1. Walt Harris' daughter is missing around Auburn, Alabama. Please read this thread for more information.

Patrick Day (1992-2019)

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by ReadWrite, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Fedorgasm

Fedorgasm Silver Belt

I read one article that said the back of his head bounced off the canvas hard.

I wonder what could be done to prevent that? Some sort of head gear with padding only on the back of the head maybe? You're not supposed to hit there anyway. Would look pretty ridiculous but if it keeps fighters alive then why not.

That's better than making the canvas softer. That would slow the fighters down too much.

2. Yacob

Yacob WBC Interim Junior Welterweight White Truffle Belt

The hook that knocked him down wasn't a shot that looked out of ordinary....looked like it barely caught the tip of his chin

I don't know if it was an accumulation of past fights and Saturday was the limit....or if it is as simple as his head hitting the canvas

A litle some on the back of the head is theoretically not a bad idea....i just don't know how that'd actually work. It'd have to basically be unnoticeable for pro fighters to wear it

3. TGArthur

TGArthur You can't lose if you win the fight.

I just read the news. Really sad to hear.

4. Fedorgasm

Fedorgasm Silver Belt

Yeah I was thinking something like this. These are to keep your ears warm, but something that kind of looks like this, that won't obstruct vision but adds just a small piece of foam to the back of your head.

So sad this guy was only 27

[​IMG]

Yacob likes this.
  5. Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

That's fucking sad.

Mr.Maelstrom likes this.
  6. Rob-G

Rob-G Blue Belt

I watched it live. Heartbreaking. I’m sure he’ll be in Charles Conwell’s corner for every fight rooting for him. Rip Champ

Yacob likes this.
  7. Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

His opponent is understandably upset and bothered. Such a tragic situation.

Yari likes this.
  8. Yacob

I don't think they'd go for that to be honest...it looks too much like amateur headgear

9. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Steel Belt

Damn, I'm a pretty desensitized person, but that one almost made me tear up.

Mr.Maelstrom, Yari and Yacob like this.
  10. Blazeblack

Blazeblack Green Belt

Shit, RIP. That’s awful for all involved.

11. TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle

TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle Purple Belt

RIP. Not even 3 months removed from the Dadashev incident.

12. Boxer

Boxer Brown Belt

Does anyone think cutting weight may of had something to do with it?

As some of said, the punch didn't look out of the ordinary, it wasn't like a Tyson smash to the face, I've seen a lot worse.

Tbf he didn't take the first knock down very well either, are we sure dehydration and depleting the body to cut wasn't at play here?

Its the plague of this generations athletes doing that stupid sh*t, should be outlawed, you can't ask the body to go to war when 12 hrs ago you were completely raked of water and nutrients, suicidal.

13. bjpennlwgoat

bjpennlwgoat Blue Belt

Damn. He was a warrior.
    R.I.P. champ

14. GoatArtemLobov

GoatArtemLobov Orange Belt

I think what killed him was the accumulation of punches and the dehydration due to weight cutting.
    I Don't think the hook and even the bounce of the canvas are enough to create that much brain damage.
    I personnally felt faint on a ladder three months ago and fall from a 8 feet height head first on concrete, and I was out for 5 minutes and got away with "only" cerebral contusions and mild brain damage.
    RIP champ, RIP warrior.

15. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

16. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

Too much padding on the temple and ear, may as well wear amateur style headgear.

17. Yacob

As dumb is it may sound....i think how it looks would be a huge factor

From a couple perspectives....

1. From a promoters standpoint....Biggest concern for better or worse is how casual fans adjust. We know people like you and i will still watch.....but what about the 80% or so that doesn't live and breathe boxing? Would they be turned off? Why do they actually watch boxing in the first place?

These questions have humongous financial implications. Everyone would want to know the answers before a big decision or else they could be hurting the sport...and their own careers.

2. Fighters themselves. It has to be comfortable. It'd have to basically be so they didn't notice it was there....or else i doubt they'd go for it.

The dark reality is every fighter knows this can happen. We also have to ask those moral questions like "should they be allowed to put themselves in danger like this?" Personally my answer is yes, probably yours too. Boxing saves more lives than it destroys. For a lot of us...this boxing shit is the only way we get out of our situation. To improve the lives of your loved ones....THIS is it.

Its an interesting discussion. A sad one due to Mr Day's passing...but perhaps necessary, if nothing else than to remind ourselves why people do this. It's bigger than fighting someone. It's much bigger.

18. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

I don't think it sounds dumb at all.

I just think we shouldn't be too hasty, at the risk of repeating myself on this topic, the sport is dangerous and thats part of why we watch it. That said, death in the ring is still relatively rare. I don't really want to make a bunch of changes to the sport based on emotion. I'd be OK with maybe some sort of adhesive pad on the back of the head, not sure if something like that is possible, but something that covers any part of the scoring zone on the body is a bad idea.

Yacob likes this.
  19. SandisLL

SandisLL Green Belt

20. aries

aries Silver Belt

Very sad news. I was hoping he'd pull through somehow. RIP.