Pat Miletich responds to Oleg Taktarov's comments about real UFC dying in the 90's

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by PolskiGhost, Jan 20, 2015.

1. PolskiGhost

PolskiGhost Blue Belt

New interview with Pat Miletich over the weekend on Submission Radio

[YT]6JcuYv8byBM[/YT]

Some Topics covered:
    -What his mantra was when he started the Miletich Fighting System
    -The insane sparring sessions between Matt Huges, Robbie Lawler, Jens Pulver, Tim Sylvia
    -If Pat thinks that his 'hard sparring' style is still applicable in today's training
    -What it was like becoming a UFC champion
    -What it felt like being in a UFC tournament and what his gameplan was
    -How winning the Welterweight Tournament meant more than the title
    -Oleg Taktarov's comments on how the real UFC died in the 90's because of the rules and tourney format
    -Thoughts on the growth of MMA with the Fox deal and Reebok deal etc
    -Thhoughts on the UFC Lawsuit and if he'll be a part of it
    -If the lawsuit will result in a fighters union and what he thinks of unions
    -Robbie Lawler's career resurgence and if he honestly thought Robbie would win the UFC title
    -How Robbie was when he was young and some Gym stories
    -Robbie being a terrible matchup for GSP
    -Teammates fighting, why Pat is all for it, and what he thinks of situations like GSP/Rory, Woodley/Lombard
    -Tim Sylvia retiring
    -The Jon Jones Cocaine situation and recreational drugs in MMA
    -How close he was to doing TUF 3 with Carlos Newton and why it never happened

Some Quotes:

If Pat believes that the UFC was better back in the day of the tournaments

2. PolskiGhost

PolskiGhost Blue Belt

On Tim Sylvia retiring
    “I think things happen for a reason. You know an MRI came back that showed some abnormalities in his brain and that’s never a good thing, and obviously his weight had ballooned up quite a bit. He’s 370 pounds which obviously he shouldn’t be at that weight; he should be walking around at no more than 300 pounds, even less in my mind for him to remain healthy throughout life probably. But you know the injuries that a guy sustains over all the years, and the bigger guys are more susceptible to the lower back problems, the hips, the knees, the feet, and all those sort of things. And as you get older it gets harder and harder to work the weight off. Especially when you’re beat up, banged up, your lower extremities, you can’t go out and do road work, you can’t do things that you used to do to burn the calories, and so once you get to that point obviously it’s probably a good idea to hang it up.”

On why he never ended up coaching TUF 3 against Carlos Newton and what happened
    “Well I was on a movie set down in Mexico, a Paul Walker film actually [The Death and Life of Bobby Z] and the director John Herzfeld who’s a really good friend of mine got a phone call and said “Pat I got somebody on the cell phone that wants to talk to you”. So I walked over to him, and we’re in the desert in Baja, Mexico and I walked over and took the phone from him and it was Dana White. And he said “hey you know I’m just wondering if you’d say yes if I made you and Carlos Newton coaches of the Ultimate Fighter?” I said “yeah sure I’d love to”. And he goes "Okay". And Matt Hughes was fighting I believe that night. And so the whole crew from the movie, a bunch of the actors, Lawrence Fishburne, Paul Walker, the Carradine Brothers, John Herzfeld the director, myself, and some of the other fighters, Rob Lawler was one of them, Rory Markham, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell, Gan McGee; a bunch of us went over to a gold resort and they hooked up the pay per view for us so we could watch Matt Hughes fight Joe Riggs. And we were missing that fight, so we wanted to at least be able to see him fight. And Dana White climbed in the cage during that show and grabbed the microphone and said “I want to announce the fighters for the next season of the ultimate fighter” and I said “Wow he’s going to announce it. Okay cool” and he announced Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz. And everybody in the room turned around and looked at me with disbelief going “wow you just got shafted hard” and yeah it was pretty bad. I got blindsided pretty bad on that one. And you know Dana [White] has since apologized for that and everything is good with us, you know I don’t have a problem with it. But at the time it was not a pleasant experience because it was definitely a surprise.”

3. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

Good stuff. Thanks for the notes.

4. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

I love his reasoning for why GSP wouldn't beat Lawler. "He wont be able to hold Robbie down it just wont happen". This is what everyone thinks until it happens then they come back and say "GSPs grappling was very impressive he's better then I thought".

5. cyrusthevyrus

cyrusthevyrus Black Belt

Oleg was right. Real UFC = vale tudo fights, it was real FIGHTING. Nowadays, UFC is more SPORT than fighting.

6. MIKE BOWLING

MIKE BOWLING Purple Belt

Always enjoy your posts mostly cause u write out what was said as I and many others won't bother listening

7. K1MMA

K1MMA Saku Belt

Those tournaments and of course, PRIDE GP's were great.

I agree it's better than this (especially insta-rematches).

Btw, thanks for quotes.

8. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

Agreed I love that he writes out what they said and the good questions as well.

9. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

Good interview

10. xJust Scrapx

xJust Scrapx Green Belt

Awesome, Miletich is a true Ledge

11. skombolis

skombolis Gold Belt

Seems like a guy with his head screwed on tight. Those were all solid explanations.

12. Kafir-kun

Kafir-kun not-so-grand mufti of Sherdog

Democratic People's Islamic Republic of Kekistan
    Obviously he's a little biased but I think he has a point. Robbie showed in his fights against Kos and Rory a pretty solid ability to scramble to his feet and in the Rory fight he showed he has the ability to counter that Tristar style. I know GSP is a different, and I would argue much better, fighter than Rory but they do have similarities in their style and Robbie was able to hammer Rory pretty badly. So in a sense I do think he has a great style to beat GSP.

That said, while styles do make fights so does skill level. Water may beat fire but a Squirtle is going to have an uphill battle against a Charizard.

13. MikeHammer**

MikeHammer** Banned Banned

Being able to hold Robbie down is not even the point. GSP biggest strength, as he rightly pointed out was his transitions. If his opponent set his feet to strike GSP would change levels and put him on his back. If he set his feet for tdd then he would out strike them. So Robbie being able to get up means little if he cannot set his feet to strike lest he wind up on his back. Watch the Alves fight as example.

14. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

First off great pokemon reference and it works out perfectly. Also I'm not necessarily saying Pat's wrong cause he could be right it's just when you start getting into that sort of train of thought your basically just guessing.

15. barehanded

barehanded Purple Belt

Miletich just can't be objective about Lawler. They are very good friends and Robbie spent half of his life training with Miletich. He would have a chance against GSP but I would never bet on him in this fight.

16. Necrocrawler

Necrocrawler Purple Belt

Nice Interview. A shame Dana did the tuf thing with Miletich and Newton. Newton looks to be a very good coach (i guess).

17. PolskiGhost

PolskiGhost Blue Belt

Your always welcome, and that goes for everybody else. We love interviewing these guys so even if everybody won't listen to the audio, we like to know that as many people as possible will at least check out some of what was said.

PS, awesome Pokemon analogy for from A Psych Major. Gotta agree that Charizard is stylistically a tough match up for everyone

18. The Green Lantern

The Green Lantern Beware My Power...

Miletich is a legend. Oleg is right, too. One night tourneys were real man shit. I miss those days...

19. minowasmullet

minowasmullet Blue Belt

Good read thanks ts

20. Kafir-kun

Kafir-kun not-so-grand mufti of Sherdog

Democratic People's Islamic Republic of Kekistan
    I wouldn't say he was just guessing but I do think he's underestimating GSP and/or overestimating Lawler. That said I actually do think he's right to a certain extent. GSP had some trouble with the southpaws he fought. Nick Diaz was able to stuff his takedowns a few times and land a few of his straight lefts and we all remember how close the Hendricks fight was. Robbie has a lot more power in his lefts than Diaz does and he has some good knees that could help dissuade GSP from shooting in, not to mention with the open guard he can muffle GSP's jab, an integral part of his style.

Of course, GSP would be the favorite and I would expect him to win even if he did run into a little trouble. I just think Robbie would be a tougher fight than a lot of GSP's past opponents like Condit, Shields, Fitch, Hardy etc. Then again, that was said of a lot of GSP's opponents during his reign as champ and he beat all of them.
    I remember my Charizard actually wasn't that great. Now my Alakazam was the shit, he was like the GSP of my team. You knew I was going to spam the fuck out of Psychic on your ass but it still worked. Most of the time.

P.S. I also really appreciate you typing out the interesting questions and responses, I almost never actually listen to the interviews myself but because you write out the good bits we can have good discussions.