Pat Militech talks about Karimula

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by tat2man5k, Aug 14, 2015.

1. tat2man5k

tat2man5k Black Belt

OK guys, I just read "Stories from the Road" with Pat Militech, and it was pretty interesting, especially about the Chechen/Russian guys. One mentioned was named Karimula Barkalaev. He finished his career 11-1, his last fight being a loss to Dave Menne by decision. My question is this: has ANYONE ever heard of this guy? If so, why did he quit fighting? Anyone know anything? Thanks in advance!
    ***EDIT*** Here's his stats from FF:
    http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Karimula-Barkalaev-1836

2. Jblizzle

Jblizzle Red Belt

I've heard of him idk why he retired tho

I Remember Gilbert biting him and he and Arona got into some beef in Abu Dhabi back in the day iirc

3. waldywaldy

waldywaldy lol motherfuckers

I think he got thrown in jail in Abu Dabi after he got into a scruff with Arona at ADCC. Suposedly he hasn't fought since. Also the Menne decision was fishy but I don't recall the circumstances.

4. Rex Kwon Do

Rex Kwon Do ál-ḥámdúlílláh

Ah, Giblert, that little scamp! ( I know, I know, it wasn't Giblert... :( )

And Fightfinder says he's from "Dagestan, Georgia." Now I'm no walking atlas, but last time I checked, neither THE Dagestan nor any other Dagestan has ever been located in Georgia, so...

5. Rex Kwon Do

Rex Kwon Do ál-ḥámdúlílláh

Ok, just waded through the Russian section of the MMA interwebz, and the most recent post in a forum (from 2013) says: "Karimula Barkalaev is currently the director of the Republic of Dagestan's State Budget Institution 'Sports Complex named after A. Aliev'."

Whatever the fuck that even is. Sounds like he got a sinecure for being a fighter. No one else seems to know why he stopped fighting, though. Same things mentioned: the thing with Arona in UAE, Gilbert Yvel biting him...

6. tat2man5k

tat2man5k Black Belt

Thanks guys, for the info. He seemed like he must've been a solid fighter, but who knows?