Pavlik vs Calzaghe Dream Match Up - Predictions

Demoniac

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The title says it all. What if it was announced Pavlik would be fighting Calzaghe. How would it go?

Calzaghe dominates this one, only chance I give Pavlik is if he can score the KO. I think otherwise Calzaghe will outbox him for 12.

Honestly, I love Pavlik, but I think you're totally right on this one. Pavlik is the type of fighter that can never ever be completely counted out in a fight. Just think it'd be a hell of an entertaining match up.

Lesser men than Pavlik have given Cal a challenge. You Cal fans are almost as bad as Tito fans back in the day. You only see the good things..lol. Cal has flaws just like any other fight. He would be favored over pavlik but it would be a good fight.

Im taking Calzaghe UD as well.

However, Pavlik is an extremely powerful puncher. He could end it with a few good shots.

I saw Kessler rock Calzaghe a few times, and he rebounded, but Pavlik hits harder than Kessler im sure.

Would be one of the biggest seller's of all time, if not the biggest.

Calzaghe would be too experienced, and be too quick for KP.

Love both fighters.

Im taking Calzaghe UD as well.

However, Pavlik is an extremely powerful puncher. He could end it with a few good shots.

I saw Kessler rock Calzaghe a few times, and he rebounded, but Pavlik hits harder than Kessler im sure.

Would be one of the biggest seller's of all time, if not the biggest.

Calzaghe would be too experienced, and be too quick for KP.

Love both fighters.

Basically the same way I see it going. Except I'd like to think that Pavlik would connect on a few good shots late in a round and send him home. Realistically though, Joey Boy by UD. Thankfully this is a Dream Match Up soo...my final answer is Pavlik 1st rd KO

Lesser men than Pavlik have given Cal a challenge. You Cal fans are almost as bad as Tito fans back in the day. You only see the good things..lol. Cal has flaws just like any other fight. He would be favored over pavlik but it would be a good fight.

I just stated in my post that he could get KO'd, is that not a flaw? Or is the ability to get knocked out a strength?

I obviously do not follow boxing NEARLY as closely as I do Mixed Martial Arts. So I was curious just what do you Sherdog Experts here think about actually ever seeing this fight? Possibility?

i don't think pavlik hits as hard as kessler. kessler has bigger muscles.

Before you go and decide this fight already, wait to see how BHop goes with Joe. BHop breaks people down, Joe isn't a spring chicken, even in losing he could take a lot of shine off his toolchest. If the fight happened today? Pav would have to kayo him to win.

i don't think pavlik hits as hard as kessler. kessler has bigger muscles.

You're joking, right? Tell me you're kidding. Please.

Before you go and decide this fight already, wait to see how BHop goes with Joe. BHop breaks people down, Joe isn't a spring chicken, even in losing he could take a lot of shine off his toolchest. If the fight happened today? Pav would have to kayo him to win.

Wasn't exactly being serious about this. Don't expect it to happen. My buddy and I were talking about Calz on AIM and we just got onto what if Pav vs Calz so I figured I'd see what Sherdog had to say. But yeah I completely agree with you on the KO. I just think it'd be one of the most entertaining fights to watch.

You can be serious about it, it's been widely lobbed around that Kelly will fight both at MW and SMW.

It just so happens that Joe is moving up to LHW, so you could realistically have that fight late this year or early next year for 3 divisions on the line. It'd be at MGM, it'd be huge and I'd love it.

I'd probably lean torward Calzaghe at this point (because of the style matchup), but i'm not very confident about it.

Pavlik is pretty similar to Kessler, only slower. I think Calzaghe would box circles round him and win a wide decision. Pretty convincingly around 117-111.

Could be wrong of course but I seriously don't see this fight being all that close.

I think Calzaghe takes a wide UD. Pavlik has a punchers chance but no more. He may hit harder than Kessler but he doesn't have Kessler's quality in his straight punching which was the only thing Calzaghe was troubled with. I think he tests the water in the early rounds, realises Pavlik is more likely to win a KO battle then outboxes him from range for the rest of the fight and takes at least 9 rounds.

shit fight... pavlik doesnt deserve to be in be in the same ring as calzaghe

Undisputed MW champ vs undisputed SMW champ? That's really not true is it. He probably wouldn't win but to say he doesn't deserve to be in there is pretty retarded.

Calzaghe is very tight at the 168 limit, he prob enters the ring at over 170 and it tall. He also has a very underrated chin and although hes been down a few times, hes never been in serious trouble in a fight. I think he would be able to swarm and work Pavlik to a late round KO or wide UD as IMO these things are too big to overcome.

I'd give Joe the egde, Its abit obvious isnt it really?

Hopkins has a much better chance of beating Calzaghe than Pavlik has right now. Maybe Kelly could win in a few years when Joe is on the decline but right now they are not in the same league.

What makes you think Joe can beat Bernard?? Much more competitive fight than Calzaghe/Pavlik would be!

Back