Pavlik vs Calzaghe Dream Match Up - Predictions

I guess I would have to go with Calzaghe but wouldn't be shocked if Pavlik won. Calzaghe is getting old and that isn't good against a brilliant puncher. Calzaghe is still damn fast though and he is so good at throwing combos and then moving or grabbing. I guess Calzaghe by close decison but would love to see it.

Hold your horses. First, lets see if Joe can beat Hopkins.

If Pavlik can take the best shots from a determined and pissed-off Jermaine Taylor and come back, I don't see him getting rocked and mentally phased the way I think Kessler did. Kessler looked beat mentally by round 6. Hard one to call, as I see JC by UD. Would be a great fight, and would really say a lot about Joe if he made it happened.

Alot about Joe if he made it happen lol??? I don't see how Pavlik would be a bigger fight than Hopkins is going to be.
Why would it say alot about Joe, Who's world class that Pavlik's fought besides Taylor? People seem to forget that Jermaine was dominating the first fight until he got caught by Pavlik.

Pavlik has alot more to prove than Calzaghe so I think it would be a tester for him that Joe would win.

And your saying Taylor Hits harder than Calzaghe lmao!

Alot about Joe if he made it happen lol??? I don't see how Pavlik would be a bigger fight than Hopkins is going to be.
Why would it say alot about Joe, Who's world class that Pavlik's fought besides Taylor? People seem to forget that Jermaine was dominating the first fight until he got caught by Pavlik.

Pavlik has alot more to prove than Calzaghe so I think it would be a tester for him that Joe would win.

And your saying Taylor Hits harder than Calzaghe lmao!

Pavlik is a current champ, he is at or near his prime, and he is undefeated. Hopkins is past his prime, has some current losses, and is out of his natural weight class. That is why it would be a bigger fight to the casual fans, but to hardcore boxing fans, yes, Hopkins is the bigger matchup

Jermaine wasn't dominating the first fight, but he was winning. Pavlik completely derailed him, he didn't just "catch" him. He got up off of the floor and used dirty some effective dirty boxing to survive the 2nd round. Pavlik actually out-fought Taylor the rest of the fight because he survived the 2nd and started landing to the head and body. He was beating on Taylor pretty good until he placed that right hand that hurt him badly.

But I agree that Joe would most likely win. Pavlik would be moving up weight and calibre of opponent. Joe is a fast and plentiful puncher, but Pavlik has the tools to disturb his offense. Pavlik likes to use calculated pressure, but Joe is a natural counter puncher. I think Pavlik could win this one if he is consistantly landing the 1-2, more specifically the right hand.

Joe would be a good test to Pavlik's chin. Joe has the advantage in opposition and experience, too.

My call would be Joe by a UD, or a Pavlik TKO in the 9th.

I really like kelly pavlik, one of my fav fighters. but i think calzaghe is a superior fighter so i got to give it to joe

Pavlik is a current champ, he is at or near his prime, and he is undefeated. Hopkins is past his prime, has some current losses, and is out of his natural weight class. That is why it would be a bigger fight to the casual fans, but to hardcore boxing fans, yes, Hopkins is the bigger matchup

Jermaine wasn't dominating the first fight, but he was winning. Pavlik completely derailed him, he didn't just "catch" him. He got up off of the floor and used dirty some effective dirty boxing to survive the 2nd round. Pavlik actually out-fought Taylor the rest of the fight because he survived the 2nd and started landing to the head and body. He was beating on Taylor pretty good until he placed that right hand that hurt him badly.

But I agree that Joe would most likely win. Pavlik would be moving up weight and calibre of opponent. Joe is a fast and plentiful puncher, but Pavlik has the tools to disturb his offense. Pavlik likes to use calculated pressure, but Joe is a natural counter puncher. I think Pavlik could win this one if he is consistantly landing the 1-2, more specifically the right hand.

Joe would be a good test to Pavlik's chin. Joe has the advantage in opposition and experience, too.

My call would be Joe by a UD, or a Pavlik TKO in the 9th.

I don't believe what you are saying, Surely Pavlik is the fight that would attract the casual fan more, He's fough Taylor twice and he did just catch him, Its pretty easy to finish someone who refused to go down. If taylor would have just taken a knee after some of the punches instead of staying up then he could have took the count and won imo. The second time they fought Taylor just wasnt the same.

Pavlik is the fight the more casual fans would want to see IMO because he has gained so many nuthuggers for 2 wins over Jermaine Taylor and everyone reckons he is god!
Hopkins on the other hand for the hardcore fans who watched him all his career, IMO poses a greater threat to Joe. Thats the fight I'd like to see more as Pavlik is untested really and I think that Joe would KO or Decision him easily.

You can't honestly tell me that if Hopkins and Kelly had a catch-weight fight tomorrow you would take Pavlik!

I think Pavlik/Hopkins would actually make for the more interesting fight.

I don't believe what you are saying, Surely Pavlik is the fight that would attract the casual fan more, He's fough Taylor twice and he did just catch him, Its pretty easy to finish someone who refused to go down. If taylor would have just taken a knee after some of the punches instead of staying up then he could have took the count and won imo. The second time they fought Taylor just wasnt the same.

Pavlik is the fight the more casual fans would want to see IMO because he has gained so many nuthuggers for 2 wins over Jermaine Taylor and everyone reckons he is god!
Hopkins on the other hand for the hardcore fans who watched him all his career, IMO poses a greater threat to Joe. Thats the fight I'd like to see more as Pavlik is untested really and I think that Joe would KO or Decision him easily.

You can't honestly tell me that if Hopkins and Kelly had a catch-weight fight tomorrow you would take Pavlik!

I think you are dis-crediting Pavlik's accomplishments in your quest to aggrandize those of Calzaghe.

Certainly, Calzaghe is the more accomplished fighter at this point and has established himself as the king of his division. He would also be a clear favorite in a match up against Pavlik.

Pavlik's rise through the middleweight division and subsequent victories over the recognized middleweight champion has earned him plenty of fans, and justifiably so. He is not an unproven fighter, and he is not hype. He is a young fighter who has already accomplished quite a bit, and the way in which he wins earns him a lot of fans.

Calzaghe by UD or middle to late rd. tko. The flip side is Pavlik could win by ko/tko. I thin Joe takes this one though 9/10 times.

You didn't read my post well. I said very clearly in the opening paragraph that the fight current fans would like to see is Pavlik/Calzaghe. Then, I said for more hardcore fans want Hopkins/Calzaghe.

We will set aside our views of the Pavlik/Taylor fights because that isn't the objective of discussion in this thread.

Of course I wouldn't pick Pavlik over Hopkins. First, styles make fights and B-Hop has a great style to fight Pavlik effectively with. Calzaghe, on the other hand, isn't as large of a threat to Pavlik style-wise. Pavlik actually has a style advantage over Calzaghe. Joe has some natural advantages though, so it would be a tough fight for Pavlik...

Calzaghe by UD or middle to late rd. tko. The flip side is Pavlik could win by ko/tko. I thin Joe takes this one though 9/10 times.

Pavlik could win by decision. His progressive classic style is not easy to get around considering his lankyness

Im very proud of all the posters in this thread.

Everyone at least pretty much had a reasonable opinion, and nobody appeared to be talking out of their A$$. :icon_chee

I noticed that the majority of posts here are in agreement with each other.

Calzaghe>Pavlik (At least right now)... and mostly by UD or late TKO.

Also, as far as Hopkins is involved in this thread, there is little doubt in my mind that he is a legit legend of the sport. He has fought tough opposition, and looked impressive against the championship level competition, and he has shown longevity in doing so.

IMHO, he is slightly ahead of Calzaghe on the 'ladder of legends.' (obviously just my opinion)

He has simply fought in more 'high profile' fights, and has never (at least to my knowledge) disappointed.

I am looking forward to Calzaghe-Hopkins. I absolutely love Hopkins as a fighter, and stylistically, IMO, he matches up well, if not favorably, against most top-notch fighters because of his well-rounded style and experience. However, Calzaghe will throw more punches than Bhop is use to seeing in a fight. He will probably break 1,000 punches, while Hopkins may only throw 600-700. This will be a great test for both legends, and is sure to answer a lot of questions about both fighters, in particular, Calzaghe. If he dominates Hopkins like he did Kessler (after round 6), Joe C will surely receive far more accolades from this win than any other in his career, and deservingly so.

Can't wait to see this fight. Still saying Calzaghe UD, perhaps 116-112.

However, don't be surprised if Hopkins comes to fight, and pulls off the slight upset. Its what true legends like Bhop are all about. :D

I don't think Pavlik has the experience to take on Joe and win. I just don't see it. I also think that Bhop could take him. People are comparing a tough bread and butter fighter to a slick, quick fighter. Calzaghe has survived relatively unharmed in his career so his age hasn't been much of a factor. He's humiliated fighters, not just defeated. Ring magazine was calling Jeff Lacy the next Mike Tyson. They predicted Calzaghe would "finally get some competition" but the only one to get a lesson in boxing was Lacy. He beat Lacy so bad the next Mike Tyson is relegated to overrated bum (that's was sports commentators do to cover their mistakes).

Pavlik isn't ready for Calzaghe. Give him a few years and if Joe doesn't retire, then he might be ready.

Back