Paulie Just Got Fired From Showtime

Drawing attention to what "species" is more dominant is insane, useless, and unhelpful.

If that is the case then it is an offensive statement regardless.. It's not awkwardly phrased, it's down right incorrect and retarded.

I knew Humans are all one species when I was 5.

He clearly used the wrong word. We all do sometimes. Who cares if it was unhelpful, whatever that means. Most of the shit we say is "unhelpful" and we don't get in trouble for that.

Why was what he said offensive?

Last edited:
You interpret it that way, but what he actually said is stupid and pointless, and certainly can be seen as offensive.

Pointing that out achieves nothing, pointing that out using awful terminology that doesn't make any sense is ridiculous.

Who cares if it was pointless. Telling some random anecdote on air is also pointless, but no one gets in trouble. Again, why was it offensive? It's just an observation that one group of people is doing really well in boxing right now. That's a fact. Should we suppress expressions of truth?

I heard about that. Funny that people called him the Greek and yet he got in trouble for racial stuff. I don't think his theory is unreasonable.
I dont think it's a stretch either. Also, I remember the baseball guy al campanis saying black people didnt make good swimmers because they lack buoyancy, which again might have some truth to it. Anyway, as I mentioned, the overreaction has been around for a bit. How about ross Perot calling black people "you people". I dont blame black or Indians for their issues we have been made pretty neurotic but honestly, past a certain point I just think it either hurts us or wastes our time.

I'd still love to hear a clip of what he actually said for context. His tweets were pretty plain though, he doesn't think racism exists anymore.

Who cares if it was pointless. Telling some random anecdote on air is also pointless, but no one gets in trouble. Again, why was it offensive? It's just an observation that one group of people is doing really well in boxing right now. That's a fact. Should we suppress expressions of truth?

It's Ignorant to not consider the connotations of using that word with regards to dominance and African Americans. Especially when doing so is completely unhelpful, useless and incorrect.

He should have just said Eastern Europeans are dominating boxing right now.. No need to use Species, or dominating African Americans, that is were he went wrong.

Fury is constantly being forced to apologise for his homophobic, sexist, anti semitic stuff and has done for years.

Your point? Serious question btw. I know that Travellers (?) are considered a minority in the UK but are they a protected class like women and LGTBQs?

And how offensive or inoffensive have his remarks, crimes, been in comparison to Paulies?

Your point? Serious question btw. I know that Travellers (?) are considered a minority in the UK but are they a protected class like women and LGTBQs?

And how offensive or inoffensive have his remarks, crimes, been in comparison to Paulies?

I'm actually not sure what it was in regards to, I thought for some reason you were hinting towards making a point of Boxing being very open to free speech and such.. looking back I see I was completely mistaken lol. my bad.

I did hear on the radio him awkwardly being asked to apologise, in terms of main stream media I think it passes quickly when he gets in the shit.

It's Ignorant to not consider the connotations of using that word with regards to dominance and African Americans. Especially when doing so is completely unhelpful, useless and incorrect.

He should have just said Eastern Europeans are dominating boxing right now.. No need to use Species, or dominating African Americans, that is were he went wrong.

You're still not answering why it relevant to bring up that speech is useless or unhelpful, whatever that means.

He never said EEs are dominating blacks. He said that different groups have done well at different times in boxing and that for the past \decades blacks were dominating but right now EEs are doing really well.

He should have said race or ethnicity and not species. But even saying species, who exactly is that insulting to? Eastern Europeans? I'm not even sure who is supposed to be offended here.

Do you really want to live in a world where we have to comb through peoples speech to find reasons to get them in trouble?

I'd still love to hear a clip of what he actually said for context. His tweets were pretty plain though, he doesn't think racism exists anymore.
In that case he deserves to be off the air. Why should we be subjected to ignorance.

Check out the first page for the quoted text of what he said.

In that case he deserves to be off the air. Why should we be subjected to ignorance.

Seriously? We're all ignorant about some things. How about a little humility and self awareness before casting stones?

You're still not answering why it relevant to bring up that speech is useless or unhelpful, whatever that means.

He never said EEs are dominating blacks. He said that different groups have done well at different times in boxing and that for the past \decades blacks were dominating but right now EEs are doing really well.

He should have said race or ethnicity and not species. But even saying species, who exactly is that insulting to? Eastern Europeans? I'm not even sure who is supposed to be offended here.

Do you really want to live in a world where we have to comb through peoples speech to find reasons to get them in trouble?

I mean that drawing a comparison to different "Species" dominating, does absolutely 0 for anyone, Thus useless. His job is to inform and commentate, not spout useless nothings anyone can say "a potato is a car" but you don't get the job for saying useless things like that.

He said “it’s no longer the time of the African American anymore in boxing.” and then followed by “It’s (the Eastern Europeans) that has become the dominant species in boxing,”.

I understand your point, it can be seen as offensive because the terminology infers that one species is more dominant than another , species is a word with too many negative connotations with regards to humans.

I want to live in a world were my commentators don't try and teach me that one species of people are doing better than another species of people without any useful or meaningful context.

It could just be an excuse to get rid of Paulie. He’s always been outspoken, accusing Pac of being on PEDs, accusing officials of being corrupt when he loses, his dramas with Broner and McGregor etc.

I can imagine him being awkward and stubborn behind the scenes. With Sky, he’s great at commentating, giving technical insight, but he never seemed to fully gel with the others. At times it was clear they didn’t get on.

Showtime probably don’t find what he said too bad, but with recent events have public pressure now.

I mean that drawing a comparison to different "Species" dominating, does absolutely 0 for anyone, Thus useless. His job is to inform and commentate, not spout useless nothings anyone can say "a potato is a car" but you don't get the job for saying useless things like that.

If he had been sacked for being a crap commentator or because we can't take him seriously as an expert commentator anymore after he lost to Artem then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

The question he was asked was pretty much a curve ball.

Sacking him and seemingly implying that he was making racially insensitive comments because he's presumably a closet racist just seems like adding insult to injury.

Check out the first page for the quoted text of what he said.
Ok saw it, heard a lot worse, he didnt have to broach the topic at all, he's there to talk boxing not social issues. Should have just did what HBOS broadcasters did when camacho called out whitaker and taylor, punctuated by "all of you n....' they ignored it.

I’m glad he didn’t apologize.
Larry merchant apologized for criticizing delahoya for playing up his mexican roots, dont know if his job was at stake. Least paulie has some conviction

The use of the word 'species' is obviously in the same vein as calling a fighter a 'beast' or 'savage'. Obviously it's not meant to be taken literally. He was just emphasizing the success EE fighters have had over the past few years, although it's inaccurate because they're not the dominant force in boxing.

If he had been sacked for being a crap commentator or because we can't take him seriously as an expert commentator anymore after he lost to Artem then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

The question he was asked was pretty much a curve ball.

Sacking him and seemingly implying that he was making racially insensitive comments because he's presumably a closet racist just seems like adding insult to injury.

I would like to hear it for better context, like I said earlier in the thread i've only read it. Especially with curve ball in mind.

I don't know if he's a closet racist, I've not seen enough of him to make that assumption.. I do think the statement i've read is one of the most stupid things i've ever heard from any commentator ever though.

Back