Patterson: Ingemar Johansson hit harder than Sonny Liston

Uhm, Patterson bought a fake mustache ahead of the Liston fight intending to hide from the press after it was over. Patterson respected Liston more than probably anyone and didn't believe he would stand a chance, which he didn't. If Liston punched harder he would have said so.
patterson was a headcase, called "freud" patterson because of this, he was psyched for both fights. Just the image of Liston, who was no slow poke or a one trick pony like Ingo, he was a real good fighter and a great athlete.

Liston, i'll say it again, didn't look to me like he ever landed one clean punch on floyd, yet and still it was enough to put him away in one round. It's possible that Ingo landed a harder right hand and that he was a harder puncher with that one punch, it's also possible that he just caught patterson cleaner, which is what i think. Patterson had no chin and how can a man even remember exactly how hard a punch was when he's out anyway? Cooper said Patterson him him harder than anyone ever, that it was "lights out" as soon as he was hit. It's rare for top fighters to get hit with those kinds of shots but they do happen.

Liston threw a barrage of punches, including to the body, which Patterson could not withstand. It's quite possible that Patterson was weak in the body, relatively speaking..

Wouldn't surprise me. Johansson rarely went full out in sparring, while Patterson was knocking out every single one and was by his own account at his absolute peak. The American press mocked Ingo before the match. Which is strange since Ingo had already demolished the nr 2 fighter (Machen) in the world for a right to fight Patterson.
johansen was trying, no way would he want to be shown up in front of the press, I think he quit in disgust if I'm remembering the story right. I think it was Harold Conrad, old boxing man, who related this to the ali biographer. as for ingo, when asked on espn about the session "could he have beaten you then" Ingo: "no, not at that time" which you'd expect a fighter to say. Ali was already a really good fighter, in top condition and on his way to becoming the best heavyweight ever. So, He probably could have beaten anyone around even at that stage, though he still had some growing and learning to do.

patterson was a headcase, called "freud" patterson because of this, he was psyched for both fights. Just the image of Liston, who was no slow poke or a one trick pony like Ingo, he was a real good fighter and a great athlete.

I think Liston looks very similiar to Foreman, and I don't mean that in a good way... He was reaching for his shots a lot and looked like a fighter from a past century against Ali. He was also slow.

Liston threw a barrage of punches, including to the body, which Patterson could not withstand. It's quite possible that Patterson was weak in the body, relatively speaking..
Patterson froze, and just waited to get kayoed, he said so himself and said he wouldn't do it again, then he did it again. Liston scared the shit out of everyone but Clay in those days. And even ali says he was scared many years later.

Patterson was a quitter, before during and after the fight.....

So you think he is acting when he is walking to his corner after the knockdown, in the middle of the fight, after which he gets floored in a rather savage way, including to the back of the head.

Ingo said the finishing job wasn't pretty and he missed a lot when he got excited, but he wanted Patterson out of there and get his money.

I think Liston looks very similiar to Foreman, and I don't mean that in a good way... He was reaching for his shots a lot and looked like a fighter from a past century against Ali. He was also slow.
not slow, out of shape against ali but not slow, just not fast enough for ali. He was also tired by the third round, watching his earlier fights where he'd beat a guy like machen for 10 rounds, it wasn't even comparable. He understimated Clay like everyone else, everyone, that's still one of the greatest upsets in boxing history. no one gave clay a chance but clay and his corner. The patterson/liston fight is similar to the foreman/frazier fight in that a guy with a good weight advantage just bludgeons the smaller man with glancing blows and takes him out. Patterson was a fine fighter, probably could have been an atg at lightheavy or even middle as some people thought he could shrivel down to, he didn't, he wanted the big bucks of the heavyweights. give him his due, ali called him the best boxer he ever fought, not bad for a guy who's left off of every list you can think of. good fighter. as for ingo? we know about him, a one trick pony, a pawing left hand, a left hook that tried to corral a man into the bingo punch, his personal life and love of women was well known, looking at the old shows you could see he was quite a handsome man and women are never good for the boxer's life.

naw, i think it's more accurate to just say he was psyched, it's a little different but similar to "quitting" some fighters just do it for another, I always thought Duran was psyched by Hearns but not by anyone else he ever fought. You can't fight your best when you're already convinced you'll get killed.

another strange thing about both patterson and ingo is that they both were said to have pugilistica dementia even though they both were sharp as a tack up to the age of about 70, it shows how you never can tell when the side effects of the sport will show themselves.

as for ingo? we know about him, a one trick pony, a pawing left hand, a left hook that tried to corral a man into the bingo punch, his personal life and love of women was well known, looking at the old shows you could see he was quite a handsome man and women are never good for the boxer's life.

He looked to have good head movement/defence to me. The things against him is the innocious left jab, which was good enough as a distraction and feint for the right hand. But he admitted that he need it to get through. He wasn't a good enough boxer to otherwise land his right.

another strange thing about both patterson and ingo is that they both were said to have pugilistica dementia even though they both were sharp as a tack up to the age of about 70, it shows how you never can tell when the side effects of the sport will show themselves.

That is quite mysterious...

"freud" patterson"! LMAO! Never heard that one. It's clever!

"freud" patterson"! LMAO! Never heard that one. It's clever!
ya, i first heard it in SI's obit on floyd, oddly, he was very, very popular in his time (60's, early 70's) and is overlooked afterwards. In a cosell book, he called him something like the most popular boxer of his time or somesuch, it made my head tilt like a dog hearing a high pitched whistle, but it sounds like it was true. He did, after all, have the right attitude to please white people, he said all the right things, a sellout, ali called him an uncle tom, it probably suited him better than when he called frazier or terrell a tom. (Frazier, country as he was thought an uncle tom was someone who "peeped in windows").

Chuvalo dropped off a precipitous cliff as well.
his speech is fine, and he was sharp as a tack in the docu made a few years ago, that said, he seemed to be losing his marbles in a more recent interview when asked about tyson, and he responded that tyson could come all the way back if he got serious in training, like he was active or something.

Ingo told hilarious stories coming up through the ranks about opponents who were completely clueless before he KOed them

"I'll take care of that little pussy "

Another one made the request ahead of their fight:

"What hospital do we send Johansson to after I'm done with him?"

Yet neither Liston or Williams could get Machen out there while Johansson floored him right away, and finished him first round.

Patterson was unconsciouss the first time Ingo hit him clean with One punch.. While Liston had to clobber him down with accumulation of punches first time. Big difference.

Patterson said he thought that he was the one who had Koed Ingo and that the round was over, which is why he is heading for his corner. He was completely out of it
Yet Liston got Patterson out of there twice. In 1 round.
Patterson was 2-1 against Ingo.

Its sorta how you can tell Liston hit harder.
Ingo landed a left hook and then a flush right hand, and Ingo did have a great right hand. And it still took a few more knockdowns for Patterson to be out.
But that right hand is what did the job.

Liston just battered Patterson through sheer strength.
There are punches that Liston lands on Pattersons gloves, and use can still see the force affecting Patterson like a battering ram.
I don't think Liston ever landed anything really Flush on Patterson like Ingo did.
But you can see that Listons punchers are just harder and thudding on Patterson.
Patterson had two attempts and never made it 3mins with Liston.

Ingo landed a left hook and then a flush right hand, and Ingo did have a great right hand. And it still took a few more knockdowns for Patterson to be out.

There are punches that Liston lands on Pattersons gloves, and use can still see the force affecting Patterson like a battering ram.
I don't think Liston ever landed anything really Flush on Patterson like Ingo did.
But you can see that Listons punchers are just harder and thudding on Patterson.

Patterson didn't even want to be in there with Liston, just like Spinks against Tyson, and just wanted it over with.

just too small, we've seen it in boxing many times. a guy with a good size advantage can really do a number on a smaller guy just because even glancing blows can hurt them and then the follow up with more glancing blows does the same, so , not as much skill needed to win. Patterson was probably more skilled than just about anyone he fought, no chin and too small though and kind of a headcase.

Back