Paulo Costa: Robert Whittaker is ‘not so good’ with his striking, wrestling, or jiu-jitsu

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
The undefeated Brazilian striker is 4-0 inside the Octagon, with every win coming by first- or second-round knockout, and he’s set himself up for a huge showdown with Cuban powerhouse Yoel Romero at UFC 230 in November. His best win to date is the then #9-ranked Uriah Hall, so getting matched up with the #1 contender even caught Costa off-guard.

“I was surprised, because the UFC put Chris Weidman to fight against Luke Rockhold and (gave) me the best of the division – the No. 1,” Costa said to reporters at a Dana White’s Contender Series: Brazil taping in Las Vegas. (via MMAjunkie)

Romero (13-3) is coming off a split decision loss to current champion Robert Whittaker at UFC 225, a fight in which Romero missed weight and thus wouldn’t have won the title anyway. Only Whittaker has bested him at middleweight, and the only person to knock him out was Rafael Cavalcante back in Strikeforce. It’s a tall order to try and put Romero away, but Costa believes he’ll get the job done.

“This is the biggest challenge of my career,” Costa said. “But every fight is the biggest challenge, so I’m very confident. I will (knock him out).”

If Costa wins and does so in impressive fashion, a title shot is almost certain. In the meantime, Whittaker is sidelined for the rest of the year as he heals his broken right hand, but when he does come back, he’ll be facing off against Kelvin Gastelum in early 2019.

Amazingly, Costa doesn’t really rate the champ all that highly.

“He’s a regular fight, for me,” Costa said. “He’s not so good in the standup, or wrestling, or jiu-jitsu. He’s a regular fight, you know?”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Costa vs Romero is a great fight, but I'd rather see Costa vs Whittaker first. No need to sacrifice Costa to Romero yet.

He is going to be one disappointed man once Yoel gives him the kiss of death and introduces him to gay jesus

LOL

Costa was getting lit up with a jab by Hall.

If he hadn't been allowed to bully Hall into folding with his excessive fouls, he probably would have lost a decision.

I can't wait until this clown gets smoked. It'll be Erick Silva levels of schadenfreude.

Last edited:
romero broke whittaker, it would be an easy fight for costa

LOL

Costa was getting lit up with a jab by Hall.

If he hadn't been a lot to bully Hall into folding with his excessive fouls, he probably would have lost a decision.

I can't wait until this clown gets smoked. It'll be Erick Silva levels of schadenfreude.
would lost a decision, hahahaha. but just happened to knock him out, right?

The undefeated Brazilian striker is 4-0 inside the Octagon, with every win coming by first- or second-round knockout, and he’s set himself up for a huge showdown with Cuban powerhouse Yoel Romero at UFC 230 in November. His best win to date is the then #9-ranked Uriah Hall, so getting matched up with the #1 contender even caught Costa off-guard.

“I was surprised, because the UFC put Chris Weidman to fight against Luke Rockhold and (gave) me the best of the division – the No. 1,” Costa said to reporters at a Dana White’s Contender Series: Brazil taping in Las Vegas. (via MMAjunkie)

Romero (13-3) is coming off a split decision loss to current champion Robert Whittaker at UFC 225, a fight in which Romero missed weight and thus wouldn’t have won the title anyway. Only Whittaker has bested him at middleweight, and the only person to knock him out was Rafael Cavalcante back in Strikeforce. It’s a tall order to try and put Romero away, but Costa believes he’ll get the job done.

“This is the biggest challenge of my career,” Costa said. “But every fight is the biggest challenge, so I’m very confident. I will (knock him out).”

If Costa wins and does so in impressive fashion, a title shot is almost certain. In the meantime, Whittaker is sidelined for the rest of the year as he heals his broken right hand, but when he does come back, he’ll be facing off against Kelvin Gastelum in early 2019.

Amazingly, Costa doesn’t really rate the champ all that highly.

“He’s a regular fight, for me,” Costa said. “He’s not so good in the standup, or wrestling, or jiu-jitsu. He’s a regular fight, you know?”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

I definitely see Costa beating him. I think Whitakker has accomplished something very impressive, but match ups make fights, I think Costa is right, Whitakker is good everywhere, but I think Costa beats him and make it look easy. On the other hand, I think Costa loses to Romero probably, I think Romero will dominate. I think UFC fucked up with this match up.

Also not so good in the looks department especially compared to the Brazilian sex God.

This dude talks a lot of shit. Hope Romero puts him to sleep.

That maybe true ( although I don't think that ) but Costa has to get past Yoel before he can think about fighting for that title

I think Costa could beat Whittaker... maybe not Romero, we'll see, but he'd starch Whitaker.

Whittaker is a busy fighter like Costa minus the incredible power. He'd get starched.

I definitely see Costa beating him. I think Whitakker has accomplished something very impressive, but match ups make fights, I think Costa is right, Whitakker is good everywhere, but I think Costa beats him and make it look easy. On the other hand, I think Costa loses to Romero probably, I think Romero will dominate. I think UFC fucked up with this match up.
<{MindBrown}>

fuck drinking, you’ve mainlined that kool aid damn.

Woah woah woah Costa, settle dowm before Bobby Knuckles opens a can of whoop ass on you.

I can't wait for Romero to humble this dude. Sending his head into the rafters with one of those Cuban Missiles.

If costa isn't allowed to smash nuts and poke eyes over and over then Bobby probably destroys him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back