Passing open guard for a noob

BobSacamano

White Belt
Reaction score
When I roll with high whites and blues they tend to immediatley go to some form of open guard on me. I am always helpless.

At first I was so concerned with passing, I didn't even think to break grips. So I went nowhere fast. Alot of struggling just to end up subbed or swept.

Now, I seem to concentrate on breaking grips, which I do, and have a free arm or two for a few seconds...I am still unable to pass. These guys are totally controlling me with their legs.

Sometimes I waste alot of time breaking grips, twisting and twisting, breaking and breaking, they just keep gripping again and again...and before I know it I am tapping or on my back getting mounted.

There are various ways they use open guard on me...they turn their hips and put a leg across my belt and the other on my hip. Or up on my biceps...etc...

Now, I know alot of this is inexperience but is there something I can work on.

Right now, the only true guard pass I know is the closed guard basic one. Elbows in, break, post an arm, stack one side, grab opposite lapel, pass...(bad description) and against newer guys I can manage that...if I try against an experienced guy I end up in a triangle or an arm is out there for the taking...And most of the blues don't even bother with closed guard...boom - right to open.

I apologize for the vague descriptions, but did this/does this happen to anyone?

When I roll with high whites and blues they tend to immediatley go to some form of open guard on me. I am always helpless.

At first I was so concerned with passing, I didn't even think to break grips. So I went nowhere fast. Alot of struggling just to end up subbed or swept.

Now, I seem to concentrate on breaking grips, which I do, and have a free arm or two for a few seconds...I am still unable to pass. These guys are totally controlling me with their legs.

Sometimes I waste alot of time breaking grips, twisting and twisting, breaking and breaking, they just keep gripping again and again...and before I know it I am tapping or on my back getting mounted.

There are various ways they use open guard on me...they turn their hips and put a leg across my belt and the other on my hip. Or up on my biceps...etc...

Right now, the only true guard pass I know is the closed guard basic one. Elbows in, break, post an arm, stack one side, grab opposite lapel, pass...(bad description) and against newer guys I can manage that...if I try against an experienced guy I end up in a triangle or an arm is out there for the taking...And most of the blues don't even bother with closed guard...boom - right to open.

I apologize for the vague descriptions, but did this/does this happen to anyone?

My friend Corky Ramirez up on 94th street has a problem with this, too.

Dont focus on just breaking grips. It is important, but 75% of the time you pass, they will still be holding on to something. A grip means shit if you cant do anything with it. And it is 100% possible to pass with them grabbing on to your gi.

Try the knee wedge pass, it works for people who keep your center of gravity low. Keep both your elbows inside, tight. In a regular position, you have both your knees on either side of them, when youre in someone's guard. Take one knee, and put it right up their ass. The other leg, post up and stretch it back as far as you can towards where their feet are crossed. Then on the side that you posted your foot, take that arm and swim it under their foot, and circle out from under, underpass, or etc to get out. Just keep that leg you have down, because a triangle and armbar are a constant threat.

Here is a good spider pass to start.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TxoWSI76IB0

Instead of swinging his leg away like Ze Mario shows it, I like to grab the same side pant leg and arm and pull my opponent up to finish the pass.

This doesn't work that well against more advance grapplers but a great beginner pass of an open type guard, is to cinch the knees together real tight with your arms. use your head to put pressure on ther mid section the swing the feet to one side and scoot around to side. Real simple, not going to work against your better grapplers but it gives you an option for an open guard.

Your "closed guard guard pass" is passing the open guard. If you do the pass correctly and you lock the hips down, you will not be in danger.

Guard pass is a Guard pass ..

Closed guard is a break ?

start with double unders and play around with hip control and fin what works for you

Back