Pawing jab

Marbig

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know the pawing jab is covered in the stickied thread 'Magical Jabs' but there is only one paragraph of information about it there and I couldn't really see how it was done in the video (too fast). Does anyone have a step by step breakdown?

So far, I can only come to the conclusion that it is a quick jab in where the elbow is flared out (chicken wing style).

No, that's not it.
IMO it is execute like a usual jab. But instead of dealing damage like usual, it is use to obscure the opp's vision. Sometimes it can be fast like McCallum's vid, or sometimes it is slow (like how i use it). The main thing about it is that you use it in high volume in order to set up attack from it. Like in between the pawing jab you can set up harder jab, or a cross, or a combination right off of it. If you use it properly like McCallum, the opp wont see where the hard punched are coming from.

A "pawing jab" is not a type of jab technique. It is simply a description of any jab where the intent is to continually obscure your opponent's vision and give you an easy target for a cross. Where a cross can be a difficult punch to land, you should always be able to hit your other hand, yes? So it goes to reason that if you keep your lead hand in your opponent's face, you should also be able to hit them with your power hand.

Your stance will dictate your jabbing technique. Your intent will dictate your power. Your ability will dictate your speed, which should always be quick. Pawing does not = lazy jab. Lazy jab = knock me out please. Do not ever, ever, ever throw a slow jab. Ever.

Nuclearlandmine is very correct in his assertions, but should also be cautioned away from the slow jab, as it will always be an invitation to disaster. You may let your hand linger in your opponents face, but if you linger in getting it there, you will discover sooner or later an opponent who does not.

pawing isnt only used crowd vision. Theres a lot of other reasons why people paw their jabs out

When i said slow per se, i was refering it comparatively to my normal jab. But i agree with you. As a southpaw i use the jab as a combination tool: range finder, rhythm disruptor, and to obscure the opp's sight. I can use it pretty much at will vs orthodox because of the open guard scenario. When sparring, i constantly pawing my jab out to the other guy's lead hand, to set ups stuffs like a cross or handfighting, or just mess with the other guy's timing. Of course when it time vs southpaw, i will have to change it up.

For its use in MMA, watch the first round of Silva vs Okami rematch.

Back