Patrick Day (1992-2019)

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Patrick_Day.jpg

Patrick Day passed away today, October 16, 2019, succumbing to the traumatic brain injury he suffered in his fight this past Saturday, October 12, at the Wintrust Arena in Chicago, IL.

He was surrounded by his family, close friends and members of his boxing team, including his mentor, friend and trainer, Joe Higgins. On behalf of Patrick’s family, team, and those closest to him, we are grateful for the prayers, expressions of support and outpouring of love for Pat that have been so obvious since his injury.

Before establishing himself as a world-class professional fighter, Pat was a highly decorated amateur. He won two Nationals titles, the New York Golden Gloves tournament and was an Olympic Team alternate, all in 2012.

Day turned pro in 2013 and overcame early career struggles to become a world-rated super welterweight contender. He captured the WBC Continental Americas championship in 2017 and the IBF Intercontinental championship in 2019. In June 2019, he was rated in the top-10 by both the WBC and IBF.

He was also a dedicated college student, having earned an Associate’s degree in Food and Nutrition from Nassau Community College and, subsequently, a Bachelor’s degree in Health and Wellness from Kaplan University. He was a son, brother, and good friend to many.

Pat’s kindness, positivity, and generosity of spirit made a lasting impression with everyone he met. During his short life, boxing allowed Patrick to impact many communities, both big and small. In his hometown of Freeport, Long Island, he was a beacon of light and the star pupil at the Freeport PAL, the gym he trained in from the moment he began boxing until the last bout of his career. He was recognized as one of Long Island’s finest professional fighters for years. He was a fixture in the boxing community throughout New York City. Patrick was even known in Japan, which he visited to spar with his friend and colleague, world champion Ryota Murata.

-- DiBella Entertainment

Last edited:
Damn. Gone far too young.

RIP young warrior, RIP.

Rest in Peace. Terrible news, thoughts are with his family

So sad. Read the tweets from his opponent too, awful. Must feel terrible.

I remember routing for Adames in his fight against Day months ago, I wanted him to impress me with a KO hoping he’d help put the DR on the map. As the fight progressed I saw him struggle to really hurt Day and remember thinking “shit this kid is tough asf but he’s taking too many big shots” and just ended up enjoying the fight and giving Day lots of props.

This has really hit hard, seeing this kid with so much grit and determination just taking everything Adames had for him & to find out he has passed today just really freaking sucks! You could see something wasn’t right when that first right connected and it’s like his body unplugged for a sec and reseted, reminds me of Davey Moores KD of Benitez where you could see him twitching and evidently showing signs of trauma.

This shit sucks man R.I.P Bro :(:(

This is going to deeply affect the guy who fought him last.

RIP hate it when it happens especially when guys are that young.

Rest in peace, goddamn that is sad.

The hurt game is terrifying but these young men, you'll never change their minds. They are gonna be in the ring no matter what.

Link? I can't imagine the heartbreak he's feeling knowing he died at his hands. Poor guy.

This was from before he passed away, but it was pretty clear how badly he struggled with all of it.

2nd person a lot of us have seen die within just a few months

Kinda makes you wonder if it's worth doing honestly

Godspeed, Champ.

RIP

I read one article that said the back of his head bounced off the canvas hard.

I wonder what could be done to prevent that? Some sort of head gear with padding only on the back of the head maybe? You're not supposed to hit there anyway. Would look pretty ridiculous but if it keeps fighters alive then why not.

That's better than making the canvas softer. That would slow the fighters down too much.

Back