Pay comparison between of yesterday’s UFC main event winner and boxing’s B side winner.

There has to be enough money in the Market for Other Orgs to compete and any type of Valid Bid system to ever work.
How many sports or industries do you know where one company has say, 50 percent of the talent locked in? That's what the UFC has for top 15 fighters in most divisions, and those are the valuable fighters economically. That combined with the lack of real free agency and the UFC's monopsony power make it really hard to get promotions started or growing these days.

How many sports or industries do you know where one company has say, 50 percent of the talent locked in? That's what the UFC has for top 15 fighters in most divisions, and those are the valuable fighters economically. That combined with the lack of real free agency and the UFC's monopsony power make it really hard to get promotions started or growing these days.

Yup and that Bubble needs to burst - It just won't for a long time from what I've read and seen.

This topic is one with volumes of statistics scattered throughout various threads.

Yup and that Bubble needs to burst - It just won't for a long time from what I've read and seen.

This topic is one with volumes of statistics scattered throughout various threads.
Yeah, pretty much, unless a promotion is willing to run massive losses for several years, it ain't happening since even if fighters fight out their contracts, it's not all at the same time.

SJW's aren't supposed to be MMA fans

Please go the other way

Or at least do some research and think about the implications

When people sign contracts, they sign it knowing what to expect.
If they don't like what is offered, they can simply NOT sign it.
They can even leave the sport and pursue boxing. Volk seems really happy. Why are you maggots so angry about a man who is so happy?

I hope it stays how it is. It would be nice for the fighters to get paid more, but the UFC's model is better for the fans as we always get to see the top guys fight each other. The way boxing is kind of sucks. Jousha should have fought Wilder or Fury 4 years ago, and even if these fights do happen now the it's not what it could have been.

There are too many Showcase fight and it always takes too long for the best to fight the best. It took forever for Manny to fight Floyd and we will probably never see Spence vs Crawford. There are a million belts and hardly ever anybody that ever unifies them.

Do you remember before the UFC absorbed the talent from Pride, Strikeforce, Affliction, WEC, WFA, and the IFL? There were too many unanswered questions and it was great to finally see the top talent from all over face each other. It's not my business to worry about somebody else's paycheck anyway. Besides nobody is forcing any of these people to fight.

I hope it stays how it is. It would be nice for the fighters to get paid more, but the UFC's model is better for the fans as we always get to see the top guys fight each other. The way boxing is kind of sucks. Jousha should have fought Wilder or Fury 4 years ago, and even if these fights do happen now the it's not what it could have been.

There are too many Showcase fight and it always takes too long for the best to fight the best. It took forever for Manny to fight Floyd and we will probably never see Spence vs Crawford. There are a million belts and hardly ever anybody that ever unifies them.

Do you remember before the UFC absorbed the talent from Pride, Strikeforce, Affliction, WEC, WFA, and the IFL? There were too many unanswered questions and it was great to finally see the top talent from all over face each other. It's not my business to worry about somebody else's paycheck anyway. Besides nobody is forcing any of these people to fight.

I do agree and remember well... But I also think that there is a host of deserving talent out there with fights I would like to see matched up. The way it is now It's unlikely I'll see them unless folks get contracts or get cut..

The game is cyclic I guess but as long as I get enough of the fights I want I'm happy. I'm not one of the displeased, though I do gripe a bit bout not seeing X vs Y.

I hope it stays how it is. It would be nice for the fighters to get paid more, but the UFC's model is better for the fans as we always get to see the top guys fight each other.
Exactly, I remember how I got to watch legendary superfights like GSP-Silva, Fedor-Brock, Fedor-Couture, and Jones-Ngannou. Ahhh yes. Meanwhile, I never got to see Canelo-GGG in boxing, or Uysk-AJ.

Glass houses man, both models have flaws.
here were too many unanswered questions and it was great to finally see the top talent from all over face each other
This is because mma fans give promoters a pass for not cross promoting. Meanwhile, promoters in boxing get chewed out for not making super fights happen or refusing to work together.

This is insignificant. The UFC isn't spending 10s of millions hiring personal to get into India or Africa or dumping that money into lobbying. We know how much the UFC spend on lobbying, it ain't much, and it's more often targeted at reducing regulations.

How's Mexico doing these days lol. Also the UFC exposing itself to and educating a new market is signing a broadcast deal. That isn't an expense, that's revenue.

They just built a 93,000 ft² training facility in Shanghai to develop new talent in Asia. It's three times the size of the performance institute in Vegas. So yes, they are spending millions on international development.

https://amp.scmp.com/sport/martial-.../ufc-performance-institute-shanghai-take-look

And a broadcast deal is meaningless If no one in that market knows what your sport is, who the stars are, how it works, what the rules are, or why they should care. You don't just "get" a broadcast deal.

Also regulatory work needs to be done in places you're not planning on holding a card anytime soon. The UFC spend a decade trying to break into New York They had to grease every palm in the state senate and even then they had to wait for one of their primary hurdles to disappear in a scandal. How much easier and less expensive do you imagine it is doing it on a national level in other countries or you don't even know the rules of the road.

Lastly Mexico's doing all right. They just crowned the first ever Mexican born champ who met with the president of Mexico. So I'd say their past investments are paying some pretty decent dividends at the moment. You can't ask for a whole lot more than a photo op with the president holding the belt. With some luck, a few title defenses, continued marketing, and the right broadcast partner you could see Mexico becoming a real talent and consumer market in coming years.

https://ouresquina.com/2021/champ-brandon-moreno-opens-mexico-for-ufc/

Time will tell with all of these things because the UFC is hundreds of regional champions and decades behind boxing in recognition.

They just built a 93,000 ft² training facility in Shanghai to develop new talent in Asia. It's three times the size of the performance institute in Vegas. So yes, they are spending millions on international development.

https://amp.scmp.com/sport/martial-.../ufc-performance-institute-shanghai-take-look

And a broadcast deal is meaningless If no one in that market knows what your sport is, who the stars are, how it works, what the rules are, or why they should care. You don't just "get" a broadcast deal.

Also regulatory work needs to be done in places you're not planning on holding a card anytime soon. The UFC spend a decade trying to break into New York They had to grease every palm in the state senate and even then they had to wait for one of their primary hurdles to disappear in a scandal. How much easier and less expensive do you imagine it is doing it on a national level in other countries or you don't even know the rules of the road.

Lastly Mexico's doing all right. They just crowned the first ever Mexican born champ who met with the president of Mexico. So I'd say their past investments are paying some pretty decent dividends at the moment. You can't ask for a whole lot more than a photo op with the president holding the belt. With some luck, a few title defenses, continued marketing, and the right broadcast partner you could see Mexico becoming a real talent and consumer market in coming years.

https://ouresquina.com/2021/champ-brandon-moreno-opens-mexico-for-ufc/

Time will tell with all of these things because the UFC is hundreds of regional champions and decades behind boxing in recognition.

<{RoseRun}>

Exactly, I remember how I got to watch legendary superfights like GSP-Silva, Fedor-Brock, Fedor-Couture, and Jones-Ngannou. Ahhh yes. Meanwhile, I never got to see Canelo-GGG in boxing, or Uysk-AJ.

Glass houses man, both models have flaws.

GSP and Silva were two different weight classes. It would have been cool to see, but it's not something that had to happen.

Ngannou Jones is more than likely going to happen. Jones said so himself.

Fedor not coming to the UFC was unfortunate, but their demands were a little ridiculous.

Yes there are fights that don't happen sometimes, but 99% of the time we get to see the fights that should be happening. They also have better match making. There are too many squash matches in boxing.

All of MMA's lineal champions are in the UFC as well. I follow both sports, but from a fans perspective the UFC's model is far superior imo.

It cost $13 million. That's pocket change for the UFC in the grand scheme.
The UFC spend a decade trying to break into New York They had to grease every palm in the state senate and even then they had to wait for one of their primary hurdles to disappear in a scandal. How much easier and less expensive do you imagine it is doing it on a national level in other countries or you don't even know the rules of the road.
Again, that kind of lobbying is cheap. It's not eating up 10s of millions annually for the UFC. They spent only $19 million on legal, lobbying, consulting and facilities in 2015. Breaking into NY cost maybe mid 7 figures. Not to mention the entire reason the UFC couldn't get into NY was because the Fertitas had to be shitbags and piss off unions.
With some luck, a few title defenses, continued marketing, and the right broadcast partner you could see Mexico becoming a real talent and consumer market in coming years.
Hopefully. The UFC however has shown a powerful ability to fuck up the FLW division in years past so I wouldn't be so sure. The fact that they didn't sign the Gooch isn't encouraging on that front.
How much easier and less expensive do you imagine it is doing it on a national level in other countries or you don't even know the rules of the road.
To be blunt, probably cheaper, potentially easier. Money goes farther in other parts of the world.

Terrible comparison.

Despite being the main event, Volkanovski wasn't even in the biggest draw/fight of the card or the "B" side.

Check the fighter vlog views with Diaz featured

Check the countdown views for Diaz/Lawler compared to the other two

Check the octagon interview views

Check the IG followers

Check who got the most questions at the press conference and buzz from the crowd.

I'm not saying Volk shouldn't be paid but Diaz was unquestionably the main draw of the card.

Last edited:
Heavyweights in the UFC also make much more than featherweights though.

Not saying Volk isn't underpaid, but naturally people are going to get paid in a HW title fight. Especially when you were the dominant cruiserweight champ moving up for what is essentially a super fight.
Ngannou makes less than many top badminton and ping pong players

So Joshua just made 500k then according to that tweet.

I call absolute bullshit. Who the fuck is Patrick Auger?

Anthony Joshua is the pull here, hes been champion for years and is a heavyweight, the weight class most people casual fans care about. This is like saying someone fighting Conor got paid more than Volk. Well thank you mr obivous.

Crazy to think about Usyk who is a relative unknown to casuals made over 4 million to beat on AJ while Volk went through a war and won’t even come close to numbers like that.

I think the AJ PPV would have sold a lot better than the UFC too.

This pay comparison between Boxing and MMA is stupid. Done 100's of times.

Usyk may be a relative unknown to casuals, but to boxing fans he is well known. He held 5 cruiserweight titles prior to fighting AJ. AJ is a very well known HW who held 4 titles. Boxing fans knew this was going to be a tough match up for Joshua.

Usyk vs. AJ was a much larger fight in comparison to Volk vs. Ortega. Much more on the line too.

Boxing vs UFC pay..jpg

Crazy to think about Usyk who is a relative unknown to casuals made over 4 million to beat on AJ while Volk went through a war and won’t even come close to numbers like that.

Basically you're comparing apples and giraffes but okay

Back