Passing of a Great Sports Scientist

Brad Morris

Green Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
The world of sports science has lost one of its brightest and most influential figures! I searched to see if this had been posted previously but did not see any other threads.

I saw this posted on the front page of the Yuri Verkhoshansky website-

"With great sadness I have to announce that my father passed away at Sandro Pertini Hospital, Rome, on Wednesday, June 23 2010.

I wish to thank all those around the word who have sent messages of condolence and expressed gratitude for his work. My father will be greatly missed by us all, but I am sure his work will continue to influence many coaches.

In the last years of his life it was his will to divulgate his work in English directly under our control so that many of the misinterpretations due to inaccuracy of translation made in the past from his Russian manuscripts and articles could be understood.

The first step of this project was the website on which we started to publish articles and manuscripts and, according to his will, the site will continue to be open until all his works have been published.

Natalia Verkhoshansky"

Professor Yuri Verkhoshansky was arguably the greatest sports scientist the world has known! Dr Yessis had this to say about his passing "Dr. Verkhoshansky was a pioneer in developing the sports sciences not only from the theoretical side but also in a practical way. He will be remembered as the father of plyometrics, especially the shock method, and for developing and making practical the stretch-shorten concept: the basis for all true explosive training."

Thanks, Brad. I'm sorry to hear of Dr. Verkhoshansky's death. But it's great to know that he wanted his works translated to English.

Salute.

Thanks for sharing Brad.

Man, that sucks! I read his forum a few times. He would answer questions for random people which is crazy considering how high up this guy really is in the sports science world. It's damn near like Phil Jackson helping you with your jump shot.

Back