistic impression of the game's demands. I can see now that he was only seeking advice about potential tech caveats to run a PS4 with his monitor since his monitor apparently only has DVI inputs. I'm not needed to answer this, and it doesn't particularly interest me. Google has it covered. He needs an adapter and to use a pair of headphones (because the DVI cable won't run audio). If the monitor has issues because of aspect ratios or poor drivers, so it goes. Life of a console gamer. If it doesn't just work with the plug n' play, often there's not a lot you can do.

There are sales popping off for 1080p TVs/monitors for less than $130 that will have an HDMI input if he runs into intolerable output issues.

I'm not trying to argue with you, I was just presenting options. Your reference to the 1080 Ti had me thinking your ambition was running the game at higher settings. If you don't care about graphics you should just turn down the native rendering to 720p on the PC. That's easily the cheapest solution.

You want to buy a PS4 for $200, and you wanted tech advice. This was a very roundabout way to get at it. In any case, the forum will benefit from a presentation of the options, and a better understanding of what they entail.
lolz. i have bad news for you...

consoles haven't been like this since the ps2 days.
Yeah, I don't think he realizes that live patch rollouts are the new norm. You're going to hit updates that prevent you from logging into online games all the time until you download that patch. There's zero material difference here between PCs and PS4.

What are your monitor specs? With dvi only I doubt it’s hrz is high enough to warrant a strong gpu anyway.

Turn the settings down and roll on.

Sounds like you know what you want but sought a nudge rather in the very direction.

Mick's the man and you'd be a boob not to take notes, but if at the heart of it is you coming home from work, kicking your feet up without worry over update x or spec y, and then disappearing into a world all your own, that's well realised in purchase of the PS4. You needn't in sum really overthink details or differences between platforms when working backwards from your personal optimum.

I have a Pro myself and, mate, it's fantastic. Killer exclusives, lone-wolf matters or join a bustling online community (it's pence at some 7€ monthly), beautiful visuals… And FC5 was a blast. Pun unintended. Enjoy, Sarge, and let us know which model you bring home.

The only reason to buy a PS4 is for the exclusives. If you care about graphics just hold out until you can upgrade/build a new PC. You still need to download patches/updates if you're on PS4(if you're connected).

That said the exclusives for the PS4 are really good, and there are some dirt cheap deals out now.

Xbox One and PS4 bundles available for Black Friday sarge. Now is the time to get one. Rumours are next console cycle is 2020.

The best PS4 bundle is the slim 1TB with Spiderman for $199.

Xbox One S 1TB with lol Minecraft (really M$?) for $199. There is a better Forza horizon 4 bundle but I think its $229 IIRC.

I am canadian and we don't get those sweet prices.

The PS4 Pro is more powerful than most gaming pcs anyway. Join the master race bro.

My CPU outperforms the PS4 Pro CPU by 33%. Where the PS4 Pro was released two years after my CPU purchase.

Back