Pattern welded Seax by Owen Bush

Einar

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This is a broken back seax, (no Heath Ledger jokes, please) a very popular knife in the british isles during the viking age. This is my first blade from Owen, but I suspect it wont be my last. :) http://owenbush.co.uk/

20131008_231723_zps2fa403dc.jpg

Copied from the description on Owen website:

This is a 6 bar broken back seax blade.

Constructed from vintage wrought iron, then 3 twisted bars of 15 layer, then wrought iron and finally 700 layers of piled steel at the edge.

Materials: Vintage wrought iron 15N20 nickel steel and EN42.

The blade is 13 inches long, 9mm at broken back and 6mm thick at the tang.

I'm a real sucker for twisted bar pattern welding, and it really looks great on this blade I think.

This thing is THICK. Viewed from the spine it looks absolutely massive but as soon as you turn it just a little bit, the elegance of the design takes over. It has a triangular crossection from spine to edge, which takes a lot of the weight off. The pattern welding is beautifully done and the wrought iron makes a nice, subtle contrast between the twisted bars and the piled edge steel.

Its also razor sharp, easily shaved the hair off my forearm. Couldnt be smoother if I waxed it.

Going to start making a hilt for it soon. Trying to come up with something that will do it justice. There are very few historical examples of surviving seax hilts. Usually, only the blade remains.

20131008_231632_zps562ea559.jpg

20131009_144602_zps0d554673.jpg

20131009_145452_zpsfa884d5e.jpg

20131009_145530_zps6d863310.jpg

great looking blade. Make sure to update when you have a handle picked out. Are you planning on making/carving your own?

great looking blade. Make sure to update when you have a handle picked out. Are you planning on making/carving your own?

Yes I'm going to make it myself. I have very little experience with woodcarving though, so I should keep things simple. Or not...

Just checked that guy's website, he has some amazing designs for everything.

If you don't mind my asking, what did that run you price wise?

Damn that is a beautiful blade, and so thick at the spine! How much does the blade weigh?

Browsing through that guy's website, he's got some good-looking stuff on there. Wish he lived nearby me, taking a blade smithing class would be awesome.

Damn that is a beautiful blade, and so thick at the spine! How much does the blade weigh?

Browsing through that guy's website, he's got some good-looking stuff on there. Wish he lived nearby me, taking a blade smithing class would be awesome.

I dont have scales to weigh it, so i dont know. I'd like to take his bladesmithing class myself. I've seen some impressive results from people on the MyArmoury.com forum who took his class in swordsmithing.

Very nice blade. I have a Scandinavian style sax/seax, more specifically based on a c. 10th century Icelandic find, but have always liked the Anglo-Saxon style broken back saxes too. Frankish style saxes are very nice as well.

Back