Pay comparison between of yesterday’s UFC main event winner and boxing’s B side winner.

Heavyweights in the UFC also make much more than featherweights though.

Not saying Volk isn't underpaid, but naturally people are going to get paid in a HW title fight. Especially when you were the dominant cruiserweight champ moving up for what is essentially a super fight.

Also years and years between the sports...

let-it-go-frozen.gif

Well, while I agree with you, Boxing pays the top of the card a lot more, btu then again, Boxing has been at it for hundreds of years.
MMA is just starting.
As one fighter said once (forgot who it was), fighters won't join forces even if it is to revendicate getting paid more... which is sad, because obviously UFC abuses this fact..

but I am sure the sport will change at some point.

Heavyweights in the UFC also make much more than featherweights though.

Not saying Volk isn't underpaid, but naturally people are going to get paid in a HW title fight. Especially when you were the dominant cruiserweight champ moving up for what is essentially a super fight.
When's the last time a UFC HW who wasn't named Brock Lesnar got paid $4 million. I'm not even sure any UFC HW since has made that money.
Also years and years between the sports...

let-it-go-frozen.gif
How does that affect pay or wage share? There are boxers from before WWII pulling bigger purses than UFC champs.

Same question as above, what does this have to do with wage share? What start up costs are the UFC paying out that boxing doesn't in the 21st century?

See above...

Average it across the board year by year by org by total revenue vs payout vs invested.

Then I may care. Otherwise it's an ongoing ridiculous topic that has been beaten more than any dead horse...
Define invested.

You won't fight great data on run of the mill smokers and such but you'll find more than one superfight equivalent from the early 20s of boxers pulling 50 percent or more of event revenue.
Thank you. For some reason this is never brought up
How does this affect wage share, which has actually been declining over the past decade.

How does this affect wage share, which has actually been declining over the past decade.

I mean don't get me wrong. I more than feel MMA fighters deserve a greater share of the revenue. I just know that my knowledge of all the factors involved is limited. I also know that without years and sweeping changes it's gonna stay pretty stagnant. Too few available contracts and thousands willing to take the lowest bid to get them.

We are saturated (Orgs) and weekly I watch fighters pine for the UFC call.

Define invested.

Maybe allocated was a better word (but kinda inclusive)

We know a huge share goes to the Endevor dept. Then Shareholders, then projects, etc. Part of this opens venues for fighters to make more money (social media, those NFT cards, etc). Still the big funnel is obv the 1st two but that's what I see.

IG followers comparison
Usyk: 1.4M while his opponent A.J has 12.9M followers
Volk: 450k while his opponent TCity has 876k followers

Now if you crunch a few numbers, do a little bit of calculus and a sprinkle of trigonometry, you'll see that the numbers favour boxing in every aspect. hell they had 70k in attendance in UK, what was UFCs attendance?

Also it'll be interesting to compare the 2 ppv sales since they're on the same day.

Last edited:
I just know that my knowledge of all the factors involved is limited. I
Most of their financials are public. Put it this way, the UFC is on track this year to have lower expenses in absolute terms, without adjustment for inflation, than 2015, even while revenue has skyrocketed. Does that scream investment in the fighters or sport?
Too few available contracts and thousands willing to take the lowest bid to get them.
I wouldn't say necessarily too few contracts. More just a very dysfunctional market due to lack of competition for various reasons.
Part of this opens venues for fighters to make more money (social media, those NFT cards, etc)
I can't really see this being a huge win. WME execs could probably name 10 fighters on a roster with several hundred. They don't give a shit. It's classic, well, we are skimming a lot of money from you guys (sponsors, shit pay, etc.), but hey, here's a small bit of pocket change that doesn't come close to making up for the money we are taking away from fighters.

I'd wager if you polled a bunch of fighters and asked if they wanted the option to have their own sponsors versus WME giving a few of them ins into show business, most would want the former.

Define invested.

You won't fight great data on run of the mill smokers and such but you'll find more than one superfight equivalent from the early 20s of boxers pulling 50 percent or more of event revenue.

If you do not understand the word "invested" then you are in no position to be discussing fighter pay or what an organization should be paying. You can't make up this kind of stupid!

Most of their financials are public. Put it this way, the UFC is on track this year to have lower expenses in absolute terms, without adjustment for inflation, than 2015, even while revenue has skyrocketed. Does that scream investment in the fighters or sport?

Well they have been referred to as an ATM for years and years.

I wouldn't say necessarily too few contracts. More just a very dysfunctional market due to lack of competition for various reasons.

Overall the MMA market cannot sustain high pay for the numbers out there. Many are aware how much talent is outside the UFC. All that is in UFC's pocket... They have the desired contracts and it's too few for what everyone wants to see happen. They have zero incentive to change a machine that works so well for them.

I'd wager if you polled a bunch of fighters and asked if they wanted the option to have their own sponsors versus WME giving a few of them ins

Yea - I'd like to see some harder #'s from various orgs on Sponsor pay. Like KSW with the advertising tattoos (temp), etc. I dig a little here and there but most comes from reading the previous regurgitations of this topic.

Crazy to think about Usyk who is a relative unknown to casuals made over 4 million to beat on AJ while Volk went through a war and won’t even come close to numbers like that.

Usyk is far more recognisable around the world than volk. And I’m surprised he only earned 4m. My guess is that’s a little low

I'm the Boxer is getting more, but we don't know what Volk actually gets paid... the disclosed numbers don't mean anything

Back