Pavlik charged with theft...

PHATV

Boss Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
for stiffing a cabbie.

"Former middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik, who abruptly retired in January, was charged with theft on Wednesday after stiffing a cab driver in his hometown of Youngstown, Ohio, for the $25 fare.

Pavlik refused to pay the cab fare after getting a ride home from a bar at 2:45 a.m., according to the Youngstown Vindicator, the newspaper in his hometown. Pavlik has had at least two stints at an alcohol rehabilitation facility."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9690994/kelly-pavlik-charged-refusing-pay-25-cab-fare

The worst part of that story is he was coming from a bar.

Yep. Nothin' good happens in Youngstown at 2:45am.

A shame to hear negative press time and time again about Pavlik. I understand fully well that not every professional fighter is a Georges St. Pierre type of role model and that life can be difficult. Especially when you're eating shots for a living.

I think Pavlik managed to do big things in his career and got a modest following behind him. So its disappointing from a fans perspective to see this kind of thing continue.

It's a shame that so many athletes, athletes from contact sports in particular, deal with substance abuse problems later in their careers and lives. Hockey, football, boxing, etc.

If you watch the Thrilla in Manila documentary Frazier's friend and confidant slips and refers to him as "Boozey" at one point.

It's a shame that so many athletes, athletes from contact sports in particular, deal with substance abuse problems later in their careers and lives. Hockey, football, boxing, etc.

If you watch the Thrilla in Manila documentary Frazier's friend and confidant slips and refers to him as "Boozey" at one point.

Getting punched in the head repeatedly is bad for your health. It can lead to an entire host of problems including depression and other behavior often times not flattering to ones image. Its quite likely a brain chemistry, chemical imbalance issue which these athletes attempt to deal with through substance abuse.

Pugilistic dementia is a serious matter.

Getting punched in the head repeatedly is bad for your health. It can lead to an entire host of problems including depression and other behavior often times not flattering to ones image. Its quite likely a brain chemistry, chemical imbalance issue which these athletes attempt to deal with through substance abuse.

No doubt. Seeing what contact sports can lead to is very scary. Junior Seau and even Detroit legend Bob Probert to speak of a few outside of boxing. Sad.

who hasn't been wasted and forgot to pay the cabbie before?

I support Pavlik fuck cab driver, majority of them are jerks and thieves themselves.

Pavs likes to party.

cas___shots__by_cutiepi97-d550bwy.gif

plus a lot of the guys who get involved in boxing have high "risk profiles" for substance abuse going in

Very sad to hear about this and I hope the guy gets some help. Though he certainly is not in the right place for it.

He was at a bar therefore he's a failed athlete dealing with substance abuse problems? People are really over thinking this. Do you people live in monasteries or something?

He was at a bar therefore he's a failed athlete dealing with substance abuse problems? People are really over thinking this. Do you people live in monasteries or something?

lol I agree. By this logic, everyone that hits the bars with their friends needs to go to rehab and stay there :rolleyes:

You guys are sensationalizing the whole thing.

His problems with alcohol are fairly well documented. When you're a fighter on Pavliks level these sort of things can and do have a tremendous impact on your career.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/chris_mannix/12/23/pavlik.mailbag/index.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-pavlikrehab112610

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-iole_is_pavlik_still_in_denial_042511

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/weblog/news.php?p=25911&more=1

Understood. But on a human to human basis, i say just let the guy be. If he wants to live his life chilling and getting boozed up instead of dedicating his life to training, than so be it. Even if that means having to rehabilitate himself. Being a professional athlete i guess, is a shitload of pressure (not that i would know) and if someone decides he wants no more of it, i don't think anyone is in any position to hold him to it or cast judgement against him. People gonna people.

Back