Patong Boxing Gym ????

God I miss Nai Harn beach ;)

Thanks for the input guys. I've been to Fairtex Bangplee(great), TMT(overpopulated) and Phuket Dragon(awesome private lessons) and plan on trying PBG next time I get out there. Unfortunately, I don't think it's gonna be any time soon, unless I sell my house and go awol.

A little of topic but since we're talking nice beaches, has anyone gone sea canoeing in the Phang Nga? It's a must see!!! Highly recommend it! John Gray's sea canoes, two thumbs up!

What's at Nai Harn beach?

Been to Phuket a bit, and trained at Jitti in Bangkok last time - as someone said it's so polluted there, and was hoping to 'holiday' a bit more this time so heading to Phuket.

I'm considering Patong Boxing Gym / Sinbi / Rawai, anyone know of a decent cheap place I can stay for a week out there? Just going to book my first night and then find somewhere afterwards. Maybe even do a couple of BJJ privates at TMT.

Regarding islands, anyone done any training on Ko Phangan or Ko Phi Phi? Been to Phangan before but didn't train, wasn't too populated which was nice.

What's at Nai Harn beach?

Been to Phuket a bit, and trained at Jitti in Bangkok last time - as someone said it's so polluted there, and was hoping to 'holiday' a bit more this time so heading to Phuket.

I'm considering Patong Boxing Gym / Sinbi / Rawai, anyone know of a decent cheap place I can stay for a week out there? Just going to book my first night and then find somewhere afterwards. Maybe even do a couple of BJJ privates at TMT.

Regarding islands, anyone done any training on Ko Phangan or Ko Phi Phi? Been to Phangan before but didn't train, wasn't too populated which was nice.

I didn't train there but the one gym in ban tai looked alright, kinda small. Not that it says anything but i was watching some of the thai guys run and the one guy had the most massive thighs i've ever seen haha.

i spent 2 months at pbg. Its a good gym, they actually get a decent amount of alright forengiers that come through there. None of them really spar or clinch though...but tawatchai is usually always ready to clinch. You have to work yourself there though. no one is going to make you train hard. Lots of people just come in hit the pads and leave....if that's what you want to do cool.

also...just my opinion. but coming to thailand and paying x amount already to train and then paying for privates is fucking retarded. I would never go to a gym here that ran that kind of system.

I didn't train there but the one gym in ban tai looked alright, kinda small. Not that it says anything but i was watching some of the thai guys run and the one guy had the most massive thighs i've ever seen haha.

i spent 2 months at pbg. Its a good gym, they actually get a decent amount of alright forengiers that come through there. None of them really spar or clinch though...but tawatchai is usually always ready to clinch. You have to work yourself there though. no one is going to make you train hard. Lots of people just come in hit the pads and leave....if that's what you want to do cool.

also...just my opinion. but coming to thailand and paying x amount already to train and then paying for privates is fucking retarded. I would never go to a gym here that ran that kind of system.

Thanks for the detailed reply bro - to be honest, to improve most I need sparring I think, and I love clinch work, so it's put a bit of a :icon_neut on PBG now lol. I've only got a week but I do want to train hard while I am there! Got no problem asking people to work in though so that sounds good - how about sparring with the trainers?

Did you fight out there? Did their fighters / trainers fight?

Basically, I've got into bjj quite heavily - went to thai for a couple of weeks in november last year, only trained Thai about 5 times since then, whereas I've been at 2/3 bjj classes a week. Hence, getting some grappling privates would suit me fine (mainly because I don't really want the expense and all that of Tiger) but I completely understand where you're coming from.

edit: did you stay there for 2 months? I ideally want to find somewhere within walking distance, but I don't really want to stay 'at the camp', didn't really find sharing a room v enjoyable in Bangkok lol.

I liked Jitti -- nice place. Doesn't sound like there's much someone like you would take away from Rawai MT, though.

I liked Jitti -- nice place. Doesn't sound like there's much someone like you would take away from Rawai MT, though.

Cool, thanks gotobread. Refixed my ideas to consider Sinbi or Dragon, with some bjj at Tiger. Lotta forum love appears to be for Sinbi here. Read good reviews of Dragon. Need to spend more time on MuayThailand reading. Cheers.

Oh how did you find the training at Jitti? I mainly remember Serm, the head trainer dude. He was serious. Also reemmber cameron, the little guy, and a younger guy kinda 'not old' lol, he was a good trainer too.

Regarding clinch training, is it literally you just clinch and clinch and clinch so that' you're getting the feel for it? (didn't do any clinching with Thai's at jitti, just other farang. They had some awesome peopel training there at teh time though which was good.)

Last edited:
A lot of the chatter over at MuayThailand reports mixed reports on both Dragon and Patong Boxing Gym... Main consensus seems to be check out a couple of the gyms when you arrive and decide from there, because for example private training at PBG is great when it's not busy, but useless when it's overbusy... Everyone said Rawai was weak lol!

So my shortlist has changed to

Sinbi
Suwit (guys from home train here a lot, and they are good lol).)

maybe dragon?

nicenice!

TMT(overpopulated)

Im guessing your talking about Tiger mauy thai, I know you've stated its overpopulated but what is the training like?

I'd love to go to thailand one day and train there for a month or so, any info on Por. Pramuk gym?

Cool, thanks gotobread. Refixed my ideas to consider Sinbi or Dragon, with some bjj at Tiger. Lotta forum love appears to be for Sinbi here. Read good reviews of Dragon. Need to spend more time on MuayThailand reading. Cheers.

Oh how did you find the training at Jitti? I mainly remember Serm, the head trainer dude. He was serious. Also reemmber cameron, the little guy, and a younger guy kinda 'not old' lol, he was a good trainer too.

Regarding clinch training, is it literally you just clinch and clinch and clinch so that' you're getting the feel for it? (didn't do any clinching with Thai's at jitti, just other farang. They had some awesome peopel training there at teh time though which was good.)

I've been to Tiger twice and I don't like it at all.

I came to Jitti at a weird time, because they had taken a large number of their fighters over to Cambodia (I think) to fight, so the gym was pretty desolate. Just me, most of the trainers, and two other students. It was nice that way, because I felt like I had the attention of all of the trainers, and it was nice and quiet. The training itself was good, and the students at the time were nice and friendly. So all in all, it was a very good experience. As for clinching, that's always been my experience. I know that at Sinbi, which is where I normally train while in Thailand, they'll have you clinch with almost everyone while they watch. If they see that you're having trouble with something in particular or they think of a move that'll benefit you, they'll stop you and show you.

Thanks for the detailed reply bro - to be honest, to improve most I need sparring I think, and I love clinch work, so it's put a bit of a :icon_neut on PBG now lol. I've only got a week but I do want to train hard while I am there! Got no problem asking people to work in though so that sounds good - how about sparring with the trainers?

Did you fight out there? Did their fighters / trainers fight?

Basically, I've got into bjj quite heavily - went to thai for a couple of weeks in november last year, only trained Thai about 5 times since then, whereas I've been at 2/3 bjj classes a week. Hence, getting some grappling privates would suit me fine (mainly because I don't really want the expense and all that of Tiger) but I completely understand where you're coming from.

edit: did you stay there for 2 months? I ideally want to find somewhere within walking distance, but I don't really want to stay 'at the camp', didn't really find sharing a room v enjoyable in Bangkok lol.

Yeah don't get me wrong, if you want to spar you can spar all the time with your trainer (depending on the trainer) or one of the other trainers. I was just saying most of the students at the gym don't spar or clinch. But for me i don't usually spar or clinch with foreginers anyway unless they are pretty decent (which at alot of these farang based gyms 90% of them aren't, and i don't enjoy getting kicked/kneed in the balls) Yeah some of the trainers still fight, about once every month. yeah i "fought" there. But it's a patong fight...so it was more or less getting in the ring for 2 minutes and collecting my 4000 baht afterwards haha. Anyway...like any gym, if you go there and train hard the trainers are going to look after you pretty good. There's also another gym called singpatong about a 2 minute walk down the street from pbg, you could check that place out too if you want.

hmmm walking distance...there's places around the gym but i'm not sure if the price would be any better than just staying at the gym, you'd have to check the only thing about that is...the gym is in the mountain so there's not really any food options around...your going to have to take a cab or rent a bike or take a long walk into town to eat all the time (at a decent price). you could eat at the gym...but their food gets old real quick. its about 10k a month at the gym, but the rooms are really nice. also the rooms aren't shared at pbg....which honestly is why i went there instead of sinbi. I know you can get cheap places down in the town, 5k a month, probably less if you looked hard enough.

Yeah don't get me wrong, if you want to spar you can spar all the time with your trainer (depending on the trainer) or one of the other trainers. I was just saying most of the students at the gym don't spar or clinch.Yeah some of the trainers still fight, about once every month. yeah i "fought" there. But it's a patong fight...so it was more or less getting in the ring for 2 minutes and collecting my 4000 baht afterwards haha. There's also another gym called singpatong about a 2 minute walk down the street from pbg, you could check that place out too if you want.

hmmm walking distance...there's places around the gym but i'm not sure if the price would be any better than just staying at the gym, you'd have to check the only thing about that is...the gym is in the mountain so there's not really any food options around...your going to have to take a cab or rent a bike or take a long walk into town to eat all the time (at a decent price). you could eat at the gym...but their food gets old real quick. its about 10k a month at the gym, but the rooms are really nice. also the rooms aren't shared at pbg....which honestly is why i went there instead of sinbi. I know you can get cheap places down in the town, 5k a month, probably less if you looked hard enough.

My friend did a little tour (Lanna, Legacy, Tiger, somewhere else) and he hated it, thought it was just a load of posh boys messing around lol, but I spose if you're used to working hard the Tiger atmosphere could be a shock. I did a private with that Yod dude at Tiger, that was freaking awesome. Would definitely like to train with him again lol. Anyways, disgression...

So Jitti wasn't around then? He seems like a nice dude, family / wife were lovely as well. When I was there it was November again, when the amateur MT championships were on - was lucky enough to have a Swedish team there, and they were freaking good. lol. (Think 3 national titles between the 5 or so of them.) Would have to agree the training was good and I got worked hard.

I kinda liken clinch work to Bjj, no matter what people 'tell' you, you only seem to learn it by actually doing it in terms of feel, aside from being shown specific techniques. Problem with this though is I find it hard to see myself 'improving.' Sounds good with Sinbi.

Sok Ti, basically I am one of those guys that is pretty decent on the pads, especially in terms of power, but nowhere near half that actually sparring. Not sure why, I still do beginner esqe things when boxing inside, for example being taken by surprise or shutting my eyes, or getting hit by the same combos over again. Think it's a proximity thing, because at kicking range I'm fine and react properly... And I'm scared of hitting 'too hard' as well. Hence me thinking about sparring a lot, the Thais seem to go very light and technique based. Frankly, I don't like farang sparring from what I've done, especially newer people lol. And always slightly annoying when you have someone swingly wildly to knock your head off.

Lol at 'fought'. I'm quite tempted to fight now, but I'm literally only spending a week there so I'm worried about my fitness? (just because you can collect cash that would basically pay for a whole week of training and accom and more lol lol lol)

Very grateful for the 2nd para... Prices for staying at Suwit are pretty good, I agree I jus want my own room, as I had to share at Jitti and it's a bit weird lol. (even though the guy was really safe etc etc etc)

So I need to find somewhere with a fridge really, could go and buy up some food one day from a tesco or seomting... how long is the 'long walk into town'? As I said, I'm quite happy to walk/jog, but doing it twice a day I can imagine being a bit of a bummer. Honestly I found Bangkok a little boring too, I mean I saw the sites and went to MBK and whatnot, but there's not really a lot on. Not saying I'm going to party, but I'm sure one or two nights out and maybe a trip to the stadium would be nice!

Ok - any camps in Phuket that I could live near and not needa bike to get to the gym or get food? lol. That could be more important now eh, from my track record I'd be scared of renting a bike lol....

Thanks to you both! (wow apologies for the long winded post.. will keep it more to thep oint next time).

You can rent a small house close to Sinbi for 5-6k a month + electric.

Back