News Paul/Woodley does 500k PPVs

1. DAZN has a monthly subscription cost of $20, so 500,000 subscriptions at $20 isn't the same as 500,000 PPV buys at $70. For reference, a 500k sell would be ranked #4 on the highest selling PPVs of the year for the UFC, as opposed to being tied for #2 in boxing. Not to mention the difference in revenue due to pricing.

2. Canelo Saunders did huge attendance numbers, however the live gate was $9 million. That means the average ticket is about $120-125. If Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier fought in a stadium regardless of where it was, it absolutely would sell out. They just sold a $16 million dollar gate in July, and even though this isn't exactly equal, $16 million divided by $125 would equal 128,000. So essentially, there's the potential for them to sell that many tickets. It doesn't mean they would sell 128,000 tickets, but if a Vegas crowd is willing to spent $16 million total, they would definitely fill up a stadium. Canelo fighting in Texas is very close to Mexico. So that'd be like McGregor fighting at a stadium in the UK.

3. I still haven't seen anything on the viewing figures from Mexico, so I'm not sure how accurate that is. Khabib vs Poirier was seen by 26 million viewers in Russia alone - source: https://www.rt.com/sport/468405-ufc-242-khabib-tv-views-instagram-fame-russia/ and Conor is considered to be the #1 draw in MMA. So if he were to fight on free tv, who knows how many would watch.

4. UFC can fill up stadiums (UFC 129, UFC 193, UFC 198, UFC 243), but I think due to the fact that gates are generally lower on stadium shows relative to the attendance, they prefer to sell less tickets for a higher price.

I'm not saying MMA is better than boxing, I'm just pointing out that the UFC as a brand is surging and has become somewhat consistent in their PPV sales.
500k subscribers because theres already 15m subscribers. Everyone in the boxing section is already subscribed. None of us had to buy it because we already pay for it.
UFC fight pass isnt even at 1m subscribers yet and it's been 4 years or so.
Canelo regularly does huge ratings.
He got 18m viewers against Liam Smith. 22.5m against Floyd. 26m against Fielding. 15mil against Callum. 13m vs Avni and 16.2m vs Saunders (20m if u count all digital platforms) 28m against Matthew Hatton.
For his fight against Kovalev he did around 27m viewers. Canelo-Jacobs did 30.2m in Mexico and Canelo-GGG II did around 34M viewers.
When Canelo-Lopez happened at the same exact time as Chavez-Martinez.
Canelo got 18.1M viewers while Chavez got 16.2m. That means 34m were watching boxing at the same time
I'll have to get the GGG fight numbers too. Those were high as well.

Marquez-Pacquiao III did 37.2m for anyone who wants a funfact and that's the most since the JCC days. Canelo hasn't topped that yet but got close with the 2nd GGG fight.

Khabib did 10.8m for his last fight in Russia.
So he hit 26m only once and dropped dramatically for his next fight and doesn't even fight anymore. Yet Canelo continues to do these numbers every fight.
That's the difference.

And Groves-Froch II did 80k attendance in the UK, while Joshua-Klitschko did 90k in attendance.
We dont want to hear what the UFC couldve done when boxing actually gets it done.

Last edited:
Wonder what Wilder vs Fury will do. Maybe Conor numbers if they lucky

Hard to say cuz the HW scene is still "ded" in the states... The first fight sold 325k, the second 1.2 million+ (traditional and online buys) but the way Tyson Fury raped Wilder, and he even made Wilder look like a small LHW, propably means lower numbers when it comes to ppv.

If Wilder KOs Fury in brutal fashion... Oh boy, The 4th fight will be gigantic!

500k subscribers because theres already 15m subscribers. Everyone in the boxing section is already subscribed. None of us had to buy it because we already pay for it.
UFC fight pass isnt even at 1m subscribers yet and it's been 4 years or so.
Canelo regularly does huge ratings.
He got 18m viewers against Liam Smith. 22.5m against Floyd. 26m against Fielding. 15mil against Callum. 13m vs Avni and 16.2m vs Saunders (20m if u count all digital platforms) 28m against Matthew Hatton.
For his fight against Kovalev he did around 27m viewers. Canelo-Jacobs did 30.2m in Mexico and Canelo-GGG II did around 34M viewers.
When Canelo-Lopez happened at the same exact time as Chavez-Martinez.
Canelo got 18.1M viewers while Chavez got 16.2m. That means 34m were watching boxing at the same time
I'll have to get the GGG fight numbers too. Those were high as well.

Marquez-Pacquiao III did 37.2m for anyone who wants a funfact and that's the most since the JCC days. Canelo hasn't topped that yet but got close with the 2nd GGG fight.

Khabib did 10.8m for his last fight in Russia.
So he hit 26m only once and dropped dramatically for his next fight and doesn't even fight anymore. Yet Canelo continues to do these numbers every fight.
That's the difference.

And Groves-Froch II did 80k attendance in the UK, while Joshua-Klitschko did 90k in attendance.
We dont want to hear what the UFC couldve done when boxing actually gets it done.

1. There's a big difference between DAZN and UFC Fight Pass. You can't watch new / live PPVs through Fight Pass. You can only watch them a month after. Also, "DAZN is the exclusive home of Premier League, UEFA Men's and Women's Champions League, and a host of other European soccer leagues and tournaments." & NFL, NBA, & they previously had Bellator MMA.

2. Khabib hasn't fought as many times as Canelo on free TV, so assuming that he would simply keep dropping viewers isn't a fair assumption.

3. ONE has already surpassed all of those viewing figures that you mentioned (can you post a source for these numbers btw?), recently hitting 85 million viewers in Asia. https://ministryofsport.com.au/one-...bal-viewership-records-with-latest-mma-event/

4. As I mentioned before, Dana White has already made it clear that the UFC bases the model around a higher live gate rather than simply selling out massive stadiums. So how would you compare boxing (who regularly seeks to do stadium shows) to UFC (who only attempts it one time every few years)?

And overall for the viewing global figures (which the thread isn't even about), it's not something you can really compare to for the UFC. That's due to the fact that the UFC doesn't have the same viewing system as boxing or Canelo's deals. You can't watch Conor McGregor for free in Ireland, or Nate Diaz for free in America (post UFC 196). If McGregor vs Khabib was shown free everywhere aside from America, it'd be hard to tell how many viewers it could do.

Overall they're not really close
upload_2021-9-17_15-48-39.png
upload_2021-9-17_15-53-39.png

When it comes to something we can actually compare due to the fact that all three fighters have been on the same model for numerous big fights, the UFC's biggest names top out Boxing's biggest names.

Average PPV buys over career:
Conor McGregor: 1,455,000 PPV buys on average (at $50-70)
Anthony Joshua: 1,104,000 PPV buys on average (at $35 USD)
Canelo Alvarez: 807,500 PPV buys on average ($50-80)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Cariñito if anything this just shows that neither of them are necessarily above the other, they simply have systems for viewership. UFC / MMA is typically more PPV based, while boxing is moving towards streaming.

1. There's a big difference between DAZN and UFC Fight Pass. You can't watch new / live PPVs through Fight Pass. You can only watch them a month after. Also, "DAZN is the exclusive home of Premier League, UEFA Men's and Women's Champions League, and a host of other European soccer leagues and tournaments." & NFL, NBA, & they previously had Bellator MMA.

2. Khabib hasn't fought as many times as Canelo on free TV, so assuming that he would simply keep dropping viewers isn't a fair assumption.

3. ONE has already surpassed all of those viewing figures that you mentioned (can you post a source for these numbers btw?), recently hitting 85 million viewers in Asia. https://ministryofsport.com.au/one-...bal-viewership-records-with-latest-mma-event/

4. As I mentioned before, Dana White has already made it clear that the UFC bases the model around a higher live gate rather than simply selling out massive stadiums. So how would you compare boxing (who regularly seeks to do stadium shows) to UFC (who only attempts it one time every few years)?

And overall for the viewing global figures (which the thread isn't even about), it's not something you can really compare to for the UFC. That's due to the fact that the UFC doesn't have the same viewing system as boxing or Canelo's deals. You can't watch Conor McGregor for free in Ireland, or Nate Diaz for free in America (post UFC 196). If McGregor vs Khabib was shown free everywhere aside from America, it'd be hard to tell how many viewers it could do.

View attachment 880216
View attachment 880218

When it comes to something we can actually compare due to the fact that all three fighters have been on the same model for numerous big fights, the UFC's biggest names top out Boxing's biggest names.

Canelos last 6 fights have been on DAZN and have done from 13m-34m viewers just in Mexico. He'll fight against Plant on PPV but, that's a dead model and one the UFC is trying to get off.
An article just came out where Canelos downplaying himself with the comparisons hes getting for the level of magnitude of stardom hes got to. The comparisons were to Messi and Ronaldo.
And the Google searches mean nothing to me.
The money and viewership does, cuz that's what actually matters and Canelos shits on McGregor. And Conors done too by the way.
How bout giving me someone who still fights. Those guys are done. Ali did 90m for his fights in just American viewership. Theres no need for me to bring him up because hes not fighting anymore.
Theres a reason hes the highest paid guy in combat sports and at one time all of sports. Its because hes the biggest star in combat sports and one of the biggest stars in sports in the entire world. And theres no gimmick with it as well. No bullshit. No running into Machine Gun Kelly mistaking him for Jake Paul.
Hes the pinnacle of all of combat sports.
You'll watch his next fight.

Canelos last 6 fights have been on DAZN and have done from 13m-34m viewers just in Mexico. He'll fight against Plant on PPV but, that's a dead model and one the UFC is trying to get off.
An article just came out where Canelos downplaying himself with the comparisons hes getting for the level of magnitude of stardom hes got to. The comparisons were to Messi and Ronaldo.
And the Google searches mean nothing to me.
The money and viewership does, cuz that's what actually matters and Canelos shits on McGregor. And Conors done too by the way.
How bout giving me someone who still fights. Those guys are done. Ali did 90m for his fights in just American viewership. Theres no need for me to bring him up because hes not fighting anymore.
Theres a reason hes the highest paid guy in combat sports and at one time all of sports. Its because hes the biggest star in combat sports and one of the biggest stars in sports in the entire world. And theres no gimmick with it as well. No bullshit. No running into Machine Gun Kelly mistaking him for Jake Paul.
Hes the pinnacle of all of combat sports.
You'll watch his next fight.

I guess we'll go through this again

1. McGregor just fought in July, and has confirmed that he will return.

2. If you're going to say that Canelo is the biggest star in combat sports and one of the biggest stars in sports, then why wouldn't "Worldwide" google searches matter? it's a great indication of one's level of worldwide popularity. And again, you can't use viewing figures for Canelo as a reason for him being more well known because we simply don't have viewing figures for McGregor's fights since they're on PPV.

PPV can't be compared to viewing figures. However, PPV can be compared to PPV, and McGregor averages higher than any current boxer in the world. 1.45 million average > 810,000 average. Every single metric aside from payout (which is due to structure of boxing & mma business), as well as Mexican viewership (which can't be compared because Conor's fights aren't on free TV) indicate that McGregor is the bigger name. He has the most social media followers of any combat sports athlete, as well as the most google searches amongst current fighters.

3. Boxing pay structure is far different from the UFC. Hence why despite doing higher PPV numbers, UFC headliners will still get paid less. When McGregor went to boxing, he got a $100 million dollar payout. He went back to MMA and got around $25-50 million. The UFC fighters only get paid 18% of the share.

This is interesting I guess
upload_2021-9-17_23-8-28.png

4. I'm not sure where this conversation is going simply because the topic of the thread was PPV buys. UFC is currently selling higher PPVs on average than boxing. The thread wasn't about viewing figures, and that's mainly because UFC and Boxing don't have any similarities in that field. They don't show Free TV fights for Conor McGregor in Ireland, or Israel Adesanya in New Zealand. So it's not something that can be compared. Only PPV vs PPV can be (right now).

So overall, my argument is that UFC has been doing better PPV numbers lately, and your argument is that Boxing's viewing figures are higher. Both are true, but not necessarily for reasons of popularity, but rather because the system in which they sell their product is different. Is that something we can agree on?

I guess we'll go through this again

1. McGregor just fought in July, and has confirmed that he will return.

2. If you're going to say that Canelo is the biggest star in combat sports and one of the biggest stars in sports, then why wouldn't "Worldwide" google searches matter? it's a great indication of one's level of worldwide popularity. And again, you can't use viewing figures for Canelo as a reason for him being more well known because we simply don't have viewing figures for McGregor's fights since they're on PPV.

PPV can't be compared to viewing figures. However, PPV can be compared to PPV, and McGregor averages higher than any current boxer in the world. 1.45 million average > 810,000 average. Every single metric aside from payout (which is due to structure of boxing & mma business), as well as Mexican viewership (which can't be compared because Conor's fights aren't on free TV) indicate that McGregor is the bigger name. He has the most social media followers of any combat sports athlete, as well as the most google searches amongst current fighters.

3. Boxing pay structure is far different from the UFC. Hence why despite doing higher PPV numbers, UFC headliners will still get paid less. When McGregor went to boxing, he got a $100 million dollar payout. He went back to MMA and got around $25-50 million. The UFC fighters only get paid 18% of the share.

This is interesting I guess
View attachment 880292

4. I'm not sure where this conversation is going simply because the topic of the thread was PPV buys. UFC is currently selling higher PPVs on average than boxing. The thread wasn't about viewing figures, and that's mainly because UFC and Boxing don't have any similarities in that field. They don't show Free TV fights for Conor McGregor in Ireland, or Israel Adesanya in New Zealand. So it's not something that can be compared. Only PPV vs PPV can be (right now).

So overall, my argument is that UFC has been doing better PPV numbers lately, and your argument is that Boxing's viewing figures are higher. Both are true, but not necessarily for reasons of popularity, but rather because the system in which they sell their product is different. Is that something we can agree on?
Forbes points out "Due to the Saunders fight happening, Canelo will be around the top for the 2022 list"

Canelo made more money fighting than Conor did. Conor only made $22m from the UFC. It has Canelo at $32M. Which is what were talking about.
Conor made $158M (supposedly) from selling Proper 12. Which is why he topped the list and is a one off.
Selling your whiskey has nothing to do with MMA vs Boxing payout. You tried to fuckin worm that little shit factoid through like no one would notice but your talking to a guy who lives off this.
What are you gonna say in 6 months when Conor doesnt crack the list and Canelo tops it off purely boxing money, just like Floyd did.
I tell where this convos going, right here "Boxing is a bigger and more popular sport than MMA. Viewership is bigger and the money is bigger."
No one gives a fuck If ppl searched "Conors broken Ankle" 6million times on Google to laugh about it.
When it came to viewership, Canelo and boxing beats the UFC, Conor, and MMA as a whole.
And Conor can have all of Ireland watch him and it wouldnt be more than Canelo. He could have Ireland and Scotland all together and it wouldnt be more than Canelos viewership. Those countries are smaller than Mexico City alone you idiot.
Canelo viewership in Mexico adds up to around half of the entire population of the United Kindom.
And Dana got most of that $100M. Ask @RR

Also Conors done. Do u think hes gonna come back and dominate? No. Hes gonna get pummeled again and retire. Canelo gots another 7 years ahead of him. Conor has one fight left in him. So wheres the future? Not that guy selling liquor to make ends meet.

View attachment 880216
View attachment 880218

Oh and you brought up ONE claiming 85m through out Asia. Which is horseshit. Zou Shimings pro boxing debut fight did 300m in China according to numerous sources.
I'd say they are both full of shit

Forbes points out "Due to the Saunders fight happening, Canelo will be around the top for the 2022 list"

Canelo made more money fighting than Conor did. Conor only made $22m from the UFC. It has Canelo at $32M. Which is what were talking about.
Conor made $158M (supposedly) from selling Proper 12. Which is why he topped the list and is a one off.
Selling your whiskey has nothing to do with MMA vs Boxing payout. You tried to fuckin worm that little shit factoid through like no one would notice but your talking to a guy who lives off this.
What are you gonna say in 6 months when Conor doesnt crack the list and Canelo tops it off purely boxing money, just like Floyd did.
I tell where this convos going, right here "Boxing is a bigger and more popular sport than MMA. Viewership is bigger and the money is bigger."
No one gives a fuck If ppl searched "Conors broken Ankle" 6million times on Google to laugh about it.
When it came to viewership, Canelo and boxing beats the UFC, Conor, and MMA as a whole.
And Conor can have all of Ireland watch him and it wouldnt be more than Canelo. He could have Ireland and Scotland all together and it wouldnt be more than Canelos viewership. Those countries are smaller than Mexico City alone you idiot.
Canelo viewership in Mexico adds up to around half of the entire population of the United Kindom.
And Dana got most of that $100M. Ask @RR

Also Conors done. Do u think hes gonna come back and dominate? No. Hes gonna get pummeled again and retire. Canelo gots another 7 years ahead of him. Conor has one fight left in him. So wheres the future? Not that guy selling liquor to make ends meet.

Thread topic: PPV buys
Your argument: Free TV Viewership
UFC: Doesn't have Free TV
Canelo's fights: Free TV in Mexico

I still don't see the logic in this. Why would we compare this when they aren't on the same platform. There's a reason I originally compared PPVs. It's because they're both on the same model. PPV vs PPV can be compared. PPV & Free TV viewers can't be compared.

When we compare two things that Boxing & UFC have in common, the UFC has shown higher numbers recently.

To showcase that the boxing model for purses is better & higher, you can easily just compare Masvidal vs Usman 2 & Paul vs Woodley

Paul & Woodley purse: $2 million each
Masvidal & Usman purse: $750,000 for Usman, and $500,000 for Masvidal

Paul & Woodley PPV Numbers: 500k
Masvidal & Usman PPV numbers: 700k

So simply because a fighter gets paid more, it doesn't mean that they're more popular.

2017 forbes:
Conor McGregor #24
Canelo Alvarez #43

2018 forbes:
Conor McGregor #4
Canelo Alvarez #15

2019 forbes:
No full list given, but Canelo above McGregor

2020 forbes:
Conor McGregor #16
Canelo Alvarez (outside of top 20)

2021 forbes:
Conor McGregor #1
Canelo #48

Interesting.

upload_2021-9-18_3-56-46.png

And to prove it's not people looking up "Conor McGregor's broke ankle", I typed in "how to watch conor mcgregor vs dustin poirier" & "how to watch canelo alvarez vs billy joe saunders" which is what people would look up pre-fight. The same results reflected in "Conor mcgregor vs dustin poirier PPV" vs "Canelo alvarez vs billy joe saunders DAZN"

upload_2021-9-18_4-20-12.png

I want to also clarify that I never said MMA was more popular than boxing, or vice versa. I simply compared the PPV numbers and said that the UFC is surging & growing in popularity.

Thread topic: PPV buys
Your argument: Free TV Viewership
UFC: Doesn't have Free TV
Canelo's fights: Free TV in Mexico

I still don't see the logic in this. Why would we compare this when they aren't on the same platform. There's a reason I originally compared PPVs. It's because they're both on the same model. PPV vs PPV can be compared. PPV & Free TV viewers can't be compared.

When we compare two things that Boxing & UFC have in common, the UFC has shown higher numbers recently.

To showcase that the boxing model for purses is better & higher, you can easily just compare Masvidal vs Usman 2 & Paul vs Woodley

Paul & Woodley purse: $2 million each
Masvidal & Usman purse: $750,000 for Usman, and $500,000 for Masvidal

Paul & Woodley PPV Numbers: 500k
Masvidal & Usman PPV numbers: 700k

So simply because a fighter gets paid more, it doesn't mean that they're more popular.

2017 forbes:
Conor McGregor #24
Canelo Alvarez #43

2018 forbes:
Conor McGregor #4
Canelo Alvarez #15

2019 forbes:
No full list given, but Canelo above McGregor

2020 forbes:
Conor McGregor #16
Canelo Alvarez (outside of top 20)

2021 forbes:
Conor McGregor #1
Canelo #48

Interesting.

View attachment 880319

And to prove it's not people looking up "Conor McGregor's broke ankle", I typed in "how to watch conor mcgregor vs dustin poirier" & "how to watch canelo alvarez vs billy joe saunders" which is what people would look up pre-fight. The same results reflected in "Conor mcgregor vs dustin poirier PPV" vs "Canelo alvarez vs billy joe saunders DAZN"

View attachment 880321

I want to also clarify that I never said MMA was more popular than boxing, or vice versa. I simply compared the PPV numbers and said that the UFC is surging & growing in popularity.
We all know where to watch Canelo. No one knows where to watch Conor that's why they looked it up.
Who the fuck would look that up besides an idiot. Like I said 15m subscribers to DAZN, I dont need to look up where Canelos fighting I know wheres he at.
And Google means nothing again. Viewership means who the fuck actually watched and Canelo is leagues above Conor.
And soon as Canelo pelts Caleb Plant away that's the end of PPV for those guys.
Wilder-Fury III will be on PPV because PBC and Top Rank dont give a shit about the fans but the more their champions lose, the more we shift away from PPV.
Also TV ratings in America, boxing beats the UFC.
Theres that too for comparison.
The UFC lives off the PPV.
Their numbers for ESPN+...garbage

We all know where to watch Canelo. No one knows where to watch Conor that's why they looked it up.
Who the fuck would look that up besides an idiot. Like I said 15m subscribers to DAZN, I dont need to look up where Canelos fighting I know wheres he at.
And Google means nothing again. Viewership means who the fuck actually watched and Canelo is leagues above Conor.
And soon as Canelo pelts Caleb Plant away that's the end of PPV for those guys.
Wilder-Fury III will be on PPV because PBC and Top Rank dont give a shit about the fans but the more their champions lose, the more we shift away from PPV.
Also TV ratings in America, boxing beats the UFC.
Theres that too for comparison.
The UFC lives off the PPV.
Their numbers for ESPN+...garbage

I mean most people know UFC PPVs are exclusive to ESPN+ at this point. DAZN includes several other massive global sports as I referenced earlier.

Yes, of course Canelo's Free TV viewership is leagues above somebody who doesn't fight on free TV.

This is what that sounds like. UFC on Fox 1 did 5.7 million viewers. It was headlined by Cain Velasquez. Using that comparison you made, Cain Velasquez is leagues above Conor McGregor because Conor has never done 5.7 million viewers on Free TV.

The reality is, Conor has just never fought on Free TV after gaining traction in his career.

To conclude this: UFC PPV numbers are higher than Boxing's (as of late) due to the fact that boxing is shifting away from the model. On top of that, Boxing's free TV viewership is higher than the UFC, partly due to the fact that UFC's model is based around ESPN+ & not putting big fights on free TV. Is that at least something we can agree on? I like Canelo & I like Conor. Both have made massive impacts on their sports. I'm sure there's a point in which we can agree on here.

I mean most people know UFC PPVs are exclusive to ESPN+ at this point. DAZN includes several other massive global sports as I referenced earlier.

Yes, of course Canelo's Free TV viewership is leagues above somebody who doesn't fight on free TV.

This is what that sounds like. UFC on Fox 1 did 5.7 million viewers. It was headlined by Cain Velasquez. Using that comparison you made, Cain Velasquez is leagues above Conor McGregor because Conor has never done 5.7 million viewers on Free TV.

The reality is, Conor has just never fought on Free TV after gaining traction in his career.

To conclude this: UFC PPV numbers are higher than Boxing's (as of late) due to the fact that boxing is shifting away from the model. On top of that, Boxing's free TV viewership is higher than the UFC, partly due to the fact that UFC's model is based around ESPN+ & not putting big fights on free TV. Is that at least something we can agree on? I like Canelo & I like Conor. Both have made massive impacts on their sports. I'm sure there's a point in which we can agree on here.
I can agree with that.
I just looked up Pacquiao-Ugas ppv numbers and saw it was an abysmal 250k. Theres no excuse for that and apparently it was one of his lowest viewed fights in the Phillipines as well.
I thought hed do at least 400k.
250k for a name like Mannys is pure shit

I can agree with that.
I just looked up Pacquiao-Ugas ppv numbers and saw it was an abysmal 250k. Theres no excuse for that and apparently it was one of his lowest viewed fights in the Phillipines as well.
I thought hed do at least 400k.
250k for a name like Mannys is pure shit

Yeah it makes me curious as to how well Fury Wilder 3 will do on PPV. It’s always going to be an intriguing fight, but due to the fact that fans thought they were getting Fury vs AJ, they’re not overly excited about the trilogy.

Back