Paying to get promoted

Belt fees are undoubtedly lame, but not a reason to leave a gym if everything else is good.

Personally I've never seen such practices independent from other additional shady stuff.

I had to pay:

100 for blue
200 for purple
300 for brown
400 for BB to my instructor

then another 400 to the IBJJF to get my ibjjf certificate.

I have paid my instructor come promotion day because every promotion is a hours seminar with an out-of-town/country BB, so everyone that can afford it pays less than 50 bucks to fund the visiting BB travel and accomodation.

I wouldn't pay for a belt unless there was no other way or it came with an IBJJF affiliation.

anyone who pays a significant amount for a belt is an absolute mug... who gives a shit about a coloured belt

At my judo club, there isn't any fee for promotions for kyu grades. The instructor just charges you for the price of the belt if you choose to buy one from him, about $10. I'm not near shodan yet, so I don't know what the fee is to do the grading.

well, to answer TS's question, it is a fairly common practice, even if it isn't well-loved.

I had to pay:

100 for blue
200 for purple
300 for brown

wtf? Who is your instructor?

i haven't paid for any promotions, but i can understand charging to cover the belt cost and if there's any special event/seminar type thing planned.

in all honesty, if that's the only dodgy thing about the club, i wouldn't be too worried. People gots to get paid.

I had to pay:

100 for blue
200 for purple
300 for brown

oh
519T4YEWKHL.jpg

a lot of people on here assuming that if you paid at all, you're getting scammed and your teacher is a crook. not necessarily so. there's also an assumption that its as simple, and pointless, as writing a check and getting a belt.

my teacher does not live here, so he has to travel out to test. when he does, it's an intensive, closed door, several hour event. it's much more like a private lesson, where you get constant correction and feedback on what you are testing on, as well as planning for the future. it is extremely helpful to your development.

i don't think it's unreasonable for him to get paid for his time, and i don't feel like i am getting scammed. it's just a very different process than the traditional brazilian "hey here's your belt" thing, or even the ridiculous tae kwon do style promotion, where 40 people do their kata, and some bullshit sparring, and then hand out belts. people should be upset if they are paying for that type of thing.

I try to keep in mind that i'm a student of the martial art of BJJ. that doesn't mean that i'm mindless, or obedient to bullshit, but it is a situation that i am not completely in control of. sure, i can leave, if i don't like what's going on, and there are certainly things that could make that happen. but a lot of people talk about changing school, deciding they know how their training should be and how the school should run, etc. seems like people don't have much of a real relationship with their schools and teachers if leaving is the only option you see when you don't like something. and i really have a hard time imagining someone in days past, walking into the Kodokan, or Emmanuel Steward's boxing gym, or Mas Oyama's, and saying, "hey, this isn't how you should run this place".

Last edited:
Seems like it cheapens the promotion somehow to charge for it. Better to just raise the monthly rate than to charge for promotions.

I hate the very idea of money changing hands being a part of getting promoted, but can begrudgingly be at peace with the idea if:

1) The school charges notably less in monthly dues in comparison to surrounding schools, so that the cost of promotions really just brings the cost of training there up to the market average

2) If the instructor doing the promoting is not local & has to travel a distance to visit the school & promote people. At the end of the day, that's a real cost that's being incurred in order for the promotions to happen.

The issue here is everyone is trying to paint a black & white picture for a gray situation. IMO, there are too many "What if's" in this. Some areas of the country/state/city, training is given and belts are handed out when earned, in other's fees are charged.

IMO, anyone with half a brain can see through the McDojo crap in today's training environment. If not, then you deserve to get your money taken. Think about it, if you are training at a TKD school where the TKD instructor teaches BJJ 2 nights a week and you pay for your belts, then you are a sucker. If a well known BB travels to evaluate you, spends a few hours/days with the class, then they deserve to get compensated for it.

I stand by the "you get what you pay for rule", the problem is many in today's society dont like to pay for anything. They want a BB to teach every class, pay $50 a month, and given belts/stripes for free.

The issue here is everyone is trying to paint a black & white picture for a gray situation. IMO, there are too many "What if's" in this. Some areas of the country/state/city, training is given and belts are handed out when earned, in other's fees are charged.

IMO, anyone with half a brain can see through the McDojo crap in today's training environment. If not, then you deserve to get your money taken. Think about it, if you are training at a TKD school where the TKD instructor teaches BJJ 2 nights a week and you pay for your belts, then you are a sucker. If a well known BB travels to evaluate you, spends a few hours/days with the class, then they deserve to get compensated for it.

I stand by the "you get what you pay for rule", the problem is many in today's society dont like to pay for anything. They want a BB to teach every class, pay $50 a month, and given belts/stripes for free.

absolutely true. every time the issue of cost of training comes up on here, you hear two things: BJJ is too expensive overall, and why do they charge so much more than judo or wrestling

This!!

I don't agree on charging for stripes... it's a piece of white tape wrapped around a belt that you have worked your ass of for. A testing fee for a new belt isn't that big of a deal considering the amount of time it takes to go from one belt color to another..
And you usually know when the test is coming so you have time to save up.. stay away from Starbucks for a week and that will cover the testing fee

Be thankful you're not training in a TKD place.. fees for breathing

Unacceptable. I would not train in a place that does this. Tell me what I need to pay per month and make it all inclusive. If you need to raise prices I understand, prices go up, but be reasonable about it. If you try to play mind games ala the lloydway fuck you go find someone else for your pyramid scam.

Unacceptable. I would not train in a place that does this.
If instructor is good then why not? I'd rather stay white belt forever to make this practice ridiculous.

Do you have an option to refuse promotion? As a paying customer, I'm assuming I can say no the fees.

If you can say no and still train there, then all is good.

Back