1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Passing - Posture and Grips from the closed guard (vid)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by TrumpetDan, Sep 2, 2010.

1. TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan Green Belt

I posted a video lesson that I wanted to share in a new thread. I had some good feedback on my Roger Gracie narration I included in Lesson 1 so I narrated 4 matches of him applying some of the ideas I give in Lesson 2. At first I only did this here and there because I didnt want to seem presumptuous. I think I will include much more of this in my passing series. Minus my knees aching after a few takes on this, im really happy with how it came out. I hope you enjoy it as well.

Keep in mind my target audience is not people with more experience than I, but to help those with less experience weave a whole bunch of basic movements together into a system of jiu jitsu that you can apply at tournaments. So much of the time I got good techniques from my coaches and the interwebs but it was left up to me to weave it all together. I hope my videos help.

Subscribe if you like them to keep more vids coming.

2. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Nice breakdown, I was listening to your narration during R.Gs match and one point I wanted to mention about his reaction to the overhook is that It looks like Gracie is not attempting the tozi pass there, but rather with a wrist lock web he reaches his left hand over the opponents left shoulder and connects his hands.

Good stuff!

3. Bmurph

Bmurph Yellow Belt

Subscribed to your channel. Keep it up!

4. TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan Green Belt

Interesting. I base my analysis of that match on previous matches where he has completed the pass from beginning to end. His reaction was the same. Arm over...connect his hands...tripod and start to circle. I intend on asking him about this specific reaction when I take my lessons with him.

Do you have a video of the wrist lock web you mentioned? As somebody who uses wristlocks a heck of a lot, im said to say I dont know one from that position but would like to learn. I have never seen Roger attempt a wrist lock before as well.

5. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Hi Trumpetdan,

I'll see if I can dig up a video of that wrist lock, if I can't find one I'll film it. I learned it years ago, and seldom use it so I'll see if I can remember the details right.

I'd love to hear what he has to say about that (and whatever else you ask him about) when you learn from him, thanks!

6. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Couldn't find it anywhere so I filmed it. Please bear with me as it's been a while since I've done this one and some details may be off, also sorry the video is sideways lol :)

7. Luther

Luther Green Belt

I think you are in the right direction.

I find your comments about Roger matches insightful, then I go back to your lesson again and I appreciate it more.

Curious: why you interlock a finger when gripping both sleeves?

8. TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan Green Belt

This is what makes this forum so cool. It allows me to explore other interpretations of what he is doing. Maybe he is doing both too. Interesting video! I had never even considered the wrist lock. I will be sure to ask him.

Here is one piece of evidence that I have from a past match that lead me to the conclusion he was threatening a tozi pass. He is doing it here off of the SWG.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  9. TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan Green Belt

Thanks! Cool compliment.

I KNEW somebody would ask that when I went and watched my video when it was done.

For starters its just a grip I am comfortable with. More importantly, I find that when I really need to show my control over my opponents posture the angle of my wrist is such that more of my palm digs into his diaphram/bottom ribs. I feel I have more control and can prevent him from flaring my elbows out with the outer are of my palm digging in a bit. I am unsure about how important the girp is to what I actually do when rolling or if another grip would work just as well. Maybe its everything or maybe is just a weird quirk. Thats in part why I make these videos...to identify where I need to grow as a teacher and competitor. I think I picked this grip up from sean roberts if I remember correctly.

When I recover from my rib injuries and start rolling again I will check.

10. itslaura2u

itslaura2u White Belt

Dan - How might someone subscribe to your channel? I would like to tell a bunch of people about this and I don't see how to do it anywhere. Maybe I am just a little dumb and it is right in front of my face : )

11. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Nice! I've never seen that video before, thanks for sharing that! I've seen and been on the recieving end of that pass before (unpleasant to say the least, lol) but I had never seen Gracie use that before.

I love threads like this, I always learn something cool!

12. Bmurph

Bmurph Yellow Belt

Tonight was only my third BJJ class as I just started on Tuesday, but the people like you on this forum are awesome dude. I watched your L1 and L2 over and over today before class and made a point while rolling tonight to try it. I had a great roll with a blue belt and ended up in his guard. The whole rest of the roll I was working what you discussed in these two videos. Managed to keep my posture and not get swept, was breaking his grips the whole time while trying to get the ones I wanted and on a few occasions got the sleeve and stood. Wasn't able to break and pass his guard at all but I stayed calm got my base back and started again. Even though I didn't succeed in passing, putting these things into action was awesome.

Also, the biggest thing that resonated with me as a beginner, which I realized applies to everything in BJJ is PATIENCE. I constantly rush things instead of waiting out the situation and getting what I want. I was able to do that at least a little bit.

Fuckin right man. Got tapped plenty tonight, tapped no one and left with a huge smile on my face just because I was at least able to execute a tiny bit of what I wanted. Thanks again. Love this sport. I'm officially hooked :D

13. fiftysvn

fiftysvn Purple Belt

nice. love the narrated roger demos.

14. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

How long until the next vid?

:)

15. TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan Green Belt

This is why I love teaching and this made my night. Thanks.

MUFC...i teach at 10 tomorrow morning and ill try and squeeze filming a video in after class though no promises. After all, I am marrying the coolest girl on earth on saturday and have a few things to do tomorrow.

The next lesson is one of the coolest! Its how to stand...posture from standing...countering the underhook sweep to mount, how to open and my personal fav...the grip exchange.

Sloth...I recently gave my Roger DVD to Beniel Dariush and he comes up to me today...and goes..."i watched the first match in the Roger DVD last night and I picked up a good detail from when the guy overhooks you!" lol...he had a different take on it than both of us too. He just thinks its pressure on the neck via the tripod that forces a reaction. I suggested the tozi and he said he was going to take a look at the 06 match I posted here and then give the '10 one another watch. We should get a pool going.

16. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

Congrats!

17. cenix

cenix Orange Belt

nice. i've subscribed to your channel, too. thanks for taking the time to do these.

18. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Nice! That seems like a possibility also, his hips tripod up really high and I can imagine his weight would crush someones neck pretty painfully from there. Is that first match from pan ams 06? If so, do you know of any online stores or places I could get just disk one of that tournament? I already have disk 2 and am reluctant to pay the $50 for the whole set if I can find disk one for $20-$25 anywhere.

19. TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan Green Belt

budo videos has it but its kinda expensive. As far as I know, Pan 06 has not been ripped and put online anywhere. There is also a 3rd dvd (you have to buy sep) which has 1 Roger match where you get to see him pass using double underhooks.

There is a lot of stuff from pan 06 thats pretty interesting. The Lovato and Vinicius matches are the best off the set though. The Vinicius one I learned more about the standing position than I have in any other roger match. Since I have all of his matches edited together in one place, I cant seem to remember off the top of my head if that was on disk 2 or not. Im showing the stuff I learned in the next lesson with the video so you can see what im talking about.

20. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

Thanks for the detailed analysis Dan. Enjoy your stuff (subbed) and congrats on the wedding this weekend man. Good to see you're finally healed up.