Pat Curran vs Frankie Edgar

The UFC is the major leagues and organizations like Bellator are part of the the minor leagues

That statement is where your ideology falls apart. Bellator is 100% major league. They're just not as famous as the UFC. King of the Cage and NAAFS is the minor leagues.

That statement is where your ideology falls apart. Bellator is 100% major league. They're just not as famous as the UFC. King of the Cage and NAAFS is the minor leagues.

The major league is what the best organization is, with the best athletes. Bellator is just the top dog in the minor leagues at the moment. Everyone wants to be in the UFC, not Bellator. Bellator is a nice place to be, but it's not the highest you can get to and the fighters there are all aspiring to get to the next level. That's why I consider it a minor league org. It's bigger than the rest, but it's still a step below the UFC which makes it a minor league

Nice to see people still can't recognize talent outside of the UFC. :rolleyes:

edgar would outpoint curran all the way to a 50-45

Nice to see people still can't recognize talent outside of the UFC. :rolleyes:

It's not that there's no talent outside the UFC, there's just better talent in it than outside so when people say fighters who are outside the UFC aren't as good as fighters in the UFC it's because they haven't proven it by fighting at the level of competition that UFC fighters fight at.

You could've said Andrew Luck was a great QB based on his college career, but you couldn't say necessarily he was on the same level as most NFL QBs as he'd never proven it in the NFL like they had. He's gone on to prove that he can hang, but until athletes are brought to the next level you have to take their accomplishments with a grain of salt

Everyone starts in the minor leagues, but not everybody makes it to the major league so until they're there you have no idea how really good they are

STFU with this not a fan of the sport. The UFC is the major leagues and organizations like Bellator are part of the the minor leagues. Do you watch the CFL or do you watch the NFL? Do you watch the KHL or the NHL? Just because you don't watch every org that showcases the sport doesn't make you less of a fan. If that were the case you'd be at the park watching every team of 5 year olds play soccer if you were a soccer fan. People primarily watch the UFC as it is the big leagues and has the best fighters, just as people watch the NHL, NFL, NBA, and PGA tour as they've got the best athletes in their sport.

Funny how 5 of their champions came from "the minor leagues"

It's not that there's no talent outside the UFC, there's just better talent in it than outside so when people say fighters who are outside the UFC aren't as good as fighters in the UFC it's because they haven't proven it by fighting at the level of competition that UFC fighters fight at.

You could've said Andrew Luck was a great QB based on his college career, but you couldn't say necessarily he was on the same level as most NFL QBs as he'd never proven it in the NFL like they had. He's gone on to prove that he can hang, but until athletes are brought to the next level you have to take their accomplishments with a grain of salt

Everyone starts in the minor leagues, but not everybody makes it to the major league so until they're there you have no idea how really good they are

nah this is bullshit,

there's plenty of good competition outside of the UFC to gauge a fighter's skill on, especially at the lower weights.

curran beating pitbull, sandro, warren, palomino and mann proves he's an elite FW, all of those guys are talented fighters. there's many common opponents amongst zuffa fighters and non-zuffa fighters too. prize fighting is different from team sports too, so your analogies are retarded.

Funny how 5 of their champions came from "the minor leagues"

Everybody comes from the minor leagues you idiot. In every sport you have to work your way up to the top and that's what every fighter does. Just because you're in the minor leagues doesn't mean you don't have talent, just you haven't faced the best competition in the world as the best are in the major league. The UFC has the #1 fighters in all of MMA for every division that they have a division for so while you might have all the talent in the world, it doesn't mean anything until you prove it by beating the #1 guy. If you want to beat the #1 guy, you have to go to the UFC. Those fighters that you mentioned proved that they were the best by fighting the best, not by the fact that they came from other orgs

Edgar is just a little bit better everywhere, though I gotta say, I love Currans striking. Accurate, crisp, excellent jab and straight punches. It was impressive. Edgar would edge him out on points though.

nah this is bullshit,

there's plenty of good competition outside of the UFC to gauge a fighter's skill on, especially at the lower weights.

curran beating pitbull, sandro, warren, palomino and mann proves he's an elite FW, all of those guys are talented fighters. there's many common opponents amongst zuffa fighters and non-zuffa fighters too. prize fighting is different from team sports too, so your analogies are retarded.

No it's not. It's called prize fighting and the best prizes are in the UFC therefore the best fighters are also there, just like athletes in other sports go to the league with the best players. Curran gets his ranking as the UFC's FW division has only been around for like a year so the majority of FWs have primarily been outside of the UFC. But guess what? Aldo is still ahead of him and Aldo is in the UFC, not Bellator. Curran's a good fighter and I can see him being #2 for now, but as long as he's in Bellator he's going to be #2 just like Bellator is #2 and the UFC is #1. If you want to move up in the rankings, you gotta move up through the orgs too

It would be a dance not a fight

Hitting someone while being incredibly difficult to hit is dancing? Spoken like someone who has never fought before.

Fighters like Pat Curran/Frankie Edgar/Dominick Cruz are defense first fighters - they want to take as little damage as possible because it limits their ability to do damage.

This fighting style bores a lot of fans because they want people like Chuck/Rampage/etc. that are willing to eat shots to give shots; makes for exciting fights and lots of KO's, but isn't so good for the brain and body.

Since it's so easy to KO people and cause massive damage, why don't you go in there and show us how it's done?

The major league is what the best organization is, with the best athletes. Bellator is just the top dog in the minor leagues at the moment. Everyone wants to be in the UFC, not Bellator. Bellator is a nice place to be, but it's not the highest you can get to and the fighters there are all aspiring to get to the next level. That's why I consider it a minor league org. It's bigger than the rest, but it's still a step below the UFC which makes it a minor league

So anything that's not the UFC is the minor leagues? Did you not learn your lesson from the WEC and Strikeforce merges?

No it's not. It's called prize fighting and the best prizes are in the UFC therefore the best fighters are also there, just like athletes in other sports go to the league with the best players. Curran gets his ranking as the UFC's FW division has only been around for like a year so the majority of FWs have primarily been outside of the UFC. But guess what? Aldo is still ahead of him and Aldo is in the UFC, not Bellator. Curran's a good fighter and I can see him being #2 for now, but as long as he's in Bellator he's going to be #2 just like Bellator is #2 and the UFC is #1. If you want to move up in the rankings, you gotta move up through the orgs too

That's not true at all. Fedor was the #1 Heavyweight in the world for 9 years or so. He's never stepped foot in the UFC. Gil Melendez has been top 5 for years as well.

If you consider Curran the #2 FW and Aldo the #1, an Aldo loss would push Curran to #1. Wins and losses are all that matters. Not organizations. The higher-ranked fighters are usually in the UFC so you'd normally have to fight in the UFC to move yourself up the ranking ladder but it's not directly relative to which organization the fighter is in.

Who are you to tell people who's good and who isn't?

STFU with this not a fan of the sport. The UFC is the major leagues and organizations like Bellator are part of the the minor leagues. Do you watch the CFL or do you watch the NFL? Do you watch the KHL or the NHL? Just because you don't watch every org that showcases the sport doesn't make you less of a fan. If that were the case you'd be at the park watching every team of 5 year olds play soccer if you were a soccer fan. People primarily watch the UFC as it is the big leagues and has the best fighters, just as people watch the NHL, NFL, NBA, and PGA tour as they've got the best athletes in their sport.

This post makes zero sense. Combat sports is one guy v one guy. The org argument makes zero sense, like none. Saying you would rather watch two unranked guys in the UFC than curren v pitbull wherever makes you (IMO) either a UFC shill, or am idiot. Both are very possible. Oh, I can't watch Mayweather v canello because it's on showtime and not HBO lol.. Think about it, that is what you are saying, "I'm not watching Klitscho fight because it's on a showtime"

Makes no sense.

First, Curran could have easily lost last night. He had moments and his jab looked crisp, but he was vulnerable and not that impressive. Given he didn't check Pitbull's leg kicks we can assume Aldo would have wrecked him. Edgar would probably eek out a SD.

I used to train boxing at Curran MMA in Crystal Lake. Only for a few months. My boxing trainers name was Doug Mango. He was also the chiropractor there. I guess hes a great boxing coach by the look of the teams boxing. I remember the second time I sparred they put me against a amateur boxer who was a girl. She whooped my ass, my shorts were falling down during the sparring match because I was so skinny and getting hit so much. lol... good old days. That girl could steal probably kick my ass though

nothing to do with the topic lol..

Id pick Edgar by Decision or late TKO

I'd take Edgar in a UD ... and curran looks like a huge 145 lbs!

I'm a huge Curran fan but IMO he gets hustled by Frankie. Frankie is too quick, too accurate, and has a much higher output than Curran.

Well, it should be in the UFC section since the fight would happen in the UFC, I don't think he is the best either, his boxing just reminded me of Frankie and I thought it would be a good fight.

Currans boxing may remind you of Frankie.. Not me.

Frankie is much more quick on his feet than Curran. Frankies handspeed is on another level... I think Frankie Edger has athletecisim on another level from Curran.

Curran is very diciplined and clean.. Props for that... I just don't think his boxing is in the same catagory... I also think Frankie offers the takedown with much greater proficiancy... Just an all around better attack.

What Curran *may* do better than Frankie would be the well timed standing counters with his hands.... Curran shows great timing, which only comes with superb training and dicipline... This Curran does very well indeed.

Back