Social [Pay to Play in the NCAA] College Athletes Advocating For Revenue Sharing

Didn’t I just say don’t reply or quote me anymore? You should really just stick to defending all the nationalities out there.

Like you don’t know how racist Orange County is lol. White bros dont hang out with Asian boys like you and you’re sour about it.
lol I'm not the one sour and whining all the time. You endlessly bitch about SoCal. JUST. FUCKIN. MOVE.
Easy solution, TrippleOG.

lol I'm not the one sour and whining all the time. You endlessly bitch about SoCal. JUST. FUCKIN. MOVE.
Easy solution, TrippleOG.
Lol I live 5 mins from Laguna Beach. I work for one of the most prestigious medical device companies in Orange County doing regulatory affairs.

I bought my own condo and my parents own 4 houses in Socal.
Lol at moving... you don’t know a dam thing about my life.
Sorry I don’t like to see the Chinese invade my city and take over. I’m not the only one ..

Lol I live 5 mins from Laguna Beach. I work for one of the most prestigious medical device companies in Orange County doing regulatory affairs.

I bought my own condo and my parents own 4 houses in Socal.
Lol at moving... you don’t know a dam thing about my life.
Sorry I don’t like to see the Chinese invade my city and take over. I’m not the only one ..
I didn't ask for your life story, Tripple. I told you to stop whining so much about "stunnas" overtaking your utopia.

Scott Van Pelt weighs on college athletes being able to cash in on endorsements and appearances starting in 2021. SVP says this change is well overdue and he is happy college athletes can finally make money off their talents. Van Pelt sees problems with the NCAA being able to police where each athlete's money is coming from.

Last edited:
Court Panel Rules Against NCAA Restrictions on Athlete Pay
Greta Anderson | May 19, 2020​

A California federal appeals court has concluded that rules set by the National Collegiate Athletic Association to limit education-related compensation for athletes violate antitrust law.

The opinion issued May 18 by a three-judge panel in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit upheld a district court’s decision that the NCAA cannot restrict colleges from granting “non-cash education-related benefits” to athletes in Division I of the Football Bowl Subdivision, which encompass the nation’s most successful football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball programs.

Institutions are permitted to give money to athletes to pay for computers, musical instruments and other products and services used for academic pursuits, beyond the cost of attendance, or COA, which includes tuition, room and board, meals, and textbooks, the panel said. The NCAA also may not bar scholarships to athletes for study abroad programs or financial aid given after athletes have exhausted their eligibility to compete, according to the ruling.

The case, Alston v. NCAA, was originally ruled on by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in March 2019 and was partly favorable to the NCAA, which argued that allowing certain types of athlete pay would eliminate distinctions between professional and college athletics. The panel agreed that the NCAA’s restrictions on athlete pay unrelated to education, and a requirement that athletic scholarships not exceed COA, were essential for “preserving amateurism and thus improving consumer choice by maintaining a distinction between college and professional sports,” according to the Ninth Circuit ruling.

The panel also addressed the enactment of the Fair Pay for Play Act in California last October. The law goes into effect in January 2023 and will allow college athletes in the state to be paid for use of their name, image and likeness, or NIL. Athletes who brought the Alston case to court argued that the NCAA’s creation of a working group to explore allowing NIL benefits nullifies the association’s argument that such benefits would diminish the amateurism model. But the Ninth Circuit panel said this argument is “premature” and “the NCAA has not endorsed cash compensation untethered to education.”

Judge Milan Smith concurred with the panel’s decision to focus on education-related expenses rather than payments unrelated to academics because of precedent set during a previous case in the Ninth Circuit, O’Bannon v. NCAA, but Smith also expressed concern that the court’s interpretation of antitrust law is damaging to athletes. He said the court relies on the NCAA’s argument that the compensation differences between college and professional sports are what “drive consumer demand” and strengthen the sports entertainment market, however, the same considerations aren’t made for the higher education market, where athletes could benefit from having greater choice over where they compete and the compensation they receive for their athletic success.

“The treatment of Student-Athletes is not the result of free market competition,” Smith wrote. “To the contrary, it is the result of a cartel of buyers acting in concert to artificially depress the price that sellers could otherwise receive for their services. Our antitrust laws were originally meant to prohibit exactly this sort of distortion.”

https://www.insidehighered.com/quic...l-rules-against-ncaa-restrictions-athlete-pay

Last edited:
This is what the NCAA was depriving of their athletes. This isn't colleges paying athletes, this is just a person no longer banned from using their name and doing commercials and sponsorships. Nearly a million dollars for a right out of highschool, not even yet playing, QB to a big school

Glad to see athletes finally getting their piece of the pie.

The Supreme Court has rejected the NCAA’s claim that its amateur league status could not be maintained if athletes could receive pay, and concluded that their cap on what a school can offer in education-related compensation is in violation of antitrust laws.

The NCAA should see that the writing on the wall now rather than continue pushing this through the courts and see their entire business model declared illegal. 19 states have passed laws on compensation for college athletes after California trailblazed the way, and Congress is crafting bills that would make it nation-wide.

Supreme Court issues decision allowing compensation for student-athletes

By Nuria Diaz and Roman Bobek Jun 26, 2021

09192020_AMB_RBGMemorialmorning0224-1000x670.jpg

The Supreme Court sided with college athletes against the National Collegiate Athletic Association after a unanimous 9–0 decision affirmed an education-related increase in college athlete compensation Monday.

Under the decision, the NCAA can provide student athletes unlimited education-related compensation, like compensation for internships or funds for musical instruments. The justices rejected the NCAA’s claim that its amateur league status could not be maintained if athletes could receive pay.

“It’s tremendous to win this 9-0,” Jeffrey Kessler, lead plaintiff’s attorney, told ESPN Monday morning. “Hopefully it will be the major next step on the road to a true fair competitive system for these athletes.”

Justice Neil Gorsuch delivered the court’s opinion, upholding the district court’s decision that the NCAA was in violation of antitrust laws by placing a cap on education-related benefits that schools can provide to athletes.

“To the extent it means to propose a sort of judicially ordained immunity from the terms of the Sherman Act for its restraints of trade — that we should overlook its restrictions because they happen to fall at the intersection of higher education, sports, and money — we cannot agree,” Gorsuch wrote in the decision.

Though the Court limited the scope of its decision specifically to education-related benefits rather than examining the entirety of the NCAA’s business model, Kavanaugh penned a blistering concurring opinion that suggests NCAA rules restricting any type of compensation may no longer hold up against future antitrust challenges.

“Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate,” Kavanaugh wrote. “And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law.”

In the past two years, the NCAA has become the subject of increased scrutiny as 19 states have passed laws rebuking rules imposed by the organization, allowing players to receive third-party endorsements, ESPN reported Monday. Congress is also in the midst of debating several bills seeking to reform the organization, like the College Athlete Bill of Rights Act and the College Athlete Right to Organize Act.

“We remain committed to working with Congress to chart a path forward, which is a point the Supreme Court expressly stated in its ruling,” NCAA president Mark Emmert said in a statement.

Judge Claudia Wilken ruled in favor of former West Virginia football player Shawne Alston in 2019, about five years after the original case was filed, arguing that schools should be able to provide their athletes with educational equipment, study abroad programs, internships and cash rewards in exchange for academic accomplishments, culminating in a $208 million class action settlement, ABC News reported.

The NCAA later asked the Supreme Court to review the ruling.

Wilken also ruled against the NCAA in 2014 after former UCLA basketball player Ed O’Bannon led a lawsuit challenging NCAA bylaws prohibiting colleges from granting student-athletes a share of the revenue when their image is used in broadcast and other forms of contracts.

The NCAA’s attorney’s appealed the lower court decision, claiming the measures were “micromanaging” rules that should be articulated by the NCAA itself and that the added benefits were “akin to professional salaries.”

Steve Berman, co-counsel in the Alston case, is also currently leading a lawsuit challenging the limits the NCAA is placing on future name, image and likeness opportunities for college athletes, ESPN reported. Berman told ESPN on Monday that his firm is considering a more aggressive approach by asking the court to remove any restrictions on athlete compensation.

“In light of Justice Kavanaugh’s comments, we’re rethinking whether we should once again challenge pay for play,” Berman said. “Kavanaugh is suggesting you should go after everything.”

https://www.gwhatchet.com/2021/06/2...n-allowing-compensation-for-student-athletes/

Last edited:
LOL

Now we wait and see how the NCAA and Universities negotiate scholarship opportunities for athletes. They're not gonna let their scheme die this easily.

Does this mean more or less "compliance officers" within the Athletic Department?

Latest NIL Twist: Millions Being Pledged to College Athletes
Money is pouring in by the millions as name, image and likeness efforts spring up around major college athletic programs eager to aid the marketing of athletes and bring wealthy alumni into the game
By Jim Vertuno • Published December 15, 2021

texas-football.jpg

Six months after one of the biggest rule changes in the history of college sports, money for athletes is being pledged by the millions in a development that has raised concerns about the role of wealthy alumni eager to back their beloved alma maters.

At Texas, one group is dangling $50,000 a year for individual offensive linemen while another says it already has $10 million promised for Longhorns athletes. At Oregon, billioniare Nike founder Phil Knight is part of group helping Ducks athletes line up deals -- just one of many interested parties with deep pockets jumping in alongside the apparel companies, energy drink companies, car dealerships and restaurants already signing athletes to endorsement deals.

College football's first national signing day arrives this week in this new money era. With few rules governing how it all works, the push to dangle cash in front of players already in uniform and lure future stars to campus has created a new, rapidly expanding frontier in college sports with so-called "collectives" and even nonprofits popping up to play ball.

"It is the wild, wild West," said Todd Berry, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association. "Did anyone expect anything different?"

Hundreds if not thousands of athletes are taking advantage of the name, image and likeness era, signing mostly modest deals to lend their celebrity to an advertising campaign for any number of businesses across the country. Some have landed truly spectacular deals worth far more.

The guidance put in place by the NCAA, schools and state laws are clear about one thing: A NIL deal cannot pay a player directly to attend or play for a school, though most schools were quick to provide NIL guidance, support and connections to interested businesses.

The twist now is that donors who want the best players at their alma maters are getting involved, making bold promises in a clear bid to attract attention from recruits weighing their options.

More than a dozen "collectives" have sprung up around major college programs like Ohio State, Penn State, Washington, Tennessee and others to connect athletes with marketing opportunities.

At Texas, two new initiatives launched with the promise of big money just two weeks before signing day.

Clark Field Collective, which is officially unaffiliated with the school, claims it already has $10 million pledged to support NIL deals for Longhorns athletes. Days later, a new nonprofit called Horns With Heart said it would pay $50,000 annually to Longhorns offensive linemen for work supporting community charities.

The Clark Field group said its board of directors includes former NBA star T.J. Ford and former NFL player Kenny Vaccaro, two Texas alumni.

"The University of Texas at Austin maintains the largest, wealthiest alumni donor base in the entire country," Clark Field Collective CEO Nick Shuley said. "It's time a network like this existed to support our college athletes."

Horns With Heart is a new kind of player in the athlete compensation field and it drew almost immediate outrage from rival fan bases amid larger questions about NIL's role as a recruiting enticement.

Horns With Heart was annnounced as Texas coach Steve Sarkisian was publicly pursuing offensive line recruits; he called the position a critical need after a disappointing 5-7 season. Within days, he scored two big commitments from blue chip players.

Rob Blair, one of the founders of Horns With Heart, said his organization doesn't cross any lines.

"Pay for play is a deal breaker under NIL," Blair said. "This isn't pay for play. This is for actual charitable work."

The nonprofit aims to start its $50,000 payments to offensive linemen in August 2022 with a max of $800,000 per year for the entire unit. For a five-year player, that could mean $250,000 over their college career.

Blair said the required charity work could be in-person appearances, promotion or representation, but the work has to be done to get paid.

"This organization was started for purely altruistic means," Blair said.

It did raise some eyebrows among charity watchdogs.

"Hard to see the charitable purpose when the unifying feature is paying athletes for sponsor deals. It's certainly a unique take on NIL arrangements," said Brian Mittendorf, an accounting professor at Ohio State's Fisher College of Business with a focus on nonprofits.

"The way it's packaged, it comes across more as a way to support the athletes as opposed to a way to achieve a charitable objective," Mittendorf said.

According to documents filed with the Texas Secretary of State, Horns With Heart has six founding directors. Several are Texas graduates.

Blair, a sales director for a shipping company, and Rick Vasquez, an executive at a tech company, did not go to Texas. Blair went to Sam Houston State and Vasquez to Texas A&M, though he backs Longhorns athletics.

Blair said he has never been a financial donor to Texas, but supports Longhorns athletics to honor the memory of his dad, a walk-on offensive lineman in the 1960s. He and Vasquez also launched "Burnt Ends" a crowd-sourced NIL fund set up to benefit Longhorns tight ends.

Texas officials did not respond to requests for comment. Blair said his group has a "great working relationship" with school compliance officials.

NCAA President Mark Emmert said last week the NCAA has looked into several unidentified NIL agreements, but has so far found most schools are correctly following the guidelines that do exist.

Gabe Feldman, director of Tulane's sports law program, called the era of NIL deals an arms race for schools in the recruiting wars.

"There's not much to limit where these deals can go," Feldman said. "And so I think it's sort of a natural consequence that schools and boosters, athletes and agents and sponsors are going to find ways to exploit every opportunity they can, right?"

Nate Wood, associate athletic director for compliance at North Carolina, said he would like to see more efforts to educate athletes about contracts and business before they even get to college. In the early months of NIL, some athletes jumped at the prospect of getting paid.

"We've seen some really bad contracts come through, some really bad deals that no reasonable person would sign," Wood said. "But these student athletes were so excited that this was a new opportunity and there was money in their pocket right from the get go, they were willing to sign anything."

Feldman said schools should be watching to make sure athletes aren't taken advantage of.

"I think there are land mines all over the place here," he said. "It's only a matter time before we hear a story an athlete getting financially exploited."

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/...ns-being-pledged-to-college-athletes/2838989/

Last edited:
New Florida Bill Would Allow Schools to Facilitate NIL Deals
The bill, which was filed hours after Florida State lost its top recruit to Jackson State, would strike language that prohibited schools from “causing compensation to be directed” to athletes.
By Ross Dellenger | Dec 15, 2021

deion-sanders.webp

Jackson State pulled off one of the biggest recruiting coups in college football history on Wednesday under Deion Sanders.​

Chip LaMarca wants to clear the air once and for all.

LaMarca, the 53-year-old Florida state representative, filed a new bill Wednesday to amend the state’s name, image and likeness law making it easier for the Sunshine State’s schools to facilitate NIL deals for their athletes. But it did not come as a response, he says, to Florida State losing a high-profile recruit to Jackson State in one of the biggest stunners in the history of national signing day.

The timing was just coincidental. He’s been working on the new bill for nearly six months.

“I didn’t even realize it was national signing day,” LaMarca told SI in an interview on Wednesday night. “I saw the FSU stuff and thought, ‘Well this isn’t an FSU bill,’ but this is interesting!”

Jackson State, the historically black college in Jackson, Mississippi coached by former Florida State star Deion Sanders, made the biggest splash during Wednesday’s signing day. Sanders flipped Rivals’ No. 1-ranked recruit in the nation, cornerback Travis Hunter of Georgia, a move that sent shockwaves across America on the first signing period since college athletes could earn compensation from their name, image and likeness.

The timing of LaMarca’s bill, filed mere hours after Hunter’s news, added extra drama to an already splashy situation. But the genesis behind the new bill is much larger in scale, says LaMarca.

Players, coaches and administrators from Florida’s state universities have for months encouraged him and other legislators to amend portions of the state’s NIL law that puts them at a disadvantage when recruiting against other schools located in states with either no state law or a less restrictive state law.

LaMarca finally obliged. It just so happened to be filed on the biggest single recruiting day of the year and after the Seminoles experienced their stunning loss. In fact, LaMarca is asking himself what many are today: Why would the top-ranked prospect in the country choose Jackson State over FSU? He suggests that a future NIL deal may be in play for the 5-star defensive back, though he says he has no evidence to support that.

“What’s ironic, I’m both a Florida State and a Deion fan,” LaMarca said. “What is the reason to go from a program that was in the top-5 for 12 years straight with three national titles to a small HBCU in Mississippi?

“I’m assuming there is something in the works,” he continues. “There had to be some reason, or maybe he’s just a highly sought-after recruit and Deion is good at his job.”

Either way, NIL chatter ruled the opening day of the 72-hour early signing period. In fact, during news conferences and television spots on Wednesday, several coaches publicly revealed that NIL bidding wars for prospects are playing out across the country.

“I hope for these kids, they get all the money that they're being promised at all these schools when they get there,” Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin told reporters.

“There were a lot of NIL deals going on before all this was going on,” Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher said during a spot on Paul Finebaum’s show. “They just weren’t legal. Nobody told nobody.”

LaMarca’s new bill to amend his state’s NIL law must pass Florida’s two legislative chambers and be signed by the governor. The bill is more evidence of the expected NIL war transpiring in college sports. Every school is trying to gain the advantage in this new era and their state is more than willing to help them do it. Florida was one of the leaders in this endeavor.

In June 2020, it became the second state to pass an NIL bill, following California. The bill’s effective date, July 1, 2021, set the earliest timeline and put the NCAA on what turned out to be a failed deadline to create an NIL policy. Dozens of states had created NIL laws to give their schools an advantage over whatever policy the NCAA created. When the organization didn’t create a policy—mostly because of a Supreme Court ruling that stripped its authority—suddenly those states with laws were at a disadvantage.

Thirty-five states have passed NIL laws, about 19 of which have become law. Schools residing in states without an NIL law only needed to follow a small set of guidelines the NCAA released. However, the association, so hamstrung with legal issues, has failed to police or enforce much of anything, creating what administrators term a “wild west.” NCAA president Mark Emmert did reveal last week that the organization has opened investigations into “a number” of NIL deals.

The NIL bidding war is playing out with transfers as well, says Todd Berry, the executive director of the American Football Coaches Association.

“Your whole football team is out there [in the portal] for whoever wants to pay the most money,” Berry says. “We knew this was going to be a problem. This is a complete mess.”

In all likelihood, states will follow Florida’s lead, adjusting language in their NIL laws to create advantages for their state schools. Florida’s amended bill, if passed, will allow schools more freedom to facilitate and discuss NIL deals with current athletes. The new bill strikes language in the original bill that prohibited schools from “causing compensation to be directed” to athletes.

“We had some real guardrails to keep folks in between the lines, but when the NCAA vacated NIL, it made other states more competitive than Florida,” LaMarca says. “We started hearing from athletes and lots of folks in the space ‘Look, we are at a disadvantage!’

“What it really came down to is an athlete couldn’t speak to the AD or coach about something. A lot of them, those are their mentors,” LaMarca continues. “If those coaches or ADs have something that comes to them or even if they want to reach out to their star athlete, they can’t even make that connection. If there’s something that is keeping a deal from happening we want to make sure that happens for them.”

This has impacted recruiting for his state’s schools, LaMarca says, even resulting in Florida athletes leaving the state for more lucrative NIL deals in other states.

Like the NCAA and others, LaMarca believes a federal bill is needed to govern NIL and bring equality to the landscape. However, he does not expect serious movement on that in Congress until after next year’s midterm elections.

In the meantime, the unequal NIL recruiting marches forward.

“Anything we do through the legislative process in creating parameters and guardrails is better than handing someone a bag of cash,” LaMarca says. “At least there is a legal, taxable and compliant bound solution for athletes to get what is rightfully there.”

https://www.si.com/college/2021/12/16/new-florida-nil-bill-schools-power

Glad to see athletes finally getting their piece of the pie.

Yes, finally the most underpaid profession in the world is finally getting their dust dues. Those poor underpaid professional athletes.

Yes, finally the most underpaid profession in the world is finally getting their dust dues. Those poor underpaid professional athletes.

Shut the fuck up and learn how to read. This thread has nothing to do with professional athletes.

So.... just fuck the small market schools in the Pac12 right?

#FireLarryScott

In related news, both UCLA and USC are leaving the Pac-12 for the Big Ten.

It's official: USC, UCLA to leave Pac-12 and join Big Ten in 2024

USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac-12 for the Big Ten in 2024, the schools and conference announced Thursday.

Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News first reported the universities were in talks of joining the Big Ten.

The move, slated for Aug. 2, 2024 for the two Los Angeles-based universities, comes on the heels of Texas and Oklahoma leaving the Big 12 for the SEC. It is the latest shakeup in the world of college athletics, which has been undergoing a massive transformation in the past few years. Texas and Oklahoma will officially join the SEC no later than 2025. The departures of Texas and Oklahoma spurred the Big 12 to add BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF. Those schools will officially become Big 12 members in July 2023.

In addition to prominent schools switching conferences, the one-time transfer rule passed and name, image and likeness (NIL) payments are now permitted for athletes.

"Ultimately, the Big Ten is the best home for USC and Trojan athletics as we move into the new world of collegiate sports," USC athletic director Mike Bohn said in a statement. "We are excited that our values align with the league's member institutions."

The loss of USC and UCLA is a massive blow for the Pac-12, and it further distances the Big Ten and SEC from the rest of the FBS conferences, particularly on a financial level.

The Big Ten is currently negotiating its next media rights deal, which could be worth billions. The league's existing deals with ESPN and Fox run through the 2022-23 academic year.

The Pac-12 distributed $344 million among its members in the 2021 fiscal year. For the Big Ten, it was $680 million.

The Los Angeles media market is one of the largest in the country and the USC and UCLA brands are attractive ones for viewers. With USC and UCLA in the fold, the Big Ten would extend its traditionally Midwest reach to the West Coast.

USC and UCLA brings the Big Ten to 16 members, the same number that the SEC will have once Texas and Oklahoma officially join the league. And according to USA Today, the Big Ten could look to expand even further.

How will the Pac-12 respond? The conference added Colorado and Utah in 2011 and has had consistent membership since. But the Pac-12 has not had a team reach the College Football Playoff since Washington in 2016.

https://sports.yahoo.com/reports-usc-ucla-planning-to-leave-pac-12-for-big-ten-174647901.html

Back