Paul Felder has a message for whiny UFC fans complaining about Gaethje callout: Shut the **** up.

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
In a follow-up interview with MMA Junkie, Felder said he sought his ESPN producer’s opinion about mentioning himself as a potential opponent for Gaethje and received the go-ahead. For him, it wasn’t just a logical question given their respective rankings, but a matter of integrity.

“I feel like what I did was more respectful, because I mentioned his name,” Felder said. “His name has come out of my mouth when he’s not around, so when he’s there, it would be unprofessional and cowardly of me to not say the same thing to his face that I had already said on camera with the UFC.”

Felder doesn’t fault Gaethje for thinking he was trying to steal the spotlight. But after receiving dozens of hateful messages on Twitter, he’s fed up with criticism he sees as misguided.

“I get where Justin is coming from,” he said. “It’s just everybody else that needs to shut the (expletive) up. Justin is a fighter. He just knocked out an opponent – I might be like, ‘Hey, let me have my moment.’ That’s fine for him.

“I had to do what I had to do, and he’s going to react the way he’s going to react. I have no problem with him being like, ‘They tried to steal my moment.’ Maybe we got a little carried away when it kept going on. But I just wanted to say, ‘I’d love to fight you. It’s going to happen now, or it’s going to happen later.’ That’s the part that I don’t see how it could be a big deal.”

Bryant, who pointed out Felder’s immediate proximity to Gaethje in the UFC rankings, indicated her questions about the matchup were driven by ESPN.

“My favorite part is how people don’t think we have executive producers who lead the show and tell us what to talk about/ask… I just freestyle whatever I want on these shows!” Bryant wrote on Twitter.

Bryant was not immediately available for comment when contacted by MMA Junkie.

Gaethje’s reaction to the questions wasn’t the first time he’s gotten salty with questions from the media. In the same interview he gave after his appearance on the UFC on ESPN 2 post-fight show, he told MMA Junkie “You’re doing it again” after being asked about the Felder matchup.

Earlier in the week, he was irritated by headlines that came out of a pre-fight interview in which he expressed a desire to rematch Dustin Poirier. He also acknowledged such headlines were a part of the deal, but resolved to stay more tight-lipped about his intentions.

In his post-fight speech, Gaethje criticized UFC official rankings that had him trailing perennial contender Donald Cerrone. So the introduction of a graphic showing him as the No. 8 lightweight ahead of No. 9 Felder wasn’t exactly welcome news.

“Now it is (at No. 8), because they keep dropping me down after winning,” Gaethje said.

Bryant replied, “You’re telling me that his spinning elbows and your style of fight wouldn’t make for …”

“You like this guy don’t you?” Gaethje continued. “Don’t get him beat up.”

“C’mon, now,” Felder interjected.

There were laughs all around, and Gaethje continued discussing his performance. But he also showed he wasn’t completely averse to discussing potential fights. He said showdown with lightweight champ Khabib Nurmagomedov would prove he’s championship material.

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/03/paul-...stin-gaethje-interview-after-ufc-philadelphia

Talk about mountains and molehills.

Yes, something he said caused internet outrage. Give it 2 days.

Always love it when fighters get triggered by social media comments. <Lmaoo>

Well,

I for one would like to see those 2 fight each other more than any other opponent they could take right now. They match up extremely well, and are right next to each other in the rankings.

It makes a lot of sense, and I like that Felder seems to really want that match up extremely badly to prove just how tough he is....

“My favorite part is how people don’t think we have executive producers who lead the show and tell us what to talk about/ask… I just freestyle whatever I want on these shows!” Bryant wrote on Twitter.

Bryant is a UFC shill confirmed.

Haha, so Justin can react however he’s gonna react but nobody else is allowed to? Fuck off with that nonsense.

Terrible commentator who is annoyingly using his platform to call out far better fighters than himself during their best moments. He needs to go away.

I don't think anyone gave that much of a fuck a lot of people were just pointing out how awkward and unprofessional it looked, which it did.

I thought it was a bit of a chuckle myself. Knew it would cause a thread or 2 but not the amount of heat it got.

Terrible commentator who is annoyingly using his platform to call out far better fighters than himself during their best moments. He needs to go away.

Exactly.

He sucks at everything.

Exactly.

He sucks at everything.

He’s 16-4, and except for embarrassing himself against Perry he doesn’t suck at fighting. And what’s wrong with making the call outs? He’s keeping his name out there. It’s not professional but compared to Cormier on the mic. Paul is...

tenor.gif

Felder was completely unprofessional. It was Gaethje's time to call out an opponent and Felder's job to be a commentator. Also doesn't make sense, why would he go from beating Barboza to a lower ranked fighter?

Last edited:
Back