Patrício Freire calls out Illinois Athletic Commission and Bellator for not having a doctor on site

jesus. How do you not have a plastic surgeon on site at these events like UFC does?

Man, Patricky has fought for Bellator since I was a kid basically. Him and his brother. They've represented the promotion well and they deserve better. Patricky was disrespected by the promotion, the commission, the oddsmakers, the media, the fans, you name it and they were against Patricky. I wanted to see him prove them wrong but sadly he did not. I wish they'd at least treated him better. He has earned that and all these incredible athletes have.

Man, Patricky has fought for Bellator since I was a kid basically. Him and his brother. They've represented the promotion well and they deserve better. Patricky was disrespected by the promotion, the commission, the oddsmakers, the media, the fans, you name it and they were against Patricky. I wanted to see him prove them wrong but sadly he did not. I wish they'd at least treated him better. He has earned that and all these incredible athletes have.
Thankfully I have to imagine he's been better compensated through Bellator than he ever would have been through the UFC.

Thankfully I have to imagine he's been better compensated through Bellator than he ever would have been through the UFC.

Oh absolutely, it's rare that I find myself criticizing Bellator with genuine venom. It's an all-the-time thing with the UFC.

Embarrassing. I was in my cousins corner for a small town mma event and his eyebrow got busted open. Even in this small event they instantly had someone to stitch him up

Last edited:
?Stiches do not get sewn on site??

Cutman will seal the cut but not sew.

"Cutmen should not be confused with the fight physician, an official who monitors the health of the fighters and whose task is closer to that of a neutral referee. The fight physician provides medical advice, monitors the safety of both fighters in accordance with regulations or law, and evaluates their ability to continue fighting."

The fight physician may stop the fight and declare that the injured fighter has lost the match. Physicians also will stop a match for a laceration that is perpendicular to the eye. Is this what he meant? Someone to stop the fight?

This seems more a hospital blame...

Well what do you expect from Scott Coker??????????????????

Anybody that knows how he operates know he operates on shoe string budget and many things get overlooked and it will just all be blamed on miscommunication or misunderstanding on some part.

Besides Bellator the IAC should be ashamed of themselves and I can hardly believe an MMA event of any size can be sanction without medical staff on site in any state in 2022.

So I listened to the Morning Kombat podcast,

• Luke Thomas reached out to both sides
  • There was a doctor on site, however the doctor looked at the cut and said it required deep tissue stitching, which can only be done at the hospital
  • The doctor on site called ahead to the hospital to get the surgical tech ready, so he could get care immediately
  • For some reason, that didn’t happen when he arrived to hospital, so they had to wair
  • When the surgical tech arrived, he decided that the deep stitching wasn’t necessary

• There was a doctor on site, however the doctor looked at the cut and said it required deep tissue stitching, which can only be done at the hospital
  • The doctor on site called ahead to the hospital to get the surgical tech ready, so he could get care immediately
  • For some reason, that didn’t happen when he arrived to hospital, so they had to wair
  • When the surgical tech arrived, he decided that the deep stitching wasn’t necessary

Great investigative reporting and follow up

So, it sounds like no one was willing to risk being blamed for doing the wrong thing, so that hideous cut just sat there for hours. Typical of US medical establishment.

I'd like to hear a response from Bellator...this really makes them look amateur.

They are a very distant 2nd place behind UFC so its not surprising. A fighter complained that he had to sell 1000 tickets or fight for $400. The UFC has cornered the MMA market.

So, incompetent doctor? Lazy doctor? Understandable mistake?

So, incompetent doctor? Lazy doctor? Understandable mistake?

I guess we really wont know unless someone talks to the on-site doctor but most likely he determined the cut needed more treatment than just stitches and didnt want to take on that liability. Pitbull is seeing the US medical system in effect: doctors skirting responsibility, long wait times in the ER, and soon he will see the hospital bill.

I guess we really wont know unless someone talks to the on-site doctor but most likely he determined the cut needed more treatment than just stitches and didnt want to take on that liability. Pitbull is seeing the US medical system in effect: doctors skirting responsibility, long wait times in the ER, and soon he will see the hospital bill.
I agree with most of this, but Bellator won't be covering the bill?

I was upset reading this, but apparently it was an oversight at the hospital and not as much bellator like stated above.

Still raises the question of why there isn't more medical resources at these events.

Back