Pat Curran vs Justin Lawrence Added to Bellator 145

CC27

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/2...-curran-meets-justin-lawrence-at-bellator-145

Marc Raimondi

Another important matchup has been added to Bellator's next tentpole event.

Former featherweight champion Pat Curran will meet Justin Lawrence at Bellator 145: Vengeance on Nov. 6 in St. Louis, the organization announced Thursday.

Curran (21-7) is coming off a unanimous decision win over Emmanuel Sanchez at Bellator 139 in June to break a two-fight winning streak. The Illinois native is one of the most decorated performers in Bellator history with wins over Patricio Freire, Daniel Straus, Joe Warren and Roger Huerta. Curran, 27, could get himself back in the featherweight title picture with a win over Lawrence.

Lawrence (8-2), who recently made a change in gyms from Alliance in San Diego to Power MMA in Arizona, has won four in a row, including his Bellator debut via first-round TKO against Sean Wilson at Bellator 138 in June. The Missouri native is an alum of The Ultimate Fighter and former RFA featherweight champion. Lawrence, 25, remains a prospect in the 145-pound division.

Bellator 145 is headlined by a featherweight title fight between Freire and Straus. In the co-main event, Will Brooks will defend his lightweight belt against Marcin Held. Bobby Lashley and Michael Chandler will also be on the card.

Big step up in competition for Lawrence, not many options for Curran other than Goiti and prospects like Lawrence. Bellator has to hope Lawrence wins cause Curran is kind of in a tough spot in the div.

Been unimpressed with Curran as of late, hope Lawrence takes this.

I think I'm gonna have to accept Pat for what he is at this point, a very solid FW who occasionally flashes his brilliance and looks like a world beater.

These latest fight announcements have been looking very good. Finally, mixing old talent against competitive new talent.

Just saw this on Sherdog's front page.

It seems their really trying to build Curran back up considering that he's 2-3 in his last five. I hope that this is proper build up that leads him back to a proper to number 1 contender's match for the title instead of throwing him right back into the Straus/Pitbull/Weichel equation after having him beat guys that aren't on their level.

Curran got this. Lawrence has horrible fight IQ; he'll get overenthusiastic and get caught in a choke or something like that.

Hopefully Georgi fights the winner of this, or maybe make a fight between Weichel and Georgi.

Going to be a big step up for Lawrence. Went from debuting against a gimme to Curran real quick. But there really is just like Four top flight guys in Bellator at 145 than the rest are playing catch up.

I think Lawrence might pull the upset though. He's mixed it up well of late and Curran has looked very underwhelming of late.

I like that Lawrence gets a step up but I think it's a little too much too soon. I see Curran taking it comfortably but I'd like to see Lawrence get the win.

I like that Lawrence gets a step up but I think it's a little too much too soon. I see Curran taking it comfortably but I'd like to see Lawrence get the win.

Lawrence has looked good but since the guys he has been fighting arent on teh level of Curran.

Big opportunity for him, if he wins he instantly launches himself into a contender spot probably right behind Georgi. Depend on Georgi's injury and how fast Pitbull/Straus want to fight again a Lawrence win over Curran could get him the next title shot in the spring of 2016.

Big step up for Lawrence but should be a really entertaining fight.

Imagine Lawrence wins?! Curran would be done, IMO. If he's as good as some say, he should be beating young rookies like Lawrence with ease. I mean, at one point some thought he could beat Aldo?!

Curran wins, IMO. Either a submission or a comfortable UD.

Big step down, he should be getting a Weichel rematch. Lawrence should fight someone like Fabricio Da Silva, this is too much for him.

This is a bad fight for Lawrence but the perfect next step for Curran. Curran ir one of Bellators boys they obviously set this up to rebuild him not thinking bout Lawrence at all.

They should have brought back Diego Nunes for Pat Curran and then have Lawrence in another squash match... he needs to build up a resume and highlight reel, only 25 years old.

Back