Pat Barry being huge

that could easily be a 10 or 20 pound plate and not very hard, he is just being an idiot

if that's around 135 or above, I can see this being very very horrible on your spine

if it's just a joke video and he is acting, then who cares

:eek:

The people saying it is a dangerous form are probably those who lift with the spine in the opposite configuration.

Looks horrible, starting to think Pat has been hit in the head one too many times.

Oh, look. It's a thread full of people who don't know shit about lifting!

Over extensions of the lumbar spine to turn a press into more of a bench press, thereby using larger muscles to press more weight is nothing new, and very strong men used to do it to get higher numbers back when the clean and press was an olympic weightlifting category.

overheadpress.jpg

But I guess it's soooo bad for you.

Somebody shoop Pat's head onto the the pic above

158408445.jpg

Bunch of negative nancies on this forum.

Barry is a positive, goal-oriented, and genuine guy. He keeps it positive and he stays strong despite his set backs.

I want every sherdogger on here to try to avoid saying negative things today. Just say the positive opposites of whatever angry, hate-filled crap you were going to spill today. Every put-down into an opposing compliment. Instead of "Bisping was never good" you say "Vitor showed he's still got it".... or conversely, if Bisping wins "Bisping really put his gamplan together today" instead of "Vitor is old and stupid and I hate him". :)

Smile bitches.

Loving this post lol, sherdog might not be as fun at times but it would sure as hell be less irritating

Calm the fook down couch potatoes, he probably just has 2 plates on each side and is pretending to struggle to fook with your heads.

looked like 135 to me. i dont think he was struggling at all just fucking around. a guy the size of barry could do that set once a week and not have back problems. i think at 225 that lift would be difficult for barry though, pretty sure that was 135.

i can tell none of you guys even lift. barry is just trollin u all. thats 135 baby weight. his spines fine.

where are they now?

Old, or dead from massive roid usage, would probably be a good guess. You let me know how many of them forever ruined their spine because of it. Doubt you find many.

It is lol. Open a kinesiology book.

Nice pic from the 70s bro.

Where else do you propose I get pictures of men pressing with that technique, considering it appeared at the Olympics for the last time in 1972?

Regardless of what kinesiology books say about biomechanics, you can rest assured that many strong men of old have lifted more (much more) with the same technique as Barry, without severe spinal injury.

Barry's lumbar spine probably isn't going to explode.

Builds the tri's, pecs and delts.... But does nothing for the chin!

Old, or dead from massive roid usage, would probably be a good guess. You let me know how many of them forever ruined their spine because of it. Doubt you find many.

Where else do you propose I get pictures of men pressing with that technique, considering it appeared at the Olympics for the last time in 1972?

Regardless of what kinesiology books say about biomechanics, you can rest assured that many strong men of old have lifted more (much more) with the same technique as Barry, without severe spinal injury.

Barry's lumbar spine probably isn't going to explode.

They removed it because of the hyperextension. It is bad form, period, which is exactly why you don't see pictures of people doing it anymore.

Sure, some proportion of lifters can press with that form and not get injured; it still doesn't mean it's smart, and it doesn't mean it's good form. It's a cheat to let you press more weight than you can actually handle. Any physical therapist, orthopedic surgeon, or physical trainer will tell you NOT TO DO THIS.

Go ahead and lift like this for a while, use a belt even. Come back after your surgery and let us know.

Was it GSP who said the only strength training he needs for MMA is gymnastics? This is probably one of the many reasons why Barry has such an abysmal record.

Snap, crackle, pop.

Then ya shit ya pants.

They removed it because of the hyperextension. It is bad form, period, which is exactly why you don't see pictures of people doing it anymore.

Sure, some proportion of lifters can press with that form and not get injured; it still doesn't mean it's smart, and it doesn't mean it's good form. It's a cheat to let you press more weight than you can actually handle. Any physical therapist, orthopedic surgeon, or physical trainer will tell you NOT TO DO THIS.

Go ahead and lift like this for a while, use a belt even. Come back after your surgery and let us know.

Many of the aforementioned specialties will say squatting to parallel is bad for you too, and I really don't take their opinions to mean a whole lot when it comes to lifting. I can see for myself that bio-mechanically, it creates large shear forces on the spine when weights are very heavy, a bad thing.

Can the large layback press get you hurt? Yes. Is Pat Barry's spine going to explode out of his back doing it with 135 (or even 225) on the bar? More than likely not. The discussion is not whether I'd recommend this technique to anyone, and certainly not whether I'd recommend it to the average Heavies weakling, it's whether Pat Barry is going to ruin himself dicking around like this.

The largest reason not to press like this? Because it serves no purpose. There is no competition to utilize it in anymore, and the bench press is the obvious choice if you are trying to strengthen the muscles of the upper torso.

Last edited:
don't hope some 15 year old fan of his sees this and starts doing it in his homegym on a regular basis

Guys, there is nowhere near 135 on that bar. Those "plates" are little plastic ones that you use to learn the Oly lifts with instead of just using the bar or a broomstick. He is playing around pretending to struggle with that last rep. It is 45 lbs.

Many of the aforementioned specialties will say squatting to parallel is bad for you too, and I really don't take their opinions to mean a whole lot when it comes to lifting. I can see for myself that bio-mechanically, it creates large shear forces on the spine when weights are very heavy, a bad thing.

Can the large layback press get you hurt? Yes. Is Pat Barry's spine going to explode out of his back doing it with 135 (or even 225) on the bar? More than likely not. The discussion is not whether I'd recommend this technique to anyone, and certainly not whether I'd recommend it to the average Heavies weakling, it's whether Pat Barry is going to ruin himself dicking around like this.

The largest reason not to press like this? Because it serves no purpose. There is no competition to utilize it in anymore, and the bench press is the obvious choice if you are trying to strengthen the muscles of the upper torso.

Muscle strength has nothing to do with the strength of the intervertebral discs and that's the big problem with this. It doesn't matter how physically strong Barry is--the strength helps with protecting his spine to an extent, but if he was doing this seriously over the long term, it comes down to whether his spine can take it or it won't and that has nothing to do with his muscles. It's a coin toss as to whether or not he would get a slipped disc, depending on his genetics.

It's like how even the most conditioned athletes in the NBA, who have great physical trainers, conditioning, nutrition, etc, have no way affecting the amount of cartilage left in their knees. Either their knees last them through their entire career, or some, like Brandon Roy, etc, wear away all their cartilage in their 20s. Just like no amount of exercise adds cartilage to that joint, and in fact exercise wears it down faster, no amount of back exercise strengthens the discs of the spine.

Now, as to the previous poster--I'll buy that he's goofing off and there's not a lot of weight on the bar, just like how Tank Abbot pretended to bench like 600 pounds on some clip. If it's messing around, that's fine.

But it's irritating to read other posters saying that a strong guy like Pat Barry who's in shape is in no danger from doing this lift regularly for real, and some go above that and claim that the people saying it's bad form either don't lift or lift wrong themselves.

Back