Media Paulo Costa says he is sitting at 236 lbs right now, how would he do at HW?

oh ok. really? must be walk around wwight. in cage isn't he only 222 or something?

heard costa was 213 in cage based on post fight weight results. Not far away tbh. I believe costa is more shredded than Jones.

in the pic posted he can't be 236 though? looks under 220. I maybe wrong though.
In his presser last week, jones said he is a solid 245 and then cut to 230 and was shredded. We always talk about how tough mma fighters are but this cutting business turns them into insecure chickenshits .

In his presser last week, jones said he is a solid 245 and then cut to 230 and was shredded. We always talk about how tough mma fighters are but this cutting business turns them into insecure chickenshits .
245? Damn big boy.

him cutting to MW tells you all you need to know on how he'd do at LHW let alone HW.

It tells us nothing... Rumble competed as low as Welterweight and he was competitive with the best of the best at LHW and had a handful of wins at HW.

It tells us nothing... Rumble competed as low as Welterweight and he was competitive with the best of the best at LHW and had a handful of wins at HW.

sure it does. it tells us Rumble was afraid of going up. why do you think he was so fucking scared when he fought Vitor and missed weight? he could've easily KO'd Vitor, but nope, too scared.

Cutting 50lbs is completely ridiculous, especially since after all that Adesanya is still going to dismantle him.

Costa should just move up to 205.
Cutting is not the same as dieting. Dude has had an injury that has sidelined him for months. I was 88kg (about 190 in lbs) when I fucked my back and made 155 in 8 weeks. I dieted and trained and lost enough weight that I only cut 5kg of water to make 70kg, which is pretty standard.

I've got no idea why Sherdoggers keep talking about fighter's walk around weight. It's meaningless. If you're not training and dieting you obviously put on weight. It's not rocket science.

I don't like that. He was in pretty good conditioning for his size, it's gonna be harder to come back and achieve the same kind of conditioning after getting heavy.

sure it does. it tells us Rumble was afraid of going up. why do you think he was so fucking scared when he fought Vitor and missed weight? he could've easily KO'd Vitor, but nope, too scared.
It has nothing to do with "being scared." It's the culture of the sport to cut as much weight as possible to "gain an advantage" and the fighters have fully bought into it. They are going to compete at the lowest weight class they can safely make weight at, because that's what fighters do. Whether that is the smart move or not is debatable. We have plenty of evidence that it only matters when fighters are significantly smaller than the average competitor in their division they struggle. However, the opposite is not true. Guys that cut significant weight to gain an advantage don't do significantly better at the lower weight class than they would at the higher one (assuming they aren't undersized for the division.)

He's shredded at 236lb. I bet he walks around at like 250lb with no training.

It has nothing to do with "being scared." It's the culture of the sport to cut as much weight as possible to "gain an advantage" and the fighters have fully bought into it. They are going to compete at the lowest weight class they can safely make weight at, because that's what fighters do. Whether that is the smart move or not is debatable. We have plenty of evidence that it only matters when fighters are significantly smaller than the average competitor in their division they struggle. However, the opposite is not true. Guys that cut significant weight to gain an advantage don't do significantly better at the lower weight class than they would at the higher one (assuming they aren't undersized for the division.)

being scared has A LOT to do with it. if you really think you're the best fighter in the world why are you losing 40lbs to fight guys half your size? that's what Rumble was doing. people never want to admit this because they think it's the same as calling a fighter a pussy, but it's not. fighters are human beings and they get scared too.

you don't think it's obvious to Conor and his team that he is not nearly as powerful at 170lb or 155lb as he was at 145lbs? you don't think that's exactly why he was fighting at a 145lbs? because he was scared to lose the power advantage? that's why every fight above 145lbs has been a handpicked oppoent, every. single. time. nobody wants to lose, and that's exactly what fighters are afraid of when they cut weight.

Back