Paulie Just Got Fired From Showtime

Yeah that's some bullshit. It's all suddenly okay if he gives a phony apology? It's obvious the people making the decisions don't actually care about the issues they're pretending to care about.
What's crazy is it works....Mel Gibson, Hulk Hogan, and Dog the Bounty are all back baby....

Fucking ridiculous. It has gotten to the point where white people are literally not allowed to even debate a subject involving race without risk of having their livelihoods taken away from them.
Could be worse. You could get ran over and executed for jogging or murdered because somebody gave you a high quality fake $20....
I'll trade you...

Shame I always thought he was one of the best at commentating, not an expert on Boxing commentators at all though..

If he had just said Eastern Europeans are dominating the sport he'd have been fine..

The use of the word "Species" is what baffles me.

Shame I always thought he was one of the best at commentating, not an expert on Boxing commentators at all though..

If he had just said Eastern Europeans are dominating the sport he'd have been fine..

That...and he did kind of seem in his feelings when he said African Americans times up and wont dominate again..or something to that effect. I knew that wouldn't sit well.

here's a list of announcers that were either fired or dismissed when their contract ran out, i'll put the reasons I heard for the the firing, if any.
Barry Thompkins/HBO- No reason given
Ferdie Pacheco-he wasn't young enough to give the look showtime wanted.
Sugar Ray Leonard-Fired from HBO for negotiating a fight with showtime.
George Foreman- I think they just decided not to renew his contract and plenty of people, including his own co-commentators didn't like his work.
Sal Marciano/ESPN- i never heard a reason but it could have been he got on people's nerves by saying "goodnight sweet prince!" everytime a ten count was completed.
Didn't teddy atlas get fired for ranting about corruption? (cus would have been proud).

Then we have silly controversies like Larry Merchant deriding Delahoya for playing up his mexican heritage with spanish music/ the anthem or somesuch, and speaking spanish in the corner. I think it was the whitaker fight but I could be wrong, it's been a few years. And our good buddy jim lampley had some kind of issue a few years ago, all i remember is he smoked marijuana and went to strip clubs but neither was fired.

We should also consider that Paulie was a guy that got hit in the head a lot as a career. He's going to say some head-scratching things from time to time.

That...and he did kind of seem in his feelings when he said African Americans times up and wont dominate again..or something to that effect. I knew that wouldn't sit well.

I didn't hear him, just read the original post in this thread which quotes : “it’s no longer the time of the African American anymore in boxing.”
I think adding and "won't dominate again" would make it a much worse statement personally.

It was a stupid thing to say.

We should also consider that Paulie was a guy that got hit in the head a lot as a career. He's going to say some head-scratching things from time to time.

Agree, if his brain is too damaged to think that an African American and Easter European are 2 different species though.. I'd suggest it is probably for the best he doesn't speak for a living, he doesn't need to after all.

I don't hate him, like I said, I think he's been my favourite Commentator in Boxing.

There was a vid of it but by the time I posted the thread the vid was deleted or made private, not sure which.

Sounds like he might have said some stupid shit, I never watch today's fights so I didn't hear it.

I saw it here...
But got annoyed with how sensative the youtuber was...was not a fan of his take on it.

Sucks, I really liked that Showtime broadcast team

I didnt mind Paulie at all, very objective and didnt suck up to PBC fighters like he was suppose to.

Paulie made Wilder so upset with his commentary on the first Fury fight that Wilder only wanted his fights on FOX lol

Personally, Showtime broadcast team is way better than FOX broadcast team...except for maybe Lennox.

Paulie made Wilder so upset with his commentary on the first Fury fight that Wilder only wanted his fights on FOX lol

Personally, Showtime broadcast team is way better than FOX broadcast team...except for maybe Lennox.
Lennox was way better at HBO, maybe he replaces Paulie??

Its Joe Goosen who makes LL sound a little off by undermining him and playing weird machismo posturing antics against LL, its almost like he’s very intimidated by him, they just don’t go well together.

Lennox was way better at HBO, maybe he replaces Paulie??

Its Joe Goosen who makes LL sound a little off by undermining him and playing weird machismo posturing antics against LL, its almost like he’s very intimidated by him, they just don’t go well together.
seems like boxers are usually mixed up in that kind of stuff with other announcers. Boxers aren't always very well spoken and sometimes they rightly think they know more about the sport than the other announcers and that causes problems.

seems like boxers are usually mixed up in that kind of stuff with other announcers. Boxers aren't always very well spoken and sometimes they rightly think they know more about the sport than the other announcers and that causes problems.
I was just thinking that as well, Jim Lampley was very good in carrying his partners throughout the broadcast he did it to Roy, LL and Foreman.

Lewis seems to still rely on a blow by blow guy like Lampley and Goosen just doesnt have the experience, maybe having a former coach and a former boxer isn’t a good match?

I was just thinking that as well, Jim Lampley was very good in carrying his partners throughout the broadcast he did it to Roy, LL and Foreman.

Lewis seems to still rely on a blow by blow guy like Lampley and Goosen just doesnt have the experience, maybe having a former coach and a former boxer isn’t a good match?
coaches can definitely be egotistical, and many of them look down on fighters, not quite as much as they used to but many of them have a patriarchal view of fighters, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

I don't like Paulie.
But nothing wrong with what he said.

Snowflakes just can't handle it.

This is such bullshit, he said nothing wrong
He cant say that, but it’s ok for that other fuck to say “I’ll never let a Whiteboy beat me”?
Fuck showtime, people will catch on to this garbage, and all these assholes Who pull this shit will eat a dick.
I'm still not sure what the dude said so I really don't know what to side to take. honestly though, when someone gets fired over what seems trivial or even not so trivial, I always think there are other reasons at work, they obviously don't think they need the guy, maybe they just didn't like him, who knows. Howard cosell called a football player a monkey and they ran him out of football so damned fast, what always surprises me is that the people who put them in that seat don't stand by their own choice when the shit hits the fan. I think with Howie, it was Roone Arledge and if I remember right, they didn't try to help their own man. If I'm wrong someone correct me, that shit was so long ago.

Last edited:
Back