Pavlik charged with theft...

He was not caught drinking at the bar 2 weeks before a fight so please save me high-level-athlete-BS.

The guy hasn't fought at least for a year and has nothing scheduled either, as far as I know but should keep away from bars anyway,... I mean why ? Just to please you ??

A shame to hear negative press time and time again about Pavlik. I understand fully well that not every professional fighter is a Georges St. Pierre type of role model and that life can be difficult. Especially when you're eating shots for a living.

I think Pavlik managed to do big things in his career and got a modest following behind him. So its disappointing from a fans perspective to see this kind of thing continue.

I really don't understand where this notion that Pavlik has been treated unfairly the media came from. After he beat Taylor, he was a recognized world champion and was in a position to be a poster boy for American boxing, and he drank it all away.

If anything, the media has taken it easy on him. This is the typical story that runs when a guy with notoriety in the sporting world runs afoul of the law. It's not like ESPN is going to trash him all day long with wall to wall coverage on all of their opinion shows.

He was at a bar therefore he's a failed athlete dealing with substance abuse problems? People are really over thinking this. Do you people live in monasteries or something?

He has done two stints in rehab to try and control his alcoholism. His career is over and all signs point to booze being the cause. Not to mention he has a wife and young son at home. I wasn't there so I don't know the situation, but he probably had more important things he coulda been doing then going out boozing until the wee hours.

I would feel bad for any family with these problems, but most people aren't professional athletes so it doesn't make news.

Can't feel sorry for the guy tbh, you were a 1 time champion and made a few millions but couldn't manage to pay a damn $25 fare?

I really don't understand where this notion that Pavlik has been treated unfairly the media came from. After he beat Taylor, he was a recognized world champion and was in a position to be a poster boy for American boxing, and he drank it all away.

If anything, the media has taken it easy on him. This is the typical story that runs when a guy with notoriety in the sporting world runs afoul of the law. It's not like ESPN is going to trash him all day long with wall to wall coverage on all of their opinion shows.

I think you've misunderstood the post or taken it a bit out of context.

He was not caught drinking at the bar 2 weeks before a fight so please save me high-level-athlete-BS.

The guy hasn't fought at least for a year and has nothing scheduled either, as far as I know but should keep away from bars anyway,... I mean why ? Just to please you ??

You're not convincing me that having a well known drinking problem is a positive thing for your career. If you can not understand this basic concept...then bottoms up bro.

yeah this was an issue before pavlik made it and got worst after he made it; now w/a ton of downtime and money, more than likely bad sh*t is gonna happen..cus now he has nothing but himself to keep him from drinking again.

top rank and his mgmt and his coaches got no reason to even try and keep him in line since he ain't fighting no more.

You're not convincing me that having a well known drinking problem is a positive thing for your career. If you can not understand this basic concept...then bottoms up bro

I never said that regular drinking is positive thing for anybody's career.

I'm trying to say that everybody is different and Pavlik obviously doesn't have drive any longer to keep himself at the top, doesn't have any scheduled fights and hasn't fought for quite some time - so if he wants to go to the bar and drink up to the early hours, it's up to him.
I couldn't care less if he was at home watching TV all the night instead.

Back