Pat Militech says running ultra-marathons is probably tougher than fighting

Kneepocalypse

This is your god now.
@Silver
Reaction score
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/8/8...t-champ-mcgregor-would-end-up-in-the-hospital

Pat describes the Diaz brothers crazy endurance:

"Look, I’m training for a 100-mile run in two-mile altitude. The Diaz brothers do stuff like that on a regular basis," he said. "You cannot get them tired, you cannot hurt them. What can Conor McGregor do to Nate Diaz, that doing a 50-mile or 75-mile run can’t do to him?"

"There’s something different that happens mentally, and I’m learning that now, where training for a fight and getting in a cage is honestly, now when I look back on things, is kind of a joke. The mind games that you play with yourself when you go to war with yourself, when you’re running for 24 hours straight, and the demons that you deal with out on a country road in the middle of nowhere, while you’re running in 95-degree heat with 95 percent humidity and you’ve already been running for 60 miles and you know you’ve got 20, 30, 40 more to go – outsmarting another human being, intimidating them and beating their asses is really not that tough."

He also talks about how Conor would be hospitalized by the heavy welterweights of the division.

say nate will beat connie, I agree. but don't come up with crazy bullshit like this

say nate will beat connie, I agree. but don't come up with crazy bullshit like this
I'm gonna assume you've never been long distance running. That's a true mental war. Pat knows what he's talking about. He's been on both sides. Once you get 3 to 4 miles into the run you begin to want to quit. Then you push through and catch a second wind. Then you go through a much worse process over and over. It gets worse every time. That's a true blue mental workout. If you can do that, getting mentally prepared for a fight is a breeze. People die from trying it if they're not completely prepared. Not many people can do it.

I have a friend that does ultra marathons. Those are some gnarly dudes. I believe Pat, I think it makes you so mentally strong that other sports can't compare. Think about hitting "the wall" halfway through one of those races, and then pulling through and doing it, it's crazy.

i can only imagine that wall those guys must hit and have to push through in order to keep running, so i can understand the mental part.

i'd hate running for 24 hours, people do that shit? i'd pick 15-25 minutes of fighting over that shit.

I dated a girl that did 50k races and then stepped up to a couple 50 milers. Shit was insane. They're hell on your knees. She fucked up her IT band

It's fucking boring.
And it's even worse training for something like that. Running that thing over and over again. omg.

I'm not a fan, but I'm just curious, why do you call mcgregor "connie?" It's got more letters, and takes more time to type out. Do you do it because it's generally seen as a girl's name and therefore offensive?

I'm not a fan, but I'm just curious, why do you call mcgregor "connie?" It's got more letters, and takes more time to type out. Do you do it because it's generally seen as a girl's name and therefore offensive?
because that's what people start calling him as an offensive way to do it

and since he shouldn't be respected because he doesn't want to defend his title to pursue meaningless rematch, I say it

Nate Diaz has never run an ultra marathon, he's only done a couple triathlons and finished pretty low overall in the competition.

I don't think Pat really knows what he's talking about.

Imho, you're out of your fucking mind if you enter an event that requires you to run for 24 hours.

Long distance running is the toughest mental experience I can think of. Ran long distances (up to 10 miles) in the Mountains of Colorado many times and it is brutal. Boxed and fought a lot growing up and I would rather get hit in the head.

after listening to his Muay Thai commentary for Lion Fights Id just like to say this........

Shut up Pat

i used to not think much about long distance endurance events - ive changed my view on that recently pretty strongly - i used to think, oh its just boring anyone can do it, but that boring factor is actualy a big obstacle to overcome - you just have to keep going forever and keep pushing if you want to hit a certain time

Doing 15 miles was torture and I never made it to a full marathon. I didn't even know 100 existed. You have to have a little insane in you to complete that.

Good on Pat. Although he is an older guy now, so that may skew his frame of reference a bit. But some of those ultra runners have keeled over dead at shockingly young ages. I think it's objectively terrible for the heart.

Even on the standard 26.2, which is my upper limit, you can and do learn lots of interesting shit about yourself. When your glycogen is gone and everything hurts from the neck down and you can't tell what's cramp and what's injury, but you gut it out anyway, you'll grow a chest hair or two. It's not like being tired or sore, it's when your body is running on willpower and whatever scraped-together glucose you can get along the way. Very different situation than being "gassed" or just tired. It's an interesting experience to work through, mentally. Difficult or impossible to replicate elsewhere.

On the upside, post-run food and beer is the best food and beer you've ever had, every single time.

I've ran 5 marathons and I've competed at a world class level in submission fighting. Honestly running for 4 hours requires a huge amount of mental discipline and strength. Everything else becomes a breeze

Last edited:
I dont doubt it. I did a half marathon and felt like i was about to die half way through.

Last edited:
I agree, try running 10 miles on a treadmill and see what kind of shit go through your mind hahaha

Back