Paulo Filho never lost a fight via anything other than dec.

Not to be a jerk but I'd rather see someone figh to win and get knocked out than someone who is in there to survive
You didn't finish the last sentence. Of course you didn't want to write survive AND WIN because then you would sound like a retard.

Pretty sure that ghost he was fighting in the Sonnen fight got the TKO in the long run
b87nl4.jpg

To be fair, he didn't really fight ranked guys after his WEC run.

Not getting finished by Manhoef is impressive, but only if you're a striker. Nearly any decent grappler has managed to beat him.

Filho ate some big shots in that fight, probably didn't train for it at all.

Not to be a jerk but I'd rather see someone figh to win and get knocked out than someone who is in there to survive
Filho had a stretch in his hayday where he was submitting everybody in the first round. He was a finisher.

Filho was a modern day Icarus.
He tried anything to get to new heights, including cocaine.
Sometimes when you fly too high, you get burned by the sun, and come crashing back to Earth.

Who was better? I think he was the best in his prime. Would have beat Anderson.

Yep I think so, the wrestling to get him down, the top game to threaten him or at the very least hold him down and the chin to take punishment.

Disagree.

If Leites and Maia couldn't armbar Anderson, I don't think Paulo could either.
Paulo was the best MW in the world in 2006. Anderson said so himself when they used to train together.

Paulo was the best MW in the world in 2006. Anderson said so himself when they used to train together.

Anderson says alot of crazy things.

He thinks BJ Penn is the GOAT.

Maia never got Anderson down of course, Filho was a much better wrestler IMHO and much tougher chin wise.

Filho got put in the WEC to keep him away from Silva IMHO, either the UFC or Blackhouse didn't want him potentially upsetting things. They didn't know he was going to fall to pieces with drug issues of course.

I remember when he was supposed to be the guy to beat Anderson Silva.

The guy was undefeated but all of his wins were against cans/borderline cans. Even Sonnen was average at the time.

Silva would have probably beat the crap out of him or just stalled in a terrible decision win since he did that against other brazilians.

Anderson and Maia used to train together too... He never said Maia was better than him.

So....we determine who is a better fighter going by what Anderson says?

Think about the amount of crazy shit Anderson has said.

So....we determine who is a better fighter going by what Anderson says?

Think about the amount of crazy shit Anderson has said.
I'm just saying that at the time Filho and Anderson used to train out of the same gym and everybody believed Filho was the better fighter. Paulo's grappling was so good that he made elite fighters look like fools.

I'm just saying that at the time Filho and Anderson used to train out of the same gym and everybody believed Filho was the better fighter. Paulo's grappling was so good that he made elite fighters look like fools.

Agreed.

But determining MW GOAT, I can't put Paulo ahead of Anderson.

If he was in the UFC, fighting elite competition like Anderson was, then maybe.

Nobody is calling Paulo the MW GOAT.

Back