1. Walt Harris' daughter is missing around Auburn, Alabama. Please read this thread for more information.

PBC Showtime Gervonta vs Gamboa & Pascal vs Jack Dec.28th

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by MMALOPEZ, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Rob-G

Rob-G Blue Belt

Did Gerald McClellan waste his career? How about Magomed Abdusalamov? Rocky Lockridge who’s homeless? Leon Spinks who’s working at McDonalds? Terry Norris? Look at what happened to Joe Louis. I could list names all day that people have pretty much forgotten about or have had bad things happen with them. While I’m sure most of them have no regrets, surely it’s safe to say the sport has been very unforgiving towards them. Do you feel all of them have wasted their careers?

2. svmVR2097

svmVR2097 Purple Belt

How does Gamboa's actually relate to any of them other than they all boxed? How did the sport of boxing make it responsible for him not having anyone show up to his events when he had fan support until he decided to think he should've been paid like mayweather and messed around doing nothing? Turning down fights, getting into bed with rappers who think they are promoters. Getting busted for domestic violence. Being linked to clinics that supplied major athletes with HGH.

Boxing wasn't responsible for any of that. Boxing got his ass out of Cuba.

McClellan, Magomed and those you listed are all completely different stories and you damn well know it. Yes it can be brutal and I never suggested otherwise but you make it seem like Gamboa is helpless and somehow damaged solely because of being in the ring.

3. Rob-G

Rob-G Blue Belt

Gamboa relates to them in the sense that they’ve all faced the harsh realities of boxing. Something you tried downplaying in your original response to me. Self inflicted or not, that was never the point I was trying to make. I was just saying in general boxing can be extremely unforgiving. Gamboa’s Learned that.

A lot of what you said, it’s been a recurring theme with a LOT of the Cubans. Hell look at Odlanier Solis and Yan Barthelemy. Ok I’m totally going off topic here. I think what pushed a lot of these guys over the edge was freedom. Growing up in a country where it’s a struggle to get running water and food, bread being the only thing in stock at grocery stores. not being allowed to own a small business, having your family murdered over land disputes, not being allowed to have internet, not even being allowed to have a tv in most houses. Hell Joel Casamayor got a bicycle as a reward for winning his gold medal. These guys come to the USA and having all this freedom they’ve never had before, it already feels like winning the world championship. It was actually Luis Ortiz and Yoandris Salinas that explained a lot of this to me. For me it’s hard to judge these guys. Inocente Fiz lived such an uncivilized life in Cuba that he couldn’t even adapt to being in the USA. Hey boxing has helped them get outta there! You got me there. I’ll agree with you on that. Boxing’s been great to them. Gamboa was the shining star in that whole wave of new Cuban fighters though, and it’s just sad seeing nothing really come of it. Especially having a front row ticket to all of these guys early fights. Ok I’m probably getting boring now lol, but I actually think this is history repeating itself. This happened with Team Freedom in the early 90’s. Ivan Ledon, Ramon Ledon, Reidel Chipi, Diosbelys Hurtado, Giorbis Barthelemy, Alexis Barcelay, it looked like there was gonna be a Cuban takeover in the early 90’s. Sadly the only one to even so much as break out of the local scene was Hurtado. I used to see Alexis Barcelay all the time at Jorge Rubio’s gym. I think he was homeless. Sad to me how none of these guys saw any success. Yes it can be self inflicted, you can’t tell me I can’t feel bad for them though for finding out how unforgiving the final result was for them

Mr.Maelstrom and Codpiece like this.
  4. HardasNAILZ

HardasNAILZ Brown Belt

Shit fight. JUST SHIT.

5. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Gold Belt

6. JudoJabs

JudoJabs White Belt

Good card

MMALOPEZ likes this.
  7. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Gold Belt

8. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Gold Belt

Two-time super featherweight champion Gervonta “Tank’’ Davis, Mayweather Promotions’ top rising star and boxing’s hottest attraction, will seek to conquer another division and close out the year with a bang when he takes on former unified world champion Yuriorkis Gamboa for the WBA Lightweight Title live on SHOWTIME Saturday, December 28 from State Farm Arena in Atlanta in a special year-end Premier Boxing Champions event.

Davis and Gamboa both scored highlight-reel knockouts this summer to set up this world title showdown that will headline a special holiday SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® telecast that begins at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT. Interim WBA Light Heavyweight Champion Jean Pascal will defend against two-division champion Badou Jack in the co-feature of this PBC event.

Officially in Atlanta

Old Cat likes this.
  9. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Gold Belt

10. cocksure

cocksure Silver Belt

Hoping Gamboa can turn back the clock and make a fight of it. Floyd must have mixed emotions with Tank stealing his girl of late.

11. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Gold Belt

12. cottagecheesefan

cottagecheesefan Silver Belt

Stole his girl?? I missed that.

Anyways, really hoping Gamboa can pull something off and put Davis in his place.

He was able to land some decent shots on Bud, who is a lot better and a lot more consistent than Davis, so hopefully that is a sign of potential for the upset.

13. Sonxy

Sonxy White Belt

I hope for a good fight. The Crawford fight was 5 years ago though.

14. Sonxy

Sonxy White Belt

Why does Davis move up anyways? have there been any details posted?
    I think he is quite small for 135 and he did not even fight the competition at 130.

15. borntoloseNOT

borntoloseNOT Brown Belt

Interesting. Don't recall Pascal/Jack being announced when I posted this, but that's kinda funny. I was about to post (after reading revised title to thread) that I didn't know why shells of themselves like Gamboa and Pascal kept getting fights, but shit Pascal just beat Browne who beat Jack, so wtf am I talking about.

16. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Gold Belt

17. Old Cat

Old Cat Gold Belt

I may to go to this one. I hate that it’s 3 days after Christmas.

cottagecheesefan likes this.
  18. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Gold Belt

19. seau45

seau45 Brown Belt

At least Gamboa is a live body, he's certainly no Hugo Ruiz lol

borntoloseNOT likes this.
  20. cottagecheesefan

cottagecheesefan Silver Belt

I would go to this event, easy drive for me, but have no desire to go to Atlanta.

Yacob likes this.