Pavlik water-cooler talk

Seano, you're smarter than this.

Suppose I go on a thread about David Haye and say, "Ya'll just root for him because he's half black and you don't like seeing Russian men with heavyweight belts. But Haye's hype will end when he gets brutally KO'd by the first good HW he sees. I wonder if you'll still be fans."*

Should I be surprised by a negative reaction? Even if I soften my tone afterwards?

*Note: this statement does not reflect my actual views. Admittedly, I'm not Haye's biggest fan, but I think he'll do very well in the HW division. Also, I don't assume David's supporters share his views about Russian fighters

Suppose I go on a thread about David Haye and say, "Ya'll just root for him because he's half black and you don't like seeing Russian men with heavyweight belts. But Haye's hype will end when he gets brutally KO'd by the first good HW he sees. I wonder if you'll still be fans."*

I did not say we like Pavlik because hes white. I said that is what people will say when he loses. Its already been said by many.

Stop trying to make it sound like I'm some sort of racist.

He's not a defensice mastermind but some guys have good, long lasting chins. You cant just assume his chin is going to fail him. Abraham is a good body puncher and if he beats Miranda I would be interested in seeing that match up. I hope Abraham looks good against Miranda. If Abraham loses or the fight is close it might be hard to justify a Pavlik/Miranda fight in terms of promotion.

Back to the discussion about Pavlik.

Pavlik was in big trouble versus Taylor, so his chin may not be what everyone thinks it is.

People forget because Taylor had a good fight with Pavlik, but he wasn't all that respected especially on this site.

All I kept hearing was "Well he couldn't KO, Winky or Hopkins or Ouma or Spinks." He never even had any of those fighters hurt.

But somehow he hurt Pavlik BADLY in their first fight.

That one fight shows that Pavlik can not depend on his chin.

Personally, I don't thnk Abraham will beat Pavlik. Miranda beat ass on Abraham, in a fight that ,IMO, would have been stopped anywhere but Abrahams backyard.

I did not say we like Pavlik because hes white. I said that is what people will say when he loses. Its already been said by many.

Stop trying to make it sound like I'm some sort of racist.

I'm not suggesting that you're racist. I'm suggesting that some of Kelly's fans interpreted your remarks as implying that they were racist. That's why they became irritated.

Anyway, I'm moving on. The last reply on this issue is yours if you want it.

All I kept hearing was "Well he couldn't KO, Winky or Hopkins or Ouma or Spinks." He never even had any of those fighters hurt.

But somehow he hurt Pavlik BADLY in their first fight.

That one fight shows that Pavlik can not depend on his chin.

Yes, and part of the knockdown was due to Kelly's stupidity. If Pavlik deliberately puts his hands down again then he'll be in trouble. Taylor landed a lot of flush bombs on his chin in that round.

Yes, and part of the knockdown was due to Kelly's stupidity. If Pavlik deliberately puts his hands down again then he'll be in trouble. Taylor landed a lot of flush bombs on his chin in that round.

Part of that knockdown was also Taylors fist connecting with Pavliks head.

Pavlik is Pavlik, hes had 30 + fights, I doubt hes making many adjustments.

Pavlik has done well because fighters so far haven't been able to handle his busy offense. His defense is lacking ,IMO. Like when he fought Miranda. That fight could have gone either way. Pavlik atemany punches there. Miranda was just the one who couldn't hack it.

I don't believe in chins. A fighter being known for his chin is the same as being known for getting hit alot.

It'll take someone of mention to dethrone Pavlik at this point. Calzaghe, Hopkins, Wright perhaps. All HoF first ballot fighters. Sometimes being GIGANTIC for a weight class and fighting a busy style get's fans. Look at Paul Williams.

I'm more optimistic about the adjustments Pavlik can make. When he gets hurt, he can do a better job of tying his opponents up. Maybe he needs to train like Fedor and spar after spinning in circles. At any rate, many fighters have learned how to hold (some all to well) throughout their careers.

I don't see Kelly showboating again like he did in R2; he's learned that lesson at least.

Won't ever happen.
But I'd like to see Pavlik fight Allen Green.
Not a big name right now (Green) and too much risk. Green's a tall guy and he punches pretty straight as well.
I know his chin got tapped here and there, but I think (assuming he's 100% healthy) he'll be a force.

Won't ever happen.
But I'd like to see Pavlik fight Allen Green.
Not a big name right now (Green) and too much risk. Green's a tall guy and he punches pretty straight as well.
I know his chin got tapped here and there, but I think (assuming he's 100% healthy) he'll be a force.

Funny thing about the showboating, his corner/dad was expecting it. Maybe its something he does when he gets too comfortable.

Funny thing about the showboating, his corner/dad was expecting it. Maybe its something he does when he gets too comfortable.

Are you talking about Green v McCrary?
In regards to Green getting clipped? I don't think he was showboating too much.
I think he was just getting lazy.

Are you talking about Green v McCrary?
In regards to Green getting clipped? I don't think he was showboating too much.
I think he was just getting lazy.

No, I misread, I thought you meant the showboating in Pavlik/Taylor.

No, I misread, I thought you meant the showboating in Pavlik/Taylor.

Looks like a jessup was mentioning Pavlik's showboating.

Yeah, that was fucking stupid of him. I was in Chicago (1 year anniversary) watching that fight when I saw that I was laughing like an idiot. I was sure that match was over.

I understand where you're coming from about the constant mention of Pavlik's Youngstown background, but to me, thats typical HBO. How many times have you heard that Oscar was from the hood in East LA, had a love/hate relationship with his demanding father, and that he promised his dying mother he'd win the gold for her? Or that Hopkins is from the mean streets of philly and honed his "throwback" craft in the gyms there? Or that any fighter from Puerto Rico is continuing the tradition of great fighters from this small island, and the people there worship him?

Par for the course IMO.

I understand where you're coming from about the constant mention on Pavlik's Youngstown background, but to me, thats typical HBO. How many times have you heard that Oscar was from the hood in East LA, had a love/hate relationship with his demanding father, and that he promised his dying mother he'd win the gold for her? Or that Hopkins is from the mean streets of philly and honed his "throwback" craft in the gyms there? Or that any fighter from Puerto Rico is continuing the tradition of great fighters from this small island, and the people there worship him?

Par for the course IMO.

that is the reason why boxing is so appealing. they are the most fascinating athletes on the planet. overcoming the odds and becoming a champ, thats what america is all about. golfers, tennis players, hockey players, are boring and i dont care to hear about their personal life, but if you mention youngstown, the steel mills and some delapitated old gym at the end of the street, im all ears.

No complaints here either, I've always enjoyed the prefight stories on the fighters backgrounds. Good way to set the mood for the fight if you ask me.

Hot soup, MCPB? It's still summer, too hot!

Also, Pavlik is the man, will always be one of my all time favorites. Kind of sad that he retired since I think he still had a few years left to get some good wins under his belt. Heard he's well off financially and can't blame the guy for wanting to stay healthy.

Hot soup, MCPB? It's still summer, too hot!

Also, Pavlik is the man, will always be one of my all time favorites. Kind of sad that he retired since I think he still had a few years left to get some good wins under his belt. Heard he's well off financially and can't blame the guy for wanting to stay healthy.

Fine....

Come on up to Milwaukee. We'll go to BaskinRobbins and get some ice cream.

Who wants to join us for BluntTrauma's and Barman's 1st Annual Ice Cream Gettin' It Hoedown?

Back