Passing Tornado Guard/ Inverted Half-Guard

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by nohuff, Aug 25, 2010.

1. nohuff

nohuff White Belt

Mike may see this and laugh hehe... oh well.

SOME individuals in my class have started to play around with this. I have been unable to find anything useful via a Google search. Does anyone have some good tips for passing tornado guard or inverted half guard? I do not own the Cyborg instructional... so I don't know if he has any passes in there or not.

2. nohuff

nohuff White Belt

3. thecheezman

thecheezman White Belt

try to control the leg that swings over. even before they start the move. try to keep heavy top pressure while in their half guard. and dont let the guy grab your leg. he cant effectively do the tornado guard without grabbing your leg

4. gannas

gannas Green Belt

5. MaiLeeGoodFck**

MaiLeeGoodFck** White Belt

pretty simple bro just push the legs down and hold him on the ground

6. gasmotorsports

gasmotorsports Orange Belt

holding his legs down doesn't do any good if he gets underneath you, thats probably what you meant. you have to focus on keeping his legs controlled don't let him underneath you and pass. also sometimes the guy inverting will leave his arm out trying to reach for your collar, I like to go for a two on one sleeve grip and lift them for an armbar. it sounds silly but if you can grip their collar behind their neck and lift them by their gi you can drop to your butt and try to take the back.

I don't have all the answers and admittedly get caught in some of my training partners inverted guards. this is just what makes me seem to last longer or pass. I'd like some help here too.

7. sanchezero

sanchezero Green Belt

don't have a helluva lot of experience dealing with this as only a few guys i know play it. however, when they do, my counter is to sprawl away and try to get their foot up near my chest. i then cut my hips to whichever direction seems appropriate (depending on their grips/pressure) and press back toward them. usually, this gives me a good pass with them on their side. i often treat it like n/s and switch sides to keep them frustrated.

the only real issue i've had with this is when i can't sprawl out of the pants grip. sometimes they're able to work toward my back but they're usually in a bad spot like they're being shaken off the top of turtle and that's usually how i defend that back take.

mostly success so far.

8. nohuff

nohuff White Belt

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like the priorities are controlling that inside pant grip on the bottom and forcing the swinging leg into a bad position (e.g. on the chest where it is harder to sweep, or just shooting my hips around it.

9. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

You may be doing it differently than I imagine, but if you watch the Cyborg video, he basically wants his opponent to sprawl so that he can attack with triangles and take the back.

10. chris1190

chris1190 Orange Belt

You could step your leg to the outside and work the stack pass I imagine. Thats how I was always taught to pass inverted guard and tornado guard is really just a variation of that. If nothing else when you step around the leg he is trying to lift you with he might be able to recompose to a traditional open guard game which I assume you are more used to passing. Hope this makes any sense.

11. sanchezero

sanchezero Green Belt

i'm probably not doing it differently :icon_chee. again, this is what seems natural to me with no real instruction on either side of the tornado guard. while i've watched the free clips from cyborg's vid i have waaaay to much on my bjj plate already, so, as cool as it is, i've had to postpone that stuff. now the guys i train with that use it probably just dabble in it anyway which allows my (apparently bad) ideas to work.

12. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

Some points to consider.

You can prevent the tornado guard by sprawling out the leg when your opponent goes for the pant grip, but also realize that you will open yourself up for a deep half entry.

Stripping the collar grip will also prevent your opponent from going to tornado guard, but be aware of them countering with an arm drag or re pummeling for a low under hook.

A couple of strategies I would try would be to go for the cross face as soon as they go for the pant grip. One weakness of the tornado guard is having to sacrifice one of your arms to secure the pant grip. This weakens you ability to create a frame to prevent the cross face since your only mean of control is the collar grip. If you can get the cross face and maintain it you can effectively shut down the tornado guard, since all your opponents counters require dealing with the cross face first.

Controlling the pendulum leg is probably the best means to neutralize the guard since all the sweeps, submission, and positional advancement require utilizing the pendulum leg for movement.

Also cross stepping, placing your free leg over the leg your opponent is using to trap your other leg will prevent the sweep and back take. It also helps create a passing angle. Cross step and control the pendulum leg and pass to the back side.

13. gasmotorsports

gasmotorsports Orange Belt

the pass you explained is the way I was taught but I didn't know how to explain it. I'm not sure I would know what you were talking about if I wasn't shown it.