Patterson: Ingemar Johansson hit harder than Sonny Liston

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
- "How hard was his punch compared to Liston’s, for example?”

- “Harder but different,” Floyd explained. It was then that he gave his insight into Johansson’s deceiving power. “No one, and I mean no one, hit me harder than Ingemar with that right hand. His right hand would knock you unconscious and was very difficult to recover from, it was so hard. It was so hard that on his best night he could knock out anyone with it if he trained right all the time.”

I
ngo also scored a first round victory over Eddie Machen, one of the craftiest and most sophisticated of heavyweight boxers, who nullified all the power of Sonny Liston over twelve rounds.

Reflecting on Johansson’s climb up the ladder, Ron Lipton says

“I knew Eddie Machen went the distance with Cleveland Williams and Sonny Liston and was one of the best heavyweights of his time. When Ingemar took him out in one round a year after stopping Henry Cooper, it was an all-time showstopper for me. Ingemar knocked down Machen three times in one round.”

Is Johansson's punching power underrated in HW boxing history?

He’s often listen on expanded hardest punchers ever. Had a lower ko rate that others- in part due to history of hand problems and suspect training.

He’s often listen on expanded hardest punchers ever. Had a lower ko rate that others- in part due to history of hand problems and suspect training.

99 on a 100 list is not that good though

Number one on nicknames for his punch. “Hammer of Thor”

And yet he was very conservative. He could go rounds without firing it. Very peculiar fighter. One would think he would spam it considering that they couldn't take it.

Boxers often praise opponents that gave them a hard time but that they ultimately beat. It's a subtle way of praising themselves.

Toonder and Lightning
Ingos Bingo
Hammer of Thor

His right hand had 3 different names so it was respected.
But he didnt hit harder than Liston.
And Floyd lost to Liston twice. Both by KO. Both in the first round.

Toonder and Lightning
Ingos Bingo
Hammer of Thor

His right hand had 3 different names so it was respected.
But he didnt hit harder than Liston.
And Floyd lost to Liston twice. Both by KO. Both in the first round.
Yet neither Liston or Williams could get Machen out there while Johansson floored him right away, and finished him first round.

Patterson was unconsciouss the first time Ingo hit him clean with One punch.. While Liston had to clobber him down with accumulation of punches first time. Big difference.

Patterson said he thought that he was the one who had Koed Ingo and that the round was over, which is why he is heading for his corner. He was completely out of it

To me it didn't look like list on landed clean on Patterson.

highly intelligent guy, i used to love watching his interviews in the 80's, he and patterson would run in the same marathons too and even though he didn't look it, he'd come in ahead of patterson, big gut and all. word was that he was quite the ladies man. another great anectdote is how he was made a fool of in sparring by a young 19 or 20 year old cassius clay who had made a habit of embarrasing good pros going back to his smacking willie pastrano around when he was 17.

another great anectdote is how he was made a fool of in sparring by a young 19 or 20 year old cassius clay who had made a habit of embarrasing good pros going back to his smacking willie pastrano around when he was 17.

Wouldn't surprise me. Johansson rarely went full out in sparring, while Patterson was knocking out every single one and was by his own account at his absolute peak. The American press mocked Ingo before the match. Which is strange since Ingo had already demolished the nr 2 fighter (Machen) in the world for a right to fight Patterson.

To me it didn't look like list on landed clean on Patterson.

Patterson was completely out of it by his own account and didn't know what was going on. And that was the very first one that didn't land on the top of his head, but clean on the intended target.

It is very rare with one punch dudes like Ingemar.

Floyd might be right but I see the obvious bias of Floyd hyping up the guy he beat(and who he alone beat) over the guy he didn't(and was nowhere close to beating). Might have been Sonny's 13 inch reach advantage rather than his power but Floyd is not a disinterested party in this debate.

Floyd might be right but I see the obvious bias of Floyd hyping up the guy he beat(and who he alone beat) over the guy he didn't(and was nowhere close to beating). Might have been Sonny's 13 inch reach advantage rather than his power but Floyd is not a disinterested party in this debate.

Uhm, Patterson bought a fake mustache ahead of the Liston fight intending to hide from the press after it was over. Patterson respected Liston more than probably anyone and didn't believe he would stand a chance, which he didn't. If Liston punched harder he would have said so.

Liston, i'll say it again, didn't look to me like he ever landed one clean punch on floyd, yet and still it was enough to put him away in one round. It's possible that Ingo landed a harder right hand and that he was a harder puncher with that one punch, it's also possible that he just caught patterson cleaner, which is what i think. Patterson had no chin and how can a man even remember exactly how hard a punch was when he's out anyway? Cooper said Patterson him him harder than anyone ever, that it was "lights out" as soon as he was hit. It's rare for top fighters to get hit with those kinds of shots but they do happen.

Back